Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get back into motorcycle riding after being out for about 6 years, my first and last bike was a 2005 R6, am looking for something fun but less tempting to get into trouble with (have a kid and mortgage etc. now). So, I've been checking out the R3, mainly because it seems like it may hold my attention for a while, be pretty cheap, and help me get back into things.

I test drove a 2015 today with 7k miles on it and was pretty happy. Naturally not as fast as my old R6, but rev happy and super light, which was fun. Ergonomics were nicely balanced, felt like I could ride for a while, no problem. Brakes took a little to get much response but slowed well enough when I got on them. I also test drove a 2013 CBR500R and was less impressed... Engine was buzzy and flat and felt like a tank.

Anyway, the dealership quoted me $3400, which seems like a really good price. What do you all think? Coming from an R6 do you think I'll get bored? And, how good of a price is that? I'm also wondering if ABS is a big enough deal to consider a different bike or going with a new 2017.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey man, I think for the price that is a good deal.

You had an R6 before, so you know what that power feels like, if you plan on riding for fun, you should be fine with the R3.
For example me, I use it to go to work, ride for fun on the weekends, go here and there, but I don't plan on getting on the highway with it, so I know that the R3 is everything and more than I could ask for.

Hope it helps! :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You may be able to negotiate lower, or try for $3400 OTD. If you are looking for raw speed in a straight line, the R3 will probably bore you. I came from a 600 also as my previous bike. If you want a fun bike for the twisties, or the track, the R3 is tons of fun. I liked my R3 more than my Ninja in ththe canyons. Never tracked the ninja but I probably would like th R3 more, as I can say for sure it's tons of fun on the track.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I sold my 2015 r3 perfect condition 11k miles for 2800 cash. I would try and see if you can find someone local. No point in buying a used r3 from a dealer tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, typically, but the few that have shown up on Craigslist are priced even higher and people aren't budging. They all want $3,800+, one person is even firm at $4,350. And I'd rather not drive more than 200mi. Motorcycle prices are a little high around here in general from what I've observed. Maybe it is just time of the year.

I'll try to get them down to $3,400 maybe $3,600 out the door. I'll be OK with that...

·
Registered
204 Posts
That sounds like a good deal, not excellent but not bad either. The bike is fun and you will not get bored since you can modify the crap out of it for much much less than a r6. Plus once you want more power, if that's the case, keep the r3 for more spirited driving. R3 is for fun not really to show off or race lambos if you know what I mean. Great bike and very reliable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the advice, I ended up buying it after talking them down to $3200 for the bike +fees, so like $3600 OTD. I'm happy with it. Super excited to get out there and ride, was pouring rain all day today. Also getting ready to order up some new parts, fender elim, flush blinkers, ss brake lines, should be fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts