Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm loving riding the new bike and I'd like to get some footage with the GoPro. Anyone find a way to successfully mount one on their bike? There's always the helmet mount option, but I'm looking for more of a 3rd person perspective. I tried a few things like mounting to the mirror, or the windscreen but nothing solid enough to handle the wind.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I used the Gopro kit called "Replacement Parts" it retails for $19.99. Comes with flat and curved stick ons, J mount and short L mount. A local motorsports shop has all Gopro accessories at 50% off, and I grabbed a bag of extra curved and flat stick ons too. I can see the camera vibrating during ride, but didn't see much of it when watching playback on the computer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I used the Gopro kit called "Replacement Parts" it retails for $19.99. Comes with flat and curved stick ons, J mount and short L mount. A local motorsports shop has all Gopro accessories at 50% off, and I grabbed a bag of extra curved and flat stick ons too. I can see the camera vibrating during ride, but didn't see much of it when watching playback on the computer.
For that angle I had mine on the windshield instead, near the mirror post. It doesn't vibrate and I can flip it around to film my head/upper body so I can work on improving that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh, you mean flip it like this? LOL. Seen many and I mean many mounted there on the windscreen. I just couldn't find myself sticking it out there in the open. Kind of like it inconspicuous when you slide the mount off.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
As you can see, the first try went on the right side. Didn't like the compass direction after sticking it on. I also didn't favor a right hand operation. Just haven't removed it yet.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Oh, you mean flip it like this? LOL. Seen many and I mean many mounted there on the windscreen. I just couldn't find myself sticking it out there in the open. Kind of like it inconspicuous when you slide the mount off.
Not sure what you mean by "sticking it out there in the open". Are you saying on the wind shield its out in the open but on the inner cowling it isnt? Its just as inconspicuous on the shield as it would be on the inner cowling. Reason I put it on the shield was because it offered the best view, not tilted, not aimed too far upward or downward. I found the best view for me by using first sticking some relatively weak doublesided tape on the mount backing, then trying it out on different areas of the bike. I used the WiFi function and the App to see what the actual footage would look like. When I found the best view, I removed the backing and stuck it on that spot. Heres a clip of how it looks on video from the last time I was at the track. Dont mind the white parachute cord strand, they made us "tether" the Go-Pros and Garmin we brought, otherwise they wouldnt pass tech inspection. Was a 5 second fix from what we had laying around lol.

EDIT: When you have it rear facing, does it cover the important parts (For me thats bike, head, upper body and arms, which are important when I am trying to figure out if my BP is wrong, so I can work on that)

https://youtu.be/Et2-pXqQDQw

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Suggest safety tether for all camera mounts - it is amazing how many of them fall off - you get some great footage when they do (if you can find the camera later). Most track day and race orgs require tethers - for good reason.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I'm playing around with GoPro mounts until I have enough $ for a Sena 10c.

I originally mounted to the left rear peg bracket but it caught too much of my leg in the view. I then clamped to the left mirror arm but that gave me jello (squiggly video)
I tried this yesterday and I'm pretty happy with the results. Simple flat GoPro mount on the front of the tank. I'm going to raise the camera up slightly but I'm happy with the results.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts