Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I recently ordered a Graves Cat back exhaust for my 2019 R3.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/graves-hexagonal-slip-on-exhaust-yamaha-r3-2015?gclid=CjwKCAjw1_PqBRBIEiwA71rmtaNaEErXbs1SGvqGqxN33vv8JCOJ3vjtf9slOaTycsGcqczBRPp34BoC2SMQAvD_BwE

So the website saying it fits 2019 R3, well it does not fit mine. It just will not go on. With revzilla support trying to assist me, they determined this case might be a “1 off” and they offered to exchange it for another. So I did. I received another cat back just today and it also does not fit.

Anyone else have an issue with Graves Slip-On for a 2019??

Any ideas??

Not the best pics but all I have on my phone at the moment. Trying to measure the outer diameter of the cat pipe and the inner diameter of the slip on.

Thanks guys,
Aaron

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Are you saying the exhaust doesn't slip over your factory exhaust pipe or the exhaust wont align with the factory hanger?

If it's not fitting, be sure to clean the surfaces and use anti seize to lube it up some. It's always tighter the first time around so try rotating and pushing in slowly and it should just slide right in. Fun fact, this also works in the bedroom.

If the pipe is fitting but not aligning with the hanger be sure you're mounting it to the correct side of the hanger. The tab on the exhaust should be behind your passenger peg hanger, not on top.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Any ideas??
If there was no gasket provided its an interference fit. Looks like it may be a hair undersized but without measuring with a caliper (not a measuring tape) couldnt say for sure. Use some copper antiseize as lubricant to see if you can get them to fit together

And yes according to the parts books all generation of R3 share the same exhaust so there shouldnt be a difference for 19

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you saying the exhaust doesn't slip over your factory exhaust pipe or the exhaust wont align with the factory hanger?

If it's not fitting, be sure to clean the surfaces and use anti seize to lube it up some. It's always tighter the first time around so try rotating and pushing in slowly and it should just slide right in. Fun fact, this also works in the bedroom.

If the pipe is fitting but not aligning with the hanger be sure you're mounting it to the correct side of the hanger. The tab on the exhaust should be behind your passenger peg hanger, not on top.
Lol thanks for the reply man. So yes what I’m saying is the slip on won’t fit over the factory exhaust pipe. I have tried lube (couple different kinds) and it is not working. I’m twisting and turning as you describe and it won’t go on. Something is wrong it should not be this difficult. I had an R1 about 10 years ago and it was a quick painless install when I did it then. Attached are some pictures of metal being shaved off the factory pipe from repeated attempts trying to put this thing on.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any ideas??
If there was no gasket provided its an interference fit. Looks like it may be a hair undersized but without measuring with a caliper (not a measuring tape) couldnt say for sure. Use some copper antiseize as lubricant to see if you can get them to fit together

And yes according to the parts books all generation of R3 share the same exhaust so there shouldnt be a difference for 19
No gasket provided. I know the pics are some half ass measurements lol but it’s all I could provide at the time. Even so it does appear the Graves exhaust is a hair undersized. If the 2019 exhaust hasn’t changed then I’m not sure what’s going on. Pictures attached of new metal being exposed from shaving of the pipe trying to fit this thing on.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ah yeah that shouldn't be taking paint off. Shoot Graves an email, their customer service is top notch. I had a loose rivet on my slip on so they reriveted the whole exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Possibly the wrong slip-on for the R3? Stuff happens, it wouldn't be the first time someone shipped the wrong part in the correctly marked box. ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The issue is because the 2019 has a different mid pipe diameter than the 2018 and prior. This is why any of the full systems will work as the routing and engine are the same, but the larget mid pipe on the 2019 prevents many of the slip on options (including the cat delete apparently) from fitting and many of the manufactures are not advertising fitment for the 19 or producing a different slip on for it. Source: Yamaha parts rep when asked about exhaust system compatibility and then later confirming by measuring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is it supposed to delete the cat converter? If so...you might want to cut the cat out. It’s heavy and ridiculous. I’m wondering if there’s confusion between you and graves. Your obviously installing after the cat..maybe they are sending you the one for a full cat delete? Installed on the other side of the cat by the O2 sensor?
Btw..the M4 Works titanium fits awesome on a 2019 !

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is it supposed to delete the cat converter? If so...you might want to cut the cat out. It’s heavy and ridiculous. I’m wondering if there’s confusion between you and graves. Your obviously installing after the cat..maybe they are sending you the one for a full cat delete? Installed on the other side of the cat by the O2 sensor?
Btw..the M4 Works titanium fits awesome on a 2019 !
Graves doesn't require you to cut your existing exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts