Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just commuting to work this morning and an idiot drove his rental car and completely stopped in middle of highway turn. The car in the front dodged it and I ran into the rear bumper.
I got off the site and asked him "do you drive on 17 often?" it's a mountain pass that everyone's aware of its danger to be on the left lane. He said yea and ripped out a freakin rental insurance 5minutes later
I'm fine with some bruises but the bike is totaled. The retired cop couple were behind me gave a statement but I doubt it's gonna change anything that would throwing it out of my fault because technically I "hit" him instead.

Once going through all the claim on my gear(helmet is gone, leather gears were damaged but should be still usable, wind breaker pants are gone)

Next bike I will probably look for a low CC bike with ABS on it. And still want fairing on it(not riding a naked bike on highway commute). Yamaha seem out of options(only FJ-09 has it?), any experienced rider here would recommend any? I would avoid aggressive positioning too just for comfort of my commute

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike, glad you're okay though, that's what really matters.

USA, we've got squat that's faired, 400-500cc, not too heavy, and casual sporting. R3, CBR 300/500, Ninja 300 ...

Seems like everything else is either crazy performance / hard seats / extreme body position, or heavy touring bikes.

If I smashed up my R3, I'd probably get a parallel twin Versys 650 and call it a day.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sorry about your wreck, glad you were geared up. Heal quick and good luck with next bike.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Next bike I will probably look for a low CC bike with ABS on it. And still want fairing on it(not riding a naked bike on highway commute). Yamaha seem out of options(only FJ-09 has it?), any experienced rider here would recommend any? I would avoid aggressive positioning too just for comfort of my commute
( FJ-09 is NOT a "low CC" bike. It's also expensive. )

You just described a 2016 CBR500R ABS model.
It gets 65 mpg, and is very smooth and reliable. Good commuter bike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Vince, sorry to hear about your accident.. unfortunately, I met with an almost exact same accident as you just a couple of days ago, except my R3 had ABS, and it was a rainy day.

Allow me to share my opinion about having ABS. In my situation, i'm not very certain if my ABS saved me or not because when i saw the vehicle ahead, i jammed brake. Of course with ABS, i didn't fishtail, but because my ABS kicked in, it resulted in me not being able to reduce my speed further before the impact. My front fairing is quite badly wrecked, mirror broke off, front forks are bent such that my front tyre is touching the bottom fairing. My bike is now with Yamaha to check if my frame is bent(Hopefully not otherwise my bike will be totaled too).

·
Registered
90 Posts
s**t happens Vince so don't sweat the small stuff and just thank God you're ok and can ride again!

Reactions: Decon blue

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just buy a used R3 for sale on the site! Ac ouple are going for cheap. Plus you'll have a part bike. Hopefully, insurance will pony up. Are you in a "No fault" state?

A Versys is way expensive. CBR500 is a nice bike but not much different than an R3 and less sportier. If I picked a new bike right now, it'd probably be an FZ600R. It's a bit dated in some respects but it's a great overall bike. I'd rather have an 600CC IL4 over a PT right now. If the Honda CBR650F or Ninja 650 improves, then I'd definitely give them looks too. But I guess, it changes everyday. for the foreseeable future, I am staying with my R3. Spent too much **** $ on it anyway. Love it though I do miss the giddy up of an IL4 600.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
( FJ-09 is NOT a "low CC" bike. It's also expensive. )

You just described a 2016 CBR500R ABS model.
It gets 65 mpg, and is very smooth and reliable. Good commuter bike.
yea like I said won't have any options in Yamaha right now for the line up
I will look into the CBR500R, hopefully an used bike for older instead of new one to keep the cost down(500deductible and most likely i'm getting only $3500 for the bike + gear reimbursement, not even enough to cover half of CBR500R new).
I could care less about how it looks and I maintained/fix all bike stuff myself anyway

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi Vince, sorry to hear about your accident.. unfortunately, I met with an almost exact same accident as you just a couple of days ago, except my R3 had ABS, and it was a rainy day.

Allow me to share my opinion about having ABS. In my situation, i'm not very certain if my ABS saved me or not because when i saw the vehicle ahead, i jammed brake. Of course with ABS, i didn't fishtail, but because my ABS kicked in, it resulted in me not being able to reduce my speed further before the impact. My front fairing is quite badly wrecked, mirror broke off, front forks are bent such that my front tyre is touching the bottom fairing. My bike is now with Yamaha to check if my frame is bent(Hopefully not otherwise my bike will be totaled too).
I don't think ABS would save me from this crash but there are couple close call in past months of riding that I wish ABS was there to help me out. It's not like I'm not confident with my skills but technology is there to help for a reason

Yea my bike front fork is all bent in to the fairing, I brought it to the bike shop and they were instantly telling me that's totaled already

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to hear about the bike, glad you're okay though, that's what really matters.

USA, we've got squat that's faired, 400-500cc, not too heavy, and casual sporting. R3, CBR 300/500, Ninja 300 ...

Seems like everything else is either crazy performance / hard seats / extreme body position, or heavy touring bikes.

If I smashed up my R3, I'd probably get a parallel twin Versys 650 and call it a day.
Yea it's a super narrow market that the market dictates we should ride easy or get a crazy bike?
I've narrowed it down to really only Ninja 300 or CBR 500(staying away from 300 for the single, at least a parallel twin man)
Versys is too pricy for me :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just buy a used R3 for sale on the site! Ac ouple are going for cheap. Plus you'll have a part bike. Hopefully, insurance will pony up. Are you in a "No fault" state?

A Versys is way expensive. CBR500 is a nice bike but not much different than an R3 and less sportier. If I picked a new bike right now, it'd probably be an FZ600R. It's a bit dated in some respects but it's a great overall bike. I'd rather have an 600CC IL4 over a PT right now. If the Honda CBR650F or Ninja 650 improves, then I'd definitely give them looks too. But I guess, it changes everyday. for the foreseeable future, I am staying with my R3. Spent too much **** $ on it anyway. Love it though I do miss the giddy up of an IL4 600.
No one's selling theirs anywhere nearby the area. Yea I looked through CBR500 is not much difference on the line up except the more upright position + ABS, not a bad idea for me now.
Those 600cc+ guys are out of questions right now(cost + gas + tire expenses). If I start riding in leisure it might not be a bad idea, not when I have to pump gas every other day for my commute

·
Registered
135 Posts
Glad to read you're OK. A lesson for all us riders here, for fun or commute. Cars and trucks will kill or hurt you. Bikes do not exist outside their comfort zone.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Offer this guy 4500 or something. Remind him that you have to pay DMV tax again, he's never gonna get that back.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/5689695845.html
It looks pretty new but the price seems pretty steep even at 4500

I'm looking at a honda 500cc for the same price with ABS
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5688115971.html

I won't be able to ride for at least another week or two until my body heals up(don't have a helmet too). I may even just sit this out and wait for the next up(prefer a 500r for better wind protection)

Speaking of which gotta shout out for my Kabuto Kamui helmet. They offer 50% new helmet or upgrade for 50% off too if you crash within 5years, Revzilla has it on sale for 30% off right now. Awesome service with quality. Many said it doesn't match up with Arai or Shoei but I like their fit better than those two brands until I jump up to another 2 notches of the price range to find something similar

Here's my helmet after sliding on the ground on a couple feet. My head probably was one of the impact zone too and it took care of me well

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Man, sorry to hear that Vince. Heal up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts