Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Love the Graves bikes. They used to sell the full race prepped turn key bikes.
I bet they still do, although not sure how successful they were...not many people willing to buy a $25,000 R6 or a $18,000 R3 ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bet they still do, although not sure how successful they were...not many people willing to buy a $25,000 R6 or a $18,000 R3 ;)
I asked them about the price. 10900.00 race ready. The most expensive R3 they offer is 13,500.00. I didn't ask about the R6 but I'd bet they are at least 25,000.00 I priced out all the parts in the build list the have on line www.gravesracingservices.com and it seems like a good deal. The cost of the bike ready to go is the same as if purchased the bike and parts. So it's like you get it built with their set up for free. Anyway check it out for yourself

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I asked them about the price. 10900.00 race ready. The most expensive R3 they offer is 13,500.00. I didn't ask about the R6 but I'd bet they are at least 25,000.00 I priced out all the parts in the build list the have on line www.gravesracingservices.com and it seems like a good deal. The cost of the bike ready to go is the same as if purchased the bike and parts. So it's like you get it built with their set up for free. Anyway check it out for yourself

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I know, they basically charge almost nothing for the labor because they make their money on the parts that go on the bike since they're obviously not paying full price like most of us would if you just bought all the parts from various distributors. But it's still a lot, because most Graves parts tend to be over-priced compared to other brands. I remember looking at the R6 Graves builds from a few years ago that were listed at about 25k, and it was literally all just bolt-on parts. I think the higher end option had a supersport engine build, which was a bit more expensive but the other one was stock. I imagine that 11k R3 is the same. And I can pretty well guarantee you that bike is not twice as good as my $6k build R3. You can do pretty the same type of upgrades but with different parts, and not starting from a brand new bike and get something at least as good for much less money.

From what I've seen in my experience, it is NEVER a good deal to have someone else build you a race bike. The cheapest option is always to buy a used already built one, followed by building one yourself from a used cheap bike, followed by building one yourself from a brand new bike, followed by paying someone to build you one.

Farrell Performance does a similar service for Kawasakis. A couple of years ago they advertised that they would build you a race-ready ZX6R, and it was somewhere around $15K for a supersport build, and that's if starting with a used bike. Prices went up from there. I paid $4k for mine which was already built and came with like $9K worth of aftermarket race parts on it. Pretty much everything one would ever want, except for the engine was bone stock (to my knowledge).

Those are all good options if you have a lot of money to spend, and you don't want to take the time. You're saving yourself on time and hassle and you at least know that I will (should) be done right since it's being built by someone who's done this many times before. But financially, it was about the most expensive option you can pick.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I just read an article on on Jackson Blackmon. This kid won the blu cru R3 cup final race at Wera GNF on a stock R3 lol. Well, almost stock. His dad machined some Rearsets risers, they fused an RS125 bellypan to the bike, and in winning the race, won an R3 lol. I do think that the price of it is a bit high. It also takes away the fun of building your bike but some people just don't want to deal with that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I asked them about the price. 10900.00 race ready. The most expensive R3 they offer is 13,500.00.
That was my recollection as well.

And I can pretty well guarantee you that bike is not twice as good as my $6k build R3. You can do pretty the same type of upgrades but with different parts, and not starting from a brand new bike and get something at least as good for much less money
100% agree on that. I have $6k roughly in mine with bike purchase and upgrades with around $2k to go I think IF I contract out all the suspension work. I've been tempted to get Dave @ Fast Bike Industries to do their full suspension kit on the bike. But I'm holding off until I get to know the bike a bit more...we'll see how this weekend at Road Atlanta goes :D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

100% agree on that. I have $6k roughly in mine with bike purchase and upgrades with around $2k to go I think IF I contract out all the suspension work. I've been tempted to get Dave @ Fast Bike Industries to do their full suspension kit on the bike. But I'm holding off until I get to know the bike a bit more...we'll see how this weekend at Road Atlanta goes :D
You don't even need that much. I spent $950 on the shock and $300 on the fork internals. It's pretty solid as is...I just need to get faster lol

A friend of mine who just got a ninja 300, which is just as bad in the suspension department, put a used Ohlins shock that he got from a GSXR, and left the forks bone stock. Didn't even change out the springs or fluid, and he currently holds the track record for little bikes at my home track, which is a fairly bumpy track too! At Road America he was running within a couple of seconds of the fastest guy in CCS Midwest region, and it was his first time there.

Only reason why my bike even cost me as much as it did to build is because there are barely any used aftermarket race parts available for these bikes. They're too new still and people aren't selling much yet, so I had to buy everything new. Give it a couple of more years and people will be able to build a pretty kickass R3 race bike for like $5,000 if you start out with a salvage bike like I did.

·
Registered
130 Posts

You'll be there? I'll be there Saturday as well; will be my first time at that venue.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You'll be there? I'll be there Saturday as well; will be my first time at that venue.
I may camp out in the pits Friday night, because if they do the track walk like usual I'd like to be there for it Friday evening. Saturday is the only day I'm riding and possibly heading home that evening.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You don't even need that much. I spent $950 on the shock and $300 on the fork internals. It's pretty solid as is...I just need to get faster lol
Oh I know, I mean if I do everything left that I want (not need) to do it'll probably be close to $2k. I bought a salvage bike as well and every part that has gone on it has been new also. It adds up fast when you get the nice parts :D

This was the kit I was speaking of, but I'm sure I could get away with less: http://www.fastbikeindustries.com/yamaha-r3-race-package.html

I'm not a racer, I just use this as my track toy...but I wanted all the bells and whistles this time. ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I may camp out in the pits Friday night, because if they do the track walk like usual I'd like to be there for it Friday evening. Saturday is the only day I'm riding and possibly heading home that evening.
They do a track walk the evening before ? I'm headed down with a couple buddies Fri after work, but if there's a time they do a track walk, I'd love to go for that.

I'm likely to do some upgrades from Fast Bike Industries as well, but have been hesitant because I'm unsure how much longer I will live in the area. With my luck, I'll dump a grand into upgrades for the bike, just as I end up moving and have to sell the bike.

The appeal of these "ready-made" bikes like the Graves race bike or having someone else put the upgrades on, is that I don't have the time nor space to tinker and work on my bike, aside from basic maintenance. Because I'm neat and quick, the apartment staff's never said anything about me maintaining my bike and car on premises, but I don't want to push that luck with a project of taking the bike apart and leaving stuff around for days. And I want to spend my weekends riding, not working in 32°C heat and humidity.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts