Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Well I traded my R3 in for the new xsr900. Not going to lie, it was a bit bitter sweet. I put about 5k miles on my R3 in 5 months, and I think it was a great bike to learn on.

Some thoughts on the differences between the bikes.

Obviously they are somewhat built for different purposes, but I think there is some crossover.

First THE POWER....Holy Bananas....the xsr is CRAZY fast compared to the R3. The first time I cracked it in first and the front wheel came up I laughed for like 5 minutes...the R3 sadly doesn't provided that experience...however you can romp on the r3 using all the power band and not go to jail if a cop happens to be sitting at the end of the road...you are in the xsr.

I think the r3 is actually more comfortable (except the peg position for my 6' frame, I much prefer the tall seat and pegs of the xsr). The seat on the xsr is wider and the bars feel like cliff hangers compared to the R3 (clip on's ordered for the xsr). But I think the xsr is easier to handle at low speeds (partly the wide & tall bars) and I don't notice the weight difference. Actually being taller, I think I am less likely to drop the xsr at a stop because when my foot comes down my leg is extended at a natural position vs. the r3 where my leg was bent a bit too much.

I think the R3 was a great starter bike and I am sorry to see it go. In a perfect world I would have kept it as a second bike. I think it is soo forgiving, handles beautiful, and is very comfortable. So why did I trade? Mostly the power. Did I mention the xsr made me laugh for 5 minutes? Also the retro design is more my style.

I also wanted to mention the rear tire which was my biggest complaint about the r3. I have yet to get the rear tire loose on the xsr which felt like a constant issue with the r3. I get the reason for the smaller (lighter) bias ply, but I much prefer not worrying about the the rear moving around all the time.

I am really happy I got my R3. I always wanted a motorcycle, however the nay-sayers in my life kept me away from them. The R3 provided an affordable, practical, and beautiful re-introduction (I rode dirt bikes as a kid) to the sport, and I think I am hooked for life...thanks to the R3.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike, man. Love the XSR. When I went in to purchase an FZ-09 a couple weeks ago, I really had to restrain myself from dropping the extra coin on the XSR. Such a beautiful bike IMO, enjoy it. Also, I agree, the triple's torque is real, I nearly $h!t myself the first 20 miles on the 09. I'm now ~600 miles in, and every twist of the wrist is still accompanied with a grin from ear to ear. However, you're right, buying a new bike is most certainly bitter sweet (of course when you have to give up the old one). I too miss my R3 and her playful nature.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
See.... power is your friend. This is why I have a CBR1000RR.

The XSR900 is better than the FZ-09. Yamaha fixed the suspension, and smoothed-out the throttle response on the XSR.
Get a tail-tidy kit on that sucker! Always respect the power. If you don't, it will bite you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! Tidy tail coming (although I am going to wait for more options to come to market).

·
Registered
223 Posts
lol, **** that is a huge jump from R3 to XSR900. I mean, people jumping to a 600 supersport seems ideal because the powerband is very similar but jumping to a torque demon triple and the entirely different powerband that comes with it that will bite you severely if you aren't careful, **** yo. Don't let that throttle give you whiplash and goodluck.

Maybe in the future you'll look into 300cc bikes again and appreciate them after sowing your wild oats.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol, **** that is a huge jump from R3 to XSR900. I mean, people jumping to a 600 supersport seems ideal because the powerband is very similar but jumping to a torque demon triple and the entirely different powerband that comes with it that will bite you severely if you aren't careful, **** yo. Don't let that throttle give you whiplash and goodluck.

Maybe in the future you'll look into 300cc bikes again and appreciate them after sowing your wild oats.
I have been using the "B" mode which relaxes the throttle inputs and it is really easy to ride conservatively without worrying too much whiplash..."A" mode on the other hand, you have to really think about it, especially in 1 & 2.

As I said I wish I could have kept the R3, and maybe in a few years I will pick up a track dedicated one.

·
Registered
433 Posts

have you compared an xsr900 dyno chart to a 600cc like the r6? the xsr's power delivery is smooth, linear and predictable compared to the 600s screamer engine which unloads big gobs of power in the higher revs...horsepower wise the xsr makes just a bit more than the 600 but not too much

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/11ss_yam.jpg

http://www.fz09.org/forum/69-xsr900-forum/11479-xsr900-dyno-runs-2.html

notice the sharp spikes on the r6 chart as the revs climb?

OP sweet bike, love the color enjoy her!

·
Registered
223 Posts
have you compared an xsr900 dyno chart to a 600cc like the r6? the xsr's power delivery is smooth, linear and predictable compared to the 600s screamer engine which unloads big gobs of power in the higher revs...horsepower wise the xsr makes just a bit more than the 600 but not too much

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/11ss_yam.jpg

http://www.fz09.org/forum/69-xsr900-forum/11479-xsr900-dyno-runs-2.html

notice the sharp spikes on the r6 chart as the revs climb?

OP sweet bike, love the color enjoy her!
No, I'm basing my reaction purely on the fact that I've ridden both an FZ09 and a 600 super sport (ZX6 and CBR). In the lower RPMs, the 600 is still fairly tame. In fact, that low rpm tameness is the very reason so many people can own 600 super sports as their very first bike (even if I don't necessarily agree with it).

The FZ09 on the other hand is dangerous from stop. I would never ever want to see a first time rider get on a FZ09.

Now, if you are an experienced rider, its fine. If you have 5 months of R3 under your belt, you are still learning and you definitely need to be very careful with the XSR900 which is still the FZ09, it just looks better and has more technology on it. But he is in B mode so that definitely helps. But its still fairly dangerous relative to the R3.

Crazy torque is just insanely dangerous to newbie riders. I'm not talking about HP. Its the torque you have to set your focus on in regards to the FZ09/XSR900. You just have to experience crazy torque to completely understand what I'm trying to get across.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
oh you have a cbr1000rr? thats funny I have never heard you mention it before.......
YES! I do..... in fact..... own..... a CBR1000RR !!! :laugh:

And let me tell you ALL about it!
It's STUPID FAST! It looks SMEXY NICE! It handles like a fighter jet! It makes my weeny bigger! It takes away my depression!
Cool kids wish they were me! It even makes FOOD taste better!

LIFE is GRAND when you are on a CBR1000RR !!! :D

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
YES! I do..... in fact..... own..... a CBR1000RR !!! :laugh:
And let me tell you ALL about it!
It's STUPID FAST! It looks SMEXY NICE! It handles like a fighter jet! It makes my weeny bigger! It takes away my depression!
Cool kids wish they were me! It even makes FOOD taste better!
LIFE is GRAND when you are on a CBR1000RR !!! :D
Whatever... I have a stupid nice Honda in my garage as well

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Funny thing is that my Honda and my Yamaha go for almost the same price new. LOL

Paid through the nose for that snowblower and waited 5 months to take delivery. As soon as I picked it up right around Christmas time, it stopped snowing. Nothing for the rest of the year.
It had better dump freaking dozens of feet in snow this year or I'm gonna be so bummed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts