Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I love the looks of the HID retrofitted headlights seen around the forum (especially the Anunaki ones), they're so expensive that I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. Thus, I decided to first do the cheap mod of replacing the factory halogen bulbs with other halogen bulbs to see if it's a worthy compromise to HID retrofitting.

Notable contenders (ordered by brand descending, color temperature descending):
  1. Philips DiamondVision
  2. Philips WhiteVision
  3. Philips CrystalVision
  4. Sylvania SilverStar zXe
  5. Sylvania SilverStar Ultra

To give some more detail, the Philips DiamondVision is advertised with a 5K color temperature (higher temp equates to a cooler light i.e. white/blue-ish while lower temp equates to a warmer light i.e. yellow/orange-ish), while the WhiteVision is advertised with a 4.3K color temperature, and the CrystalVision comes with a 4K color temperature. Sylvania doesn't list the color temperatures for the two linked products, but I suspect that the zXe has a cooler temperature than the Ultras since the zXe's are completely tinted in blue while the Ultra's are only partially tinted; the DiamondVision also comes with a full-blue tint so I'm going to assume the zXe also has a 5K color temperature. Now I have no way of measuring color temperature, and it's very possible Philips has a different way of measuring color temperatures than Sylvania, but I'm assuming Philips is at least consistent with its own line of products.

I wanted to start at the top end of the color temperature spectrum, and being that the DiamondVision bulbs were cheaper than the zXe bulbs, I went with the Philips DiamondVision. The following pics were taken within 5min of each other with overcast weather at 6pm in the summer.

Off-angle shot of both low-beam and high-beam. Even though the AUX light is a 6K LED, from this angle they don't look noticeably different.
IMG_20160813_192054.jpg
The darkened photo due to forcing the camera to focus on the headlight. You can clearly see the difference between the 5K headlights and the 6K LED picture here.
IMG_20160813_192105.jpg
Direct-angle shot. From this angle in the daytime, you can still see a difference between the 6K LED and the 5K headlights, but it's not too different.
IMG_20160813_192120.jpg

I didn't get a chance to take some nighttime photos or compare the visibility w/ these vs. OEMs; that'll come in the near future.

Pros:
  • cheap; I can test all the links above and still spend less money than doing an HID retrofit
  • easy and fast to install; no tools required nor mounting of additional hardware
  • absolves myself of glare guilt; the reflectors were designed with an H7 (i.e. 12V 55W) halogen bulb in mind, and these replacement bulbs all fit that criteria, so glare, if there is any, should be acceptable and within design spec
  • big maybe on DOT compliance; written on the bulbs themselves is "Not for use in Europe/USA", and on my particular package it says "Made for Poland", but they're H7 bulbs just like the OEM ones...

Cons:
  • shorter lifespan than HIDs or even OEM bulbs since people claim whiter color temperatures are only possible because the bulbs are being overdriven and thus its lifespan is shortened, but maybe this is a good thing because it means I can test more bulbs in a shorter period of time :D
  • lower visibility than OEM as claimed by some people
  • nowhere near as beautiful as HID retrofits :( :( :(

To-do:
  • update thread with nighttime pics and thoughts on visibility for these Philips DiamondVision bulbs
  • swap 6K LED AUX light with a 5K LED AUX lgiht and update thread with pics
  • test other bulbs

·
Registered
196 Posts
They look good. You're correct, they are technically not DOT legal in USA. They may not provide enough light output at night. I think they are marketed as "for display purposes only" in the USA to sell them legally.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Low visibility is a side effect of swapping to bulbs like these. The blue tint on the bulbs act as just that, a tint, and lowers the lumens rating.

If you want great visibility and don't care about looks, Osram makes a bulb that has an H7 base fitted with a H4 bulb that puts out something like 2100 lumens compared to a standard H7s 1400ish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What side lights are you using? I've been wanting to replace the OEM sidelights with something a little smaller - don't want to get the flush mounts - and those look perfect. are you using the same ones for the rear aswell? Any pics of the rear? :D

Good choice on the color of that bike, the 2016 grey looks incredible!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What side lights are you using? I've been wanting to replace the OEM sidelights with something a little smaller - don't want to get the flush mounts - and those look perfect. are you using the same ones for the rear aswell? Any pics of the rear? :D

Good choice on the color of that bike, the 2016 grey looks incredible!
Sorry for the delayed response, between being sick and work, I haven't had the time to snap a pic of the rear until now. For the front and back, I'm using LED turn signals from Yamaha themselves. The part # is YME-W0789-00-00. Like you, I preferred the looks of these LED turn signals over all the other options, but they are costly. :( For some unknown reason, Yamaha refuses to sell these in the US, so I got both pairs from an Australian dealership for $170 out the door; you can also get them online from Canadian dealerships, but the Australian one was cheaper for me.

Here is a photo of the rear (because I have an integrated turn signal tail light, I wired the rear turn signals to act as running lights as well):
IMG_20160827_161937.jpg

All the lights are inadvertently shown darker because my camera focused weirdly; you can get a better sense of the light intensity from this video on another bike:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got these LED lights from Ebay. About $40 for the pair, and they work great. Bright clean light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40W-4000LM-...lbs-6000K-White-/182017702364?var=&hash=item0

Only thing is you can't keep the back cover cap of the light housing in place, as there's no room. Unless you want to cut a hole out in the cap, for the rear of the LED unit to fit in place.
I wanted to retain the dust cap so these style of LED headlights were out of my list of options. On a related note, I know HardRacing was messing around with dust cap designs to clear those kind of LED bulbs (http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/554-electronics/58346-led-headlight-upgrades-r3.html), but I wasn't sold on the end compromise. A month ago, I heard VLEDs were designing these kind of LED headlights:

They look promising because they're able to retain the dust cap:

However, after seeing how much VLEDs were trying to sell them for, I decided to test halogen replacement bulbs instead. Funnily enough, you can't find mention of the SMZ technology anywhere on VLED's website anymore, so not sure if it was just vaporware.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Actually, with those LED lights I got off of Ebay, if you drill the dust cap as in the pictures above you can still keep them on the bike. Getting those VLEDs won't be very much different I would guess.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
How important is the dust cap? Does it basically just keep dust out of the inside of the headlight assembly? Or does it keep water (rain) away from the bulb?

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
How important is the dust cap? Does it basically just keep dust out of the inside of the headlight assembly? Or does it keep water (rain) away from the bulb?
Probably a bit of both. I had to drill mine out to install the wiring for the HID kit. But I put a rubber grommet in there and that keeps it fairly tight. I added some electrical tape to make it even better but its by no means air / water tight.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Low visibility is a side effect of swapping to bulbs like these. The blue tint on the bulbs act as just that, a tint, and lowers the lumens rating.

If you want great visibility and don't care about looks, Osram makes a bulb that has an H7 base fitted with a H4 bulb that puts out something like 2100 lumens compared to a standard H7s 1400ish.
My lowbeam OEM bulb just blew out at 2600 miles. Do you have an Osram part number for the 2100 lumen bulb?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Possibly looking to upgrade with HIDs and Im looking to aim the high beam light with the low and have them on at all times. It gives you more light without having to worry about blinding oncoming traffic.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts