Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happiness is having liter bike riders in the group tell you how fast you ride on your "R6"

Please, as a 30+ year rider stop worrying about size? Leave that to the lady's Focus on riding with confidence, honed riding ALL conditions.

ps I own a 150hp bike as well, but to ride it at 90% like R3 would be insane

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Happiness is having liter bike riders in the group tell you how fast you ride on your "R6"
Most of my rider friends know what an R3 is, or any other light weight, medium or liter class bike is. Its not like their IQ drops as the CCs go up. The cruiser guys might be fooled though hehe.

Please, as a 30+ year rider stop worrying about size? Leave that to the lady's Focus on riding with confidence, honed riding ALL conditions.
I know right?

ps I own a 150hp bike as well, but to ride it at 90% like R3 would be insane
Take it to the track and practice! Riding any class bike at 90% would be an awesome display of skill. That means cornering, straight line speed, stoppies, wheelies, etc. Not just straight lines. Not sure most of us can even say we ride our R3's at 90% of its capabilities.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I love hunting down Ducs at the track- there is nothing better. (And yes, I realize it's the rider, not the bike)
Don't get me wrong - I appreciate fine Italian craftsmanship and would love to have a couple in the stable.

It IS funny to see some frustration when your little R3 passes bikes with tons more Hp in the turns...... it gets better when they find out it's an R3...... good times.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I love hunting down Ducs at the track- there is nothing better. (And yes, I realize it's the rider, not the bike)
Don't get me wrong - I appreciate fine Italian craftsmanship and would love to have a couple in the stable.

It IS funny to see some frustration when your little R3 passes bikes with tons more Hp in the turns...... it gets better when they find out it's an R3...... good times.
The stereotype is real! I have met maybe 3 cool Duc riders. One was a female who was pretty humble and kept to herself, another who we discussed a while back, and the other is a guy who actually rides really well. On my first track day my friend Danny told me to "watch out for the guy on the Duc, he's probably a D-bag". Sure enough, not just that guy, but everyone on the track that day with a Duc is always some guy who thinks his **** smells better than everyone else's. What is it with them? If you are going to try to gain elitist status because of the expensive bike you own, at least be able to back it up lol.

EDIT: What I do hate is, as a beginner track day rider, when I pass someone on a 600 or liter bike and I am jsut doing my thing, not pushing hard, they take that as a signal to race, and then its like this guy rockets his bike at every possible straight, but just gets in my way in the corners.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
The stereotype is real! I have met maybe 3 cool Duc riders. One was a female who was pretty humble and kept to herself, another who we discussed a while back, and the other is a guy who actually rides really well. On my first track day my friend Danny told me to "watch out for the guy on the Duc, he's probably a D-bag". Sure enough, not just that guy, but everyone on the track that day with a Duc is always some guy who thinks his **** smells better than everyone else's. What is it with them? If you are going to try to gain elitist status because of the expensive bike you own, at least be able to back it up lol.
Ducati and H-D market similarly, in that owners are part of an elite group. Ducati much more so, and that draws D-bags like flies to slop*. You'd be surprised at how many 'first bike' owners there are too. So yeah, you have those guys, but you also have the other end of the spectrum: they bought the bike to thrash it and are regular guys in the pit. A couple of anecdotes, and we're getting off- topic here: At one time, I was looking at the 1098 and went to the dealer - I was interested in the "S" model, with upgraded suspension and brake package. Salesman tried to talk me into the "R" model as it would "give me more prestige". I told him: "you got the wrong guy, I plan to strip this down and thrash it at the track". He had the classic 'deer in the headlights' look after that - his pitch was having no effect. The other story is the new 1198 owner who turfed his bike leaving the dealership parking lot - saw that one in person - guy had virtually no MC experience.

EDIT: What I do hate is, as a beginner track day rider, when I pass someone on a 600 or liter bike and I am jsut doing my thing, not pushing hard, they take that as a signal to race, and then its like this guy rockets his bike at every possible straight, but just gets in my way in the corners.
Stay away from those guys - their ego will get both of you wadded. Had one of those send me and a buddy off track on successive laps - we'd pass the guy through a turn, he'd gas the straight, dive inside and then cook the turn, pushing us to the outside of the track - they finally pulled him after I did a nice somersault through the gravel trap....

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Ducati and H-D market similarly, in that owners are part of an elite group. Ducati much more so, and that draws D-bags like flies to slop*. You'd be surprised at how many 'first bike' owners there are too. So yeah, you have those guys, but you also have the other end of the spectrum: they bought the bike to thrash it and are regular guys in the pit. A couple of anecdotes, and we're getting off- topic here: At one time, I was looking at the 1098 and went to the dealer - I was interested in the "S" model, with upgraded suspension and brake package. Salesman tried to talk me into the "R" model as it would "give me more prestige". I told him: "you got the wrong guy, I plan to strip this down and thrash it at the track". He had the classic 'deer in the headlights' look after that - his pitch was having no effect. The other story is the new 1198 owner who turfed his bike leaving the dealership parking lot - saw that one in person - guy had virtually no MC experience.

Stay away from those guys - their ego will get both of you wadded. Had one of those send me and a buddy off track on successive laps - we'd pass the guy through a turn, he'd gas the straight, dive inside and then cook the turn, pushing us to the outside of the track - they finally pulled him after I did a nice somersault through the gravel trap....
Ever ridden one? My bud had a monster but thats not the same as any of their SS lineup. I hear about how light they are and wonder if they really live up to that hype, along with the hype of how flickable they are compared to a similar class japanese bike. I would imagine thats just a biased opinion from a Duc owner? If they really were, I might have to get in on this band wagon!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Ridden a couple, a 748 and a Panigale (very carefully). This is what you get: a piece of performance art, not unlike a Ferrari, really. Narrower than an I4 and properly set-up, a cornering machine. Big twins will pull strong in any gear due to a really wide torque curve and have a sound like nothing else. In too high a gear? No problem, just gas it. You also got astronomical parts costs, exceedingly frequent (valve) maintenance that could only be performed by factory tech else void warranty, and like anything Italian - capricious. The newer ones have longer maintenance intervals, seem to be more reliable and really are well thought out. I like the 848, but no dinero for that. You can find track bikes for pretty good prices (sub $5K), but most 'regular' Duc owners won't part with them for cheap.

·
Registered
433 Posts
you forgot to mention all the ladiesssss you pick up on the duc while riding in your wife beater and sandles down the beach front oh ya!! one day torrid... one day you'll have that white 959

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I guess I should of mentioned my 150hp bike is a 1098S :eek:

I have no complaints except that you have to ride it like you stole it!
Every time I take it out and focus on throttle control alone I end up riding crazy fast! My R3 I can ride almost as fast in hills, and super tight it rules. The R3 I can actually go out and cruise in the turns, Duc **** no! It only turns well on the gas period! I see my Duc getting sold soon or becoming a expensive track queen. Will not lie, I GO TOO **** FAST ON IT! >:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ever ridden one? My bud had a monster but thats not the same as any of their SS lineup. I hear about how light they are and wonder if they really live up to that hype, along with the hype of how flickable they are compared to a similar class japanese bike. I would imagine thats just a biased opinion from a Duc owner? If they really were, I might have to get in on this band wagon!
I've never ridden a Monster but at the local bike show recently I was checking out the 821. A fellow walked by with his buddy and said "oh here's my piece of ****. Don't touch it or it'll break down. Stroke the tank? Oh abs light just came on". He sounded pretty defeated. Still doesn't stop me from wanting one though. The 821 is a sexy beast.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Happiness to me is cruising up my regular canyon road at a reasonable pace, then having a douchebag on any other bike blow past me and cut me off trying to show off, only to round the corner and get caught in a speed trap while I ride by smiling. Happened to me 4 times last summer. One guy was on a Monster!

Once I even tried to warn a guy coming up on me, giving him the "cop" signal, as I got the same warning from an oncoming bike. He looked at me like he was too cool for us both before he blasted past me and right into the arms of 3 officers around the bend.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Well I guess I should of mentioned my 150hp bike is a 1098S :eek:
I have no complaints except that you have to ride it like you stole it!
! >:D

I hate you - I almost bought one and still kinda wish I did. That's what those things were built for. I WILL own one some day.
...and then there was the guy with the Desmosidici with 51 miles selling on Ebay. Kept in his NYC loft as a piece of art (which it is). ....

·
Registered
16 Posts
In regards to engine cc size and skill, it is definitely the rider, not the bike. I enjoy hearing light bikes wasting more powerful bikes on track or whatever. A comparative analogy is guns. If you can't shoot for **** though you wield a desert eagle yet a navy seal has a BB gun, who wins? Apart from bikes skill dominates equipment/gear in all facets of life.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Happiness is...... Getting sent home from work due to a power failure, getting kitted up and getting out on my bike. Weather was just right for it too. Yes, a good bonus afternoon :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Happiness to me is cruising up my regular canyon road at a reasonable pace, then having a douchebag on any other bike blow past me and cut me off trying to show off, only to round the corner and get caught in a speed trap while I ride by smiling. Happened to me 4 times last summer. One guy was on a Monster!

Once I even tried to warn a guy coming up on me, giving him the "cop" signal, as I got the same warning from an oncoming bike. He looked at me like he was too cool for us both before he blasted past me and right into the arms of 3 officers around the bend.
Happiness to that guy is riding his pace. Not sure if for your case specifically he was trying to be an ass and have that "I am better than you because I am " attitude, but canyon riders pass up other canyon riders all the time. I dont think its cause they feel they are better. They just have a faster pace. I certainly let them pass with no worries. I am slow in the canyons. Come to think of it, I am slow on the track as well.

In regards to engine cc size and skill, it is definitely the rider, not the bike. I enjoy hearing light bikes wasting more powerful bikes on track or whatever. A comparative analogy is guns. If you can't shoot for **** though you wield a desert eagle yet a navy seal has a BB gun, who wins? Apart from bikes skill dominates equipment/gear in all facets of life.

I like your gun analogy since I am pro guns as well. We were talking guns and work and I mentioned the .22, which I happen to enjoy very much. Cheap to shoot, so you get much more time on the range for less money.

I love shooting all calibers. I especially like the .22 cause its so cheap to shoot lots of rounds out of. People say that caliber isnt enough for home defense. Its not ideal but it can work. Shot placement will always matter more than caliber. If you arent confident in your shooting, dont own a .22 for home defense. If you gave me "just" a .22 to defend my home, I would be just as confident than if you gave me my personal preference (9mm Beretta).

Oh and happiness is riding at the track, in the canyons or just cruising, preferably with friends in any case.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I like your gun analogy since I am pro guns as well. We were talking guns and work and I mentioned the .22, which I happen to enjoy very much. Cheap to shoot, so you get much more time on the range for less money.
Me too. .22 cartridges used to be scarce for awhile. During the ammo-shortage period. I stocked up before the shortage hit. I try to stick with NATO calibers. For pistols, I like Glock. I only have one Glock right now, it is a Glock-21 SF. I really like it. It shoots great, is reliable, and easy to takedown and clean.

I have too many guns. I blame Obama. He made me do it. :laugh:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Happiness to that guy is riding his pace. Not sure if for your case specifically he was trying to be an ass and have that "I am better than you because I am " attitude, but canyon riders pass up other canyon riders all the time. I dont think its cause they feel they are better. They just have a faster pace. I certainly let them pass with no worries. I am slow in the canyons. Come to think of it, I am slow on the track as well.
Of course different riders ride at different paces. I'm referring to the douchebags out there with something to prove. In my cases they were said douchebags.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts