Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My REV'IT SLR Race Gloves ($200) have developed holes in the palm from two years or riding - no falls. It is a bit upsetting because I expected that a midrange glove would hold up better than that. I am looking at spending even more now on some Held gloves around $350-400 but don't want to spend the money if they are going to do the same thing in two years. Does anyone have any experience with gloves that hold up longer or should I expect all gloves with heavy use to hold up only 2 years?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Man, I don't know what to tell you. Its all a crapshoot.

I have 300 dollar Dianese race gloves that are built similarly to your SLR gloves. Tight, firmer leather, lots of armor. It seems like stiffer leather gloves are easier to get stretched or ripped at the seams because they are so stiff. Anyway, I use those gloves the least and the seams are ripping apart.

Then I have some cheapo- actually my very first gloves, Icon summer leather perforated gloves that were 75 bucks. I always wear them, and they are still going strong. But obviously they are lacking real protection. They are more stretchy leather.

My wife has similar gloves to my Icons, I believe they are Speed and Strengths, have slightly more armor but they are of the softer leather, she has less ride time than me (If I were to guess, she puts as much time on it as my Dianese) and they are nearly busted and worn. Ripped and stuff. But they are fairly tight on her. She had to get herself some new A Stars after only 1.5 years with the S and S.

So, if I were to make an educated guess- if the glove is VERY tight on you where stretching occurs frequently, chances are it will start to rip at seams or friction points. My Dianeses I feel were too tight and I should in hindsight have gotten one size larger.

Besides that guess of mine, whether or not a expensive glove will hold up on continual use well, just think of gloves as the most abused piece of gear followed by boots (or perhaps the other way around?). Think of gloves as a consumable item. Jackets can last forever. But gloves are constantly being stretched and rubbed up against on a daily basis. I think 2 years is an ok amount of time, and don't expect any glove to last too long at all. Have that mindset that gloves will always need to be replaced.

·
Registered
732 Posts
R3 gloves
My REV'IT SLR Race Gloves ($200) have developed holes in the palm from two years or riding - no falls. It is a bit upsetting because I expected that a midrange glove would hold up better than that. I am looking at spending even more now on some Held gloves around $350-400 but don't want to spend the money if they are going to do the same thing in two years. Does anyone have any experience with gloves that hold up longer or should I expect all gloves with heavy use to hold up only 2 years?
That sucks. Personally, I like nice things & I have been accussed of being excessive on several things like casual boots, watches, tech (I'm a techie & IT worker), casual jackets, formal pants & shirts, etc. However, I'd like to think I'm pretty savvy, & prosaic but but not frugal about particular items. My mantra is to get quality but do not go overboard. That is the rub though-sometimes it's branding or cachet over actual quality. However, I'd rather spend more on 1 item than spend the same amount on multiple items. That's why I rarely get things on sale or outlet stuff-I've bought that type of stuff because it seems like a good deal, but never end up using it. Motorcycle gloves are a peculiar animal. I've bought cheap gloves and gotten good use but less protection. I think the sweetspot is in the $100-$200 range. I mean they're gloves and they are going to wear out and fall apart. I only wear short cuff gloves though. My Dainese and Alpinestars jackets have armor in the arms up to my wrist and even in summer, I like shortcuff when I might only be wearing elbow armor and an armored vest. Right now I have two Icon, two Alpinestars and one RS Taichi shortcuffs which range from like $60-$120 maybe and one set of winter Icons which are the only gauntlet gloves I have and probably were the most exoensive at $140 or something. The protection ranes from the cheapest Icons with rubber knuckle "nubs" to my two favorite carbon fuber armored Astars and RST's which get the most usage and wear. However they've held up since 2015 when I gutted my glove collection. I basically use neutrel Kiwi-just a tad-to keep them shiny and "saturated" with oil, polish, etc. I detailed cars while in Community College, and learned leather conditioner keeps leather moist and supple which prevents it from drying out and cracking prematurely. Anyway, point is that you can do a few things like Lexoling them but they're stull gloves which get a lot of wear and teat even when you're not riding; **** I'll even turn wrenches with them when I don't have my Mechanix gloves handy. After spending loot on parts and gear it all adds up so in my mind spending over $200 is excessive unless you don't care or have the dough, then by all means do what makes you happy and works. But like dude said, your gloves get a lot of use while a jacket can last a lifetime. Sometimes its luck, sometimes its the model or brand, but I think cost has little correlation to lifetime of gloves. ****, if Trump gets his way, foreign gloves will be costing a lot more anyway!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. Sadly I think y'all are on the spot in just assuming gloves are not going to hold up regardless of the brand. The seams were actually holding up fine but the leather itself was worn through to the soft layer inside. I may just save some money and go for another midrange track glove in the $200-250 range. I wish the premium gloves used a tougher palm leather. I would rather have less feeling than and more protection but maybe that's just me. There are some brands I just don't trust with their quality and my hands are valuable in my profession. The cheap gloves wear just as much if not faster in my experience but then again I've only used Icon gloves before in the $100 range and I was not impressed.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I can't comment on Held gloves because I have not used them but I have tried a few others. The best results I've had are from alpinestars GP PRO, they've survived atleast 10 crashes at the track and were used for atleast a year on the street before turning them in to a track only pair

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't comment on Held gloves because I have not used them but I have tried a few others. The best results I've had are from alpinestars GP PRO, they've survived atleast 10 crashes at the track and were used for atleast a year on the street before turning them in to a track only pair
That's good to hear you had successful experience with that glove. That is one of the gloves I'm consideringoing along with the Rev'it Spitfire. I may just have to give Alpinestars a shot over Rev'it this time around.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I put about two years into a cheap CG Bilt glove. They got a hole after I went down. I own some ~$80 Sedici full gauntlets and even after going down are still going strong. Brand names are cool but after reading of posts like these where more expensive gear is breaking down that early, I am putting more and more faith into the CG available gear. I have Astars gear, Komine gear, etc, some of my cheap CG stuff protects and lasts just as long as them.

For reference I was doing 9-12 k miles per year when I was still in San Diego.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can vouch for Held at least on a 1.5 year time-span. I got the Helds over Dainese and the other brands because of the Kangaroo leather and for my love of German Brands. Most people share the same feeling as you that since the leather is so thin that oil and holes could ruin the gloves fast. How I feel about this is that as long as you take care of them (actually use leather care products) you will have the gloves for years. My friend still has his original phantoms from YEARS ago and they are still fine and dandy after falling on some short lowsides. Just wanted to say their fitment is also amazing and they go up 1/2 sizes I believe. I'd recommend them, but I also got a soft for those lovely Dainese 4 Stroke EVO's.

Seriously though, Held's are as thin as paper but as strong as ****

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts