Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that have mounted your GoPro (or similar) with the 3M sticky pads....how well do they stick?

Thinking of putting some mounts on the bike, but having never used the sticky pads before I have no idea as to how well they hold up, especially on a bike!

·
Registered
140 Posts
3M VHB adhesive pads are insanely strong. Theyre pretty much weatherproof too. Unless your gopro cops a really hard knock its not going anywhere. However, other parts of the mount like the clip-in and arm extensions might not be as hardy, so definitely add a tether just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It's best to use a leash on it. If it happens to come off, at least it won't hit the road.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
At the track, most orgs require you tether it as well.

The mounts are really strong, but make sure you clean the surface really well. Also, before removing the sticky film, test it out so you are certain that the sticky mount is actually going to adhere to the surface. Different bends may mean that the sticky mount is only using 40-50% (made up number).

What I like to do is stick some weak double sided tape on the film, then mount it, then adjust the mounts/arms and view the camera using the app to see if I like that view. If I do, I clean that area, peel and stick.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It holds up very well mounted on the side of my helmet. 90 mph without tucking doesn't even change the framing.
I would recommend a chin mount location, instead of the side mount, sometimes I feel the drag on it and feels like it is gently pulling my head to the right.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I frequently had to REMOVE the adhesion mounts due to switching to various helmets... it is insanely hard to remove these sticker/mounts using force. INSANELY HARD. To remove them, you have to slip a credit card or something similar and slide it through between the adhesion, in which it is relatively easy. Believe me when I tell you those things aren't coming off through natural use.

But I do hear stories that after 2-3 years you may need to change them for new ones. I don't know, I'm coming up on 2 years soon.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sticks very well. Also a SJCAM user here, and even after a good rain shower, no issues.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for the replies and advice. Got myself some mounts so will start to have a look. Will definitely have a tether, one thing I learnt from diving, never rely on one thing keeping your kit safe!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I frequently had to REMOVE the adhesion mounts due to switching to various helmets... it is insanely hard to remove these sticker/mounts using force. INSANELY HARD. To remove them, you have to slip a credit card or something similar and slide it through between the adhesion, in which it is relatively easy. Believe me when I tell you those things aren't coming off through natural use.

But I do hear stories that after 2-3 years you may need to change them for new ones. I don't know, I'm coming up on 2 years soon.
A little heat (leave helmet in the sun, blow dryer, etc.) and a piece of thin wire - once you get under an edge you can usually get them right off.

As said, +1 on tether back-up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What road is that?
The first one with my helmet selfie is Little Tujunga, Ca. It's 10 minutes west of Angeles Crest Highway. Tight technical road.

The second one is Schueren Road, Ca in Malibu. Fast easy sweepers.

BTW, huge THANKS to your replies to my comments. You're very helpful. Do you work for Honda? LOL. JK

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The first one with my helmet selfie is Little Tujunga, Ca. It's 10 minutes west of Angeles Crest Highway. Tight technical road.

The second one is Schueren Road, Ca in Malibu. Fast easy sweepers.

BTW, huge THANKS to your replies to my comments. You're very helpful. Do you work for Honda? LOL. JK
Not sure what replies you are referring to, but I try to pass down what knowledge I can.

I wish I worked for Honda. Instead I only work for the gubermmints.

I am sure I have mentioned it before, but just in case, JOIN socalsportbikes.org! its the best forum for SoCal locals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone know of a cheap action cam that you can plug a 3.5mm mic into? I don't really want to spend the money on a hero3+ or better just to use an external mic.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have one on the chin part of my helmet but it's curved so maybe 30-50%? Of the actual sticky part is in contact with the helmet and it's on there solid. I do run a little piece of fishing line through my helmet just as a precaution.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Put a mount on my old helmet, not really sure I like the look or whether I could ride with it there, but its one to try. I already had the chest mount, used it on my test ride, but only saw the top of the tank for most of the ride when I played it back (winding on the throttle pulled my body down due to the long twist) might try it again with some extensions to lift it higher. Got a suction cup to try (with a tether of course) after I saw a youtube clip of a gsxr doing about 100mph using it stuck to the side fairing. Lots of the sticky mounts but will only use them if the suction cup doesn't work or I find some positions I really like.

cheers for the replies :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts