Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm going to the Aim expo in Orlando this weekend. Hopefully Yamaha will have some there on display. I'll take some pics if so.

·
Registered
732 Posts
One with rear hugger and one not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No originally I posted the R6 (the one with the rear hugger) and was intimating that the new white R3 likely looked something like it. But Yamaha posted the white R3 on their site and posted a pick of the new white R3. Sorry for confusion.

Thanks for finding that. Doesn't look too bad. Would be cool if they did the Green/Yellow weeks from that R6/the FZ09 on the R3 also.
I agree. I like the gray tank on the R6 too. The yellow rims look amazing as a highlight on the white/gray R6, and would look equally as good on the white R3.

·
Registered
223 Posts
And here I thought the fluro yellow was exclusive to the MT/FZ line.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I've been suffering from an internal battle for about the last month or two now and this new R6 is not helping me at all.

Love the R3... want to keep it. With that said, I can only have one (if I want to remain happily married anyway)
The R3 is everything I need but is not everything I want.

The new R6 is everything I want but not at all anything I need. I don't track nor do I ride like I do. When I'm on the R3, I wish it had just a little more torque and I don't like how I have to rip quickly through the gears to get up to speed quickly. I wish the R3 was a little bigger in size. I feel like a circus bear on a miniature bike when I'm on it. I wish the ergos were a little different on the R3.

I settled on the R3 because as much as I liked the R6, I knew it was more than I needed. I also LOVED the price of the R3 in comparison to a new R6.
If I was just going back and forth on the R3 vs R6 thing, I'd stick to the R3.

BUT!... I want a Triumph Thruxton 1200 R. That's what I want. I looked at them before I bought the R3 and the only reason I didn't buy one was the price tag. The one I looked at was $13,500. Now, out comes the Triumph Street Cup. The Street Twin with all kinds of sexiness dribbled all over it. I love it.
So, do I keep the R3 and live almost happily ever after or trade up to the Triumph. And if I trade up to the Triumph, why not just go a little bit further and get the new R6

Ugh.. I'm not buying an R6 and honestly, I'm probably not buying a new 2017 Triumph either but it sure is painfully fun to think about it.

Jesus... I'm a mess. LOL

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've been suffering from an internal battle for about the last month or two now and this new R6 is not helping me at all.

Love the R3... want to keep it. With that said, I can only have one (if I want to remain happily married anyway)

The new R6 is everything I want but not at all anything I need. I don't track nor do I ride like I do. When I'm on the R3, I wish it had just a little more torque and I don't like how I have to rip quickly through the gears to get up to speed quickly. I wish the R3 was a little bigger in size. I feel like a circus bear on a miniature bike when I'm on it. I wish the ergos were a little different on the R3.

I settled on the R3 because as much as I liked the R6, I knew it was more than I needed. I also LOVED the price of the R3 in comparison to a new R6.

BUT!... I want a Triumph Thruxton 1200 R. That's what I want. I looked at them before I bought the R3 and the only reason I didn't buy one was the price tag. The one I looked at was $13,500. Now, out comes the Triumph Street Cup. The Street Twin with all kinds of sexiness dribbled all over it. I love it.
So, do I keep the R3 and live almost happily ever after or trade up to the Triumph. And if I trade up to the Triumph, why not just go a little bit further and get the new R6

Ugh.. I'm not buying an R6 and honestly, I'm probably not buying a new 2017 Triumph either but it sure is painfully fun to think about it.

Jesus... I'm a mess. LOL
I feel you. I dropped down to an R3 after being a 600 rider all my life. I have never been a "judge by cc guy." I argue with all the 750, 1000+ guys all the that say a 600 isn' enough. Pfft. A 600 will still do 0-60 in 3.2 secs and top out around 150. That is plenty the street. I had my 92 FZR 600 for 10 years from 95-2005, and my 2003 CBR 600RR 10 years too from 2005-2015. As motorcycle companies have innovated, bike models have and segments have expanded and blurred into each other. My one worry dropping down to an R3 was wanting to go back to a 600. Right now, I'm good, especially after dropping like $4000 in parts into it, to include the alarm.

In the future, I might go back to a00 and I really like the ZX-6R, and the new R6. AS I am "old school" and have never used ABS, I'm okk without it, but it might be handy I guess, and I am not one to fight against technology. I think the electronic rider aids will be far more helpful like riding modes and traction control. Hopefully I earn more money in a few years, and am able to have a few bikes. Right now, I wish I had a Triump Scrambler or Maybe a Ducati Scrambler 62, and ZX-^R, although I am kinda done with the harsh supersport posture. The new Ninja 650 is intruiging, but it is still a P-Twin. If I go back to a 600, it'll likely be an Inline-4. What I really hope is that Yamaha does is update the FZ600R. It is a great hybrid bike-comfort of a naked sport but power of a supersport. Eve though a lot of it is dated, it is superior to the Ninja and CBR650F.

I dig Triumphs too. The Daytona is nice, and so is the Bonneville, Thruxton, Street Triple, etc. My favorite is the Scrambler, as I mentioned earlier. ****, I'd love to have all of them. One day maybe. And that's not even mentioeing my car garage! I want old Acura NSX in manual. Like a 2002. I'd love a custom 4-door Jeep Wrangler. And as a Rally fan, I want a Subaru WRX STI, VW Golf R, and a new Ford Focus RS. Also, wouldn't mind an Audi R8, and a few others to join my bikes. I mean it's not like they're Rolls Royce's and Ferrari's. Just Jeeps, Sport Hatch's, and a couple of performance cars. I am not married yet, and don't know if I will marry, but hopefully marriage won't kill those dreams either.

But remember, total cost of ownership. With a Thruxton, your insurance will probably go way up. To me, the R3 is almost perfect. A perfect commuter, weekend warrior, and expandable enough to suit a lot of needs. However, if it lacks one thing, it is that warp speed you might need in a pinch. A full exhaust, air filter, PC5, and other mods can only do so much. IF I go back to a 600, it will be for that reason. Sometimes, you need warp speed to get out of a hairy situation.

With the regression I have seen in driving, it seems to more important nowadays. I am a huge proponent for better driving and riding instruction, tiered licensing based on displacement and vehicle size, harder examinations, etc. I see so many idiots drinking their Starbucks, texting, or driving distracted, it is ridiculous. Plus cars are so quiet inside nowadays due to improved interior engineering and quality that I think it makes people forget they're in a 4000 lb missile. I'm getting better, but I am a road rager. Not because of impatience or selfishness, but because of incompetence, distracted driving, and a total disregard for basic decency on the road. I swear, anytime I am considerate on the road, and let people in, or stop for a j-walker, it is rarely reciprocated. I see a-holes always looking out for themselves and cutting into spots ahead of everyone else. I really think we need driving and license reform and these idiotic ideas about autonomous cars is not the answer.

I guess, I am done for now. ;-)

·
Registered
197 Posts

Jesus... I'm a mess. LOL

It sounds like you might like the Honda NT650 HawkGT (1988-1990). I had one for about 5 years.
V-twin torque and a lot less shifting. The handling is incredible. At 100,000 km. it was running like the day it was born.
You can get a good one for $3000 or less.

·
Registered
139 Posts
With the regression I have seen in driving, it seems to more important nowadays. I am a huge proponent for better driving and riding instruction, tiered licensing based on displacement and vehicle size, harder examinations, etc. I see so many idiots drinking their Starbucks, texting, or driving distracted, it is ridiculous. Plus cars are so quiet inside nowadays due to improved interior engineering and quality that I think it makes people forget they're in a 4000 lb missile. I'm getting better, but I am a road rager. Not because of impatience or selfishness, but because of incompetence, distracted driving, and a total disregard for basic decency on the road. I swear, anytime I am considerate on the road, and let people in, or stop for a j-walker, it is rarely reciprocated. I see a-holes always looking out for themselves and cutting into spots ahead of everyone else. I really think we need driving and license reform and these idiotic ideas about autonomous cars is not the answer.
This, times 2!

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I could not agree more.
I ride with a Sena 10c camera mounted on my helmet because I know that if something happens to me, it will be because some jerk was on his phone or paying more attention to the condiments on their burger than how they are driving. I had no intention on vlogging but I have saved up quite a few funny clips of me either complaining, or yelling at people and telling them to put their phones away.
Funny thing... if I'm in my truck and I yell at someone who's texting while driving, I typically just get a finger and a few choice words in return. When I'm on the bike though, they mostly wave, apologize and carry on. They know they are taking risks and putting people's lives in jeopardy... they just don't care enough to stop. :mad:

It sounds like you might like the Honda NT650 HawkGT (1988-1990).
Those are VERY nice bikes and I'd love to own one new... I just don't wanna own a 15-20 year old bike. Nice bikes though, I agree.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Those are VERY nice bikes and I'd love to own one new... I just don't wanna own a 15-20 year old bike. Nice bikes though, I agree.
I hear ya. Actually mine was 27 years old, and had just turned 100,000km. As I said, ran great with no problems, but I knew eventually something would require big $$$.
Bought the R3 and it took about 10 seconds to fall in love with modern technology. ;)

·
Registered
856 Posts
So I wonder how hard it will be to retro fit the ABS option onto the existing R3's? .

ABS is the most retarded thing to fit to motorcycles, especially under 40hp/ 250's.

But for the freight there is hundreds of Aussies that have the hardware ready to throw in the bin, swap the wheels,RH fork leg, rear brake hanger ECU , ignition, wiring harness, heaps of brackets, bolts, ties and clips and Dash unit and you could do it.

You pay freight, i'll swap, MPH speedo will be OK for track
you can deal with the battery drain and corrosion in 10 yrs time, and shithouse brakes immediately.

Awesome way to add 6kg for nothing.

·
Registered
810 Posts
ABS is the most retarded thing to fit to motorcycles, especially under 40hp/ 250's.

But for the freight there is hundreds of Aussies that have the hardware ready to throw in the bin, swap the wheels,RH fork leg, rear brake hanger ECU , ignition, wiring harness, heaps of brackets, bolts, ties and clips and Dash unit and you could do it.

you can deal with the battery drain and corrosion in 10 yrs time, and shithouse brakes immediately.

6kg! Holy crap! That is a huge amount of weight on a little bike like this.

I wonder how much money the dealers make off the up sell to the ABS version.

·
Registered
856 Posts
6kg! Holy crap! That is a huge amount of weight on a little bike like this.

I wonder how much money the dealers make off the up sell to the ABS version.

There is around 3kg being removed depending on who's scales to believe, but the brackets and bits associated that can be removed.
And worldwide wet figures vary 163-166 for bikes with brakes,
and 169 for Anti Brake models.
Hondas CBR added 4-5kg, he Ninja is better at 3kg, but he Ninja is a porker heavier than its stats anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts

Why do you say that ABS is retarded? I would think that having the extra safety would be a good thing, especially on the street. Yes, I know you can practice threshold but in a panic situation, you might not react the way that you hope.

And how does this create a battery drain etc?

I just think it would be a nice thing to have and I just wondered how difficult it would be to retrofit. If I want to put it on my bike, isn't that my business?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts