Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got the tank grips and the hand grips installed today...I kind of butchered the job on the throttle side so I think I will end up buying another set of replacements to try that one over again. It looks alright from 5-10 feet away, but up close it's pretty apparent that it's bad. But they feel nice, and look decent from a distance so...I guess I'm still happy with them for now

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
I got the tank grips and the hand grips installed today...I kind of butchered the job on the throttle side so I think I will end up buying another set of replacements to try that one over again. It looks alright from 5-10 feet away, but up close it's pretty apparent that it's bad. But they feel nice, and look decent from a distance so...I guess I'm still happy with them for now :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, fair enough. It was dark and I got excited.

Fixed. And even with bonus funhouse views of my feet for those of you who are in to that. I accidentally tore the rubber on the end of the grip on the throttle and tried to trim it to save the overall look...it didn't work great. I'll give it a week or two and try that whole thing again I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Lol, fair enough. It was dark and I got excited.

Fixed. And even with bonus funhouse views of my feet for those of you who are in to that. I accidentally tore the rubber on the end of the grip on the throttle and tried to trim it to save the overall look...it didn't work great. I'll give it a week or two and try that whole thing again I guess.
Some dish washing liquid inside the rubber grip will let you slide it on much easier. When it dries it acts like glue so the grip doesn't spin on the bars, but the grip is still removable. On my R3 I took a sander and sanded down about half of the raised bumps on the throttle tube. Grips went on easily after that.

Windex or water work, too. As does spit...see t-rav's post below....

·
Registered
717 Posts
Dish soap worx great..., as long as you don't get caught in the rain. Then it likes to lube back up. I have had good luck with jus plain ol' water. I actually had to use spit once at the track, as I was running low on H2O.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
I use any kind of contact type cement, that's all grip glue is. I usually have a can of 3M Super 77 or Super 90 spray adhesive around my garage so I use that a lot.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I don't prefer adhesive on my grips, simply due to the fact that I recycle my grips when I cash out one of my handlebars. The rubber on the inside of the grip actually adheres pretty well to the aluminum bar without twisting on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Aerosol hair spray has always been my choice for grip installs. Almost every house hold has some and it works great. Like lube at first and then it drys and sticks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts