Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got her naked and ready for the new add-ons. Still need to take the exhaust off - Should I go Slip on or full system exhaust???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
For slip on/full, what are you trying to accomplish? I've seen a few graphs and it doesn't seem worth it for me to get a full exhaust for power gains. Maybe for you though. You do reduce more weight than just a slip on though, so that alone might be worth it for you. If you want a change in sound, then either a full exhaust or an M4. Slip ons suck since the muffling on this bike happens mainly in the cat converter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
For slip on/full, what are you trying to accomplish? I've seen a few graphs and it doesn't seem worth it for me to get a full exhaust for power gains. Maybe for you though. You do reduce more weight than just a slip on though, so that alone might be worth it for you. If you want a change in sound, then either a full exhaust or an M4. Slip ons suck since the muffling on this bike happens mainly in the cat converter.

Going for looks and sound! I Purchased a Leo Vince Full System. I'll post photos as the rebuild progresses. I love the way the M4 sounds, but the fact is you need to cut the original exhaust cat off and weld in the new pipe for the shorty M4. Thanks for the input. Did you go with the chrome steel or the carbon fiber?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having just installed the M1 Akrapovic Slip On I have this person experience.

It sounds great, is affordable, sheds some weight and looks awesome.

Do i regret not getting a full system.... Well yeah because you can always sound better, be more lightweight and look amazing. But then no because its louder but not stupid loud, it's again affordable, and C) it still looks great.

I do not regret getting a slip on. Bike sounds like a real fucking bike now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Got the new break a clutch levers on, ignition switch and fender eliminated!!! Integrated tail light with LED plate light. Took the original plate light and cut the end off where the original bulb was, to power the rest of the electronics such as the PC Autotune and Annitori QS Pro. This way the battery isn't being discharged. Power Commander V was straight forward. Still waiting on my Leo Vince full system exhaust to come in from Italy. Should be here by Monday!

All that's left is the exhaust, rearsets, Mirrors, gas cap, front stay bar, Headlights and custom fairings.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More Updates - Exhaust came in but looks like the mid pipe comes with a standard M12 Bung for the stock O2 sensor. Sending in the pipe to get the M18 application to run the PowerCommander Autotune Wideband O2 sensor.

Meanwhile I got the very ugly stock exhaust off. Also got the rearsets in and a gps tracking device. Need to find a good spot to hide while connecting it straight to the battery. Thinking of using the starter relay to help hide this anti-theft device.

Project is moving faster than expected looking to have this ride ready within the next two weeks. Also still need to take the bike in for the original 3 recalls. So that may add a week into completing this project bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
whys the exhaust already scratched?

It's the old exhaust. Bikes been laid down. It's been in the garage for about a year now. Had to replace the forks, front stay bar. Started on both rearsets last night. Picking up the mid pipe today from the muffler shop http://miraclemufflerandtrailerhitch.com had the M12 bung removed for the Wideband M18. Almost back to new... I was in a hint-n-run got pushed into another vehicle. Just got the insurance check was lucky nothing happened to the frame.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks wicked street fighter style!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hpintojr

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got one rearset on, and finally got the mid section of the exhaust pipe back with the Wideband O2sensor. Super happy with the exhaust system took 30min to slap on the whole thing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was thinking about doing that type of conversion but it's not something I would take out to the track...

I'm thinking about doing my R3, now that i know what it would look like. It's my daily rider.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh God! Good luck with every installation! have fun

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh God! Good luck with every installation! have fun

It's going faster than I thought! Just got the new paint job today on the shell and still deciding what to do with the headlights currently OEM... Just finished taking the bike back to the dealer to take care of the two recalls it has. Once I get it back just need to setup the gear side of the rearset with the QS then calibrate. Lights camera Action. There's really not much to this little beauty. Just got my hands on the service manual last night too, so I was thinking of upgrading the head gasket before putting the plastics back on. Once I get home I'll have more photos of the new shell!

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's going faster than I thought! Just got the new paint job today on the shell and still deciding what to do with the headlights currently OEM... Just finished taking the bike back to the dealer to take care of the two recalls it has. Once I get it back just need to setup the gear side of the rearset with the QS then calibrate. Lights camera Action. There's really not much to this little beauty. Just got my hands on the service manual last night too, so I was thinking of upgrading the head gasket before putting the plastics back on. Once I get home I'll have more photos of the new shell!

Recalls?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts