Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I ordered a Brembo 15 RCS master cylinder/front brake lever & their Brembo P4 front caliper upgrade kit for my R3. Though I'd get a fancy anodized aluminum reservoir for it. Now the PSR is for the R1/R6, but since I am changing to6mm tubing and nipples on the MC, it will fit. If I encounter an issue, which I shouldn't, I'll just revert to the plastic Brembo reservoir and get the aluminum cap from Sato for Brembo reservoirs. Tricking out the R3 a bit.:)

I got it in gold because I have ordered Sato racing bar ends in gold and a few other odds and ends in gold which should look sick on my R3. I'll post pics when I am done installing. Anyway, the PSR reservoir is top quality. It is really heavy duty and everything looks like it is machined with strict tolerances, which it should be. The only gripe is the mounting hardware looks like it is plain steel which will oxidize fast, so I ordered some gold reservoir brackets from Sato which should match up well.

If you go with a brake hack like Kojiiro and Navin did or upgrade to Brembo, I'd highly recommend the PSR reservoir. The stock Yamaha MC and Nissin caliper uses 8mm tubing and fasteners so unless you can mod some type of adapter, you have to switch over to 6mm to use this. It's a little pricey but worth it.

Here are some pics. It's available in silver, gray, red, blue, and gold, obviously.

Here is the mounting hardware I mentioned.

Here is the link to the reservoir from PSR (I am not affiliated with them) if you're interested in it.

Here is a link to the much better Sato Racing reservoir mounting brackets (I am not affiliated with them either)

Here is a pic of the much better Sato Racing universal brackets

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Why didn't you try the R6 caliper/homemade bracket first?

What's wrong with the metal stick brackets? You mentioned they would oxidize fast but I have never had this problem before.

You might have to end up using the stock ones that come with the brembo reservoir anyways. I found their angle of the bracket is just right when you have it installed with clip ons. It just clears everything. Hopefully you have enough clearance with the ones you are trying to use. Would suck to buy extra parts and find they won't clear the windshield or fairings.

As for using a 6mm master with and 8mm, just use 6mm hose. It will fit just right on the MC nipple and be tight on the 8mm nipple of the R6 res but it will stretch and fit. Brembo brand tubing is flexible enough to make it work.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why didn't you try the R6 caliper/homemade bracket first?

What's wrong with the metal stick brackets? You mentioned they would oxidize fast but I have never had this problem before.

You might have to end up using the stock ones that come with the brembo reservoir anyways. I found their angle of the bracket is just right when you have it installed with clip ons. It just clears everything. Hopefully you have enough clearance with the ones you are trying to use. Would suck to buy extra parts and find they won't clear the windshield or fairings.

As for using a 6mm master with and 8mm, just use 6mm hose. It will fit just right on the MC nipple and be tight on the 8mm nipple of the R6 res but it will stretch and fit. Brembo brand tubing is flexible enough to make it work.
It's your fault! I saw your old bike's pic, and saw how beautiful the Brembo MC was on your R3, and that the lever was situated perfectly with lever guards, and wanted some better braking. Plus it was on sale.:)

Yeah, we'll see how it goes. I'm prepared to use either reservoir. Sato has a nice reservoir cap for Brembo reservoirs, so if I cannot use the PSR, then I might go with the cap. I have a Woodcraft universal reservoir clamp and a few different size Sat brackets, so I will try to make it work. Also, I am a big PC water cooler, and have plenty of 6mm ID Tygon tubing on hand to use.
Brembo has not released a matching clutch lever for the R#, so I went with a CRG SC2 clutch lever.

I have tons of projects to do, so gotta get to it. Excited about putting it all together. Since I have so many computer projects at home and bike projects, which I enjoy but are labors of love when you have a busy schedule, I just wanted to get everything set so I can start riding as soon as spring hits. I still may mess around with the Kawa N650MC/R3 Caliper just for fun, but with work and school, and certification tests, I wanted to simplify things otherwise I would be messing around with too many things and spinning my wheels.

http://i67.tinypic.com/11lrdd0.jpg

·
Registered
254 Posts
When your done can you post a picture of your new Brembo set up ? And with your new set up are you upgrading your rotor ? I was looking into the Galfer Wave front rotor.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
When your done can you post a picture of your new Brembo set up ? And with your new set up are you upgrading your rotor ? I was looking into the Galfer Wave front rotor.
That would be some serious overkill. In my experience (and humble opinion) upgrading just to SS lines and doing a good brake fluid flush is already a good mod for stronger brakes. People race on that set up. Upgrading the master cylinder and caliper is a huge improvement. Adding SS lines to the upgraded MC and caliper gives you amazing brakes. I think upgrading the rotors would be a waste of money, unless they were out of spec and needed replacing anyways.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Was thinking about ordering this reservoir from a US seller on flea-bay. What differentiates brake fluid reservoirs besides fluid capacity?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Was thinking about ordering this reservoir from a US seller on flea-bay. What differentiates brake fluid reservoirs besides fluid capacity?
Quality? I ordered a cheap one on my old Ninja and the res itself was alright, but the mounting bracket broke eventually. Big res full of brake fluid vibrating all day eventually stressed it enough to break it. What MC are you sticking it on?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm going to just upgrade to SS braided line's. The brakes are bedded in good and stop good. Maybe gets some clip-ons for above the triple clamp. Don't want to run into problems. Then I'm done for now :eek:.When I cross that rode hopefully in the near future I'll look into some new Evo S20's.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Quality? I ordered a cheap one on my old Ninja and the res itself was alright, but the mounting bracket broke eventually. Big res full of brake fluid vibrating all day eventually stressed it enough to break it. What MC are you sticking it on?
Probably try with oem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts