Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to see who else has a GoPro mounted, and do you mount it as a "dash cam" facing forward on the bike, on the helmet for a FPV, or facing back towards you?

Just got the bike last week, got my license over the weekend, and with where I live being a "vacation spot" I have already had a few close calls with idiots switching lanes, luckily for me I assumed they wouldn't see me, and was right, and was able to avoid being hit. So, that ebbing said, I had already been thinking about putting a GoPro on the front as a "dash cam" and now am considering it more, especially since with my Hero 5 Blacks I can add the GPS data (including speed) as an overlay if anything happens, so they would be able to see I was/wasnt speeding or that I slowed down etc. (the overlays can show speed, your path, and a few other things if I am correct)

what do you think? Was already thinking of just filming stuff for fun and posting some videos just riding during the summer and fall months here. (Not Motovlogging but just scenery stuff because I like watching it haha)

·
Registered
542 Posts
My opinion here, and a little blunt, so take it for what it's worth...

If you've almost been hit a few times already, it's your fault or you are exaggerating. I'd say almost every single "near incident" I've had with cars was in my first few months of riding.

Even with me riding like a d$ck, lane splitting regularly, rush hour traffic, jersey shore weekends, and massholes(really.... MA drivers are quite tame compared to NJ) I can count on one hand the amount of close calls I've had in the last four years of riding almost daily. All of them involved heavy merges on major highways. Stuff I should have been able to avoid had I been more careful/less aggressive/more patient.

Leave space, stay out of blind spots. Bikes are tiny and mobile, use it to your advantage. If you can't see a drivers face directly or in their mirror, they can't see your bike. Move around in the lane or pass the car Ride outside of cars so you can see well beyond them and you have an escape route if necessary. Anticipate lane changes, mergers, and tourists shooting across 3 lanes for that rt 95 exit. This will come with attention and practice.

Outside of that, sure, use the camera. I like to run one on the track or touring. I've clamped one on my frame sliders, attached it behind the rear seat facing front back, and by the headlight facing forwards. I don't have a strong preference to one or the other. I don't feel the need to ever run one on my day to day, too much work for no gain

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My opinion here, and a little blunt, so take it for what it's worth...

If you've almost been hit a few times already, it's your fault or you are exaggerating. I'd say almost every single "near incident" I've had with cars was in my first few months of riding.

Even with me riding like a d$ck, lane splitting regularly, rush hour traffic, jersey shore weekends, and massholes(really.... MA drivers are quite tame compared to NJ) I can count on one hand the amount of close calls I've had in the last four years of riding almost daily. All of them involved heavy merges on major highways. Stuff I should have been able to avoid had I been more careful/less aggressive/more patient.

Leave space, stay out of blind spots. Bikes are tiny and mobile, use it to your advantage. If you can't see a drivers face directly or in their mirror, they can't see your bike. Move around in the lane or pass the car Ride outside of cars so you can see well beyond them and you have an escape route if necessary. Anticipate lane changes, mergers, and tourists shooting across 3 lanes for that rt 95 exit. This will come with attention and practice.

Outside of that, sure, use the camera. I like to run one on the track or touring. I've clamped one on my frame sliders, attached it behind the rear seat facing front back, and by the headlight facing forwards. I don't have a strong preference to one or the other. I don't feel the need to ever run one on my day to day, too much work for no gain
While I get your opinion, two of the three times I was almost hit have been while riding down the same two lane one way road. Both were basically the same situation, first one, car in left lane, left signal on at a red light and I am approaching in the right lane slowing to come to a stop. Light turns green, I begin to accelerate (was still rolling) car takes a right turn in front of me, luckily had time to react.

Same road tonight, two cars in left lane, one stops to turn left into a restaurant, I was about 25 yards behind them when he stopped to turn, he was stopped in road due to a valet line and the car behind him was stopped. I was within 20ft off the rear bumper when I noticed they turned their wheels to turn into my lane to go around the stopped car, and they floored it out in front of me and another guy on his ninja.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Have mine in front windscreen, helmet(side), helmet(chin)...basically attachments can go anywhere on your bike to get the view you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
For the sake of filming a possible collision, chin mount on my helmet. I can move it around, catch plate numbers, etc.

For
Track days, I have it on the tail so I can watch how my body is moving after the session and see where I can improve. A dash view might also be useful, lets you know how fast you are in straights, corners, etc. I use a Garmin now much more than my GoPro. It's a better camera for what I am using it for.

·
Registered
223 Posts
For safety/insurance purposes, go helmet mount. I also have a cheapo camera mounted backwards on the tail.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Have mine in front windscreen, helmet(side), helmet(chin)...basically attachments can go anywhere on your bike to get the view you want

Is that the curved mount or the flat? Both of them seem to have a lot of space where they don't make contact?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is that the curved mount or the flat? Both of them seem to have a lot of space where they don't make contact?

It's a curved mount but your correct it doesn't contact the whole windshield but 90% and it works and I don't worry about it. I use a Eken H9 not GoPro and still have same results in quality IMO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts