Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing the Australian yamaha factory rack
http://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/rear-carrier-8
Requires drilling ugly holes in the bodywork. Thankfully replacement fairing parts are very cheap if ordered direly from SE Asia and the bike can be returned to stock appearance stock for about $100.
The rack works well with my 37 litre Givi monolock case. Unfortunately the rear seat cannot be removed with the monolock plate fitted. The setup looks very strong and a fully packed givi case with clothes, snacks and toys in the5 - 10kg range is possible. With a large rider over 100kg the handling is not really Affected. A midget or dwarf under 50kg would have big problems with handling and would probably eat a semi at some point. The R3 is turning into a decent little touring bike.

In the nanny state of Queensland the strictly enforced speed limits with bullshit hidden camera vans rake in vast amounts of money. The highway limit can be as low 60km per hour in the middle of bloody nowhere, this means that better wind protection is not needed. Where I live the next major town is about 350km away. I can just reach it on one very full tank. Australia is empty of people compared to other 3rd world nations and it is awesome.
After 2 hours in the saddle my arse feels like its been to the Sydney mardi gras after party. I don’t really blame the R3 for this. I have same problem on my other bikes.
Maybe I just have a sensitive monkey hole?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Installing the Australian yamaha factory rack
http://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/rear-carrier-8
Requires drilling ugly holes in the bodywork. Thankfully replacement fairing parts are very cheap if ordered direly from SE Asia and the bike can be returned to stock appearance stock for about $100.
The rack works well with my 37 litre Givi monolock case. Unfortunately the rear seat cannot be removed with the monolock plate fitted. The setup looks very strong and a fully packed givi case with clothes, snacks and toys in the5 - 10kg range is possible. With a large rider over 100kg the handling is not really Affected. A midget or dwarf under 50kg would have big problems with handling and would probably eat a semi at some point. The R3 is turning into a decent little touring bike.

In the nanny state of Queensland the strictly enforced speed limits with bullshit hidden camera vans rake in vast amounts of money. The highway limit can be as low 60km per hour in the middle of bloody nowhere, this means that better wind protection is not needed. Where I live the next major town is about 350km away. I can just reach it on one very full tank. Australia is empty of people compared to other 3rd world nations and it is awesome.
After 2 hours in the saddle my arse feels like its been to the Sydney mardi gras after party. I don’t really blame the R3 for this. I have same problem on my other bikes.
Maybe I just have a sensitive monkey hole?
Since when is Oz a 3rd World Nation? I mean you don't have to make your own beer, after all, do you? Or receive your t-shirts in 250 kilo bundles from some U.S. charity, right?

We might call where you live "Behind the Outback Curtain" or "Out in the Friggin' Wilderness".

For your arse: put a gel pad in the seat. Works wonders! Plus, I have been told that attendance at the Mardi Gras doesn't require participation in any/all After Party "activities/proclivities". Is that not so?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since when is Oz a 3rd World Nation? I mean you don't have to make your own beer, after all, do you? Or receive your t-shirts in 250 kilo bundles from some U.S. charity, right?

We might call where you live "Behind the Outback Curtain" or "Out in the Friggin' Wilderness".

For your arse: put a gel pad in the seat. Works wonders! Plus, I have been told that attendance at the Mardi Gras doesn't require participation in any/all After Party "activities/proclivities". Is that not so?

We are similar to a 3rd world country. We change Prime Minister every year. Our internet is monitored similar to Iran's and North Korea's. And gay marriage is still illegal. However, parts of the Northern Territory have no speed limits and that is totally awesome. Hitting a Kangaroo at 200kmph,
not so awesome.:(

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
We are similar to a 3rd world country. We change Prime Minister every year. Our internet is monitored similar to Iran's and North Korea's. And gay marriage is still illegal. However, parts of the Northern Territory have no speed limits and that is totally awesome. Hitting a Kangaroo at 200kmph,
not so awesome.:(
Escape to Tasmania?

·
Registered
140 Posts
It looks good, but thats all it has going for it.

Ventura racks are just magnitudes better in terms of practicality. And no stupid hole drilling BS.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It looks stout enough; what did it weigh? Seems like a lot of mass to hang on the bike. Soon there will be a top case, then stuff in the top case...

thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks stout enough; what did it weigh? Seems like a lot of mass to hang on the bike. Soon there will be a top case, then stuff in the top case...

thanks for sharing.
The rack would weigh at least 5kg.
Last weekend I did 750km with 20kg+ in my top box.
The handling was not great.

Because the bike was built in a 3rd world country (Indonesia)
I have confidence that grossly overloading the bike should be
no problem at all. An Indonesian family of 4 could easily fit
on the bike with a small goat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installing the Australian yamaha factory rack5 - 10kg range is possible. With a large rider over 100kg the handling is not really
Hi, I'm thinking of adding this to my R3 to attach a 2x2cycles rack onto it so that I can transport my bicycle to races. Any ideas if it can take around 10kg or what you'd put on the back max.?

I know this is an old thread, cheers for any input :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts