Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the R3 Andreani cartridge kit that I purchased from Hard Racing installed by 812 Suspension . I also purchased a Ohlins rear shock all were to be set up for a 170 pound rider. When all the work was done the Ohins rear shock was set up perfect but the Andreani fork kit was way to hard the spring was too stiff . I called 812 suspension back and was told to bring them back so Doc at 812 disassembled the forks and made some adjustments and he said they should be perfect now but they're still way too stiff with very little sag at all when I sit on the bike only about 1/8''-1/4'' . Doc at 812 said that it needs a softer spring and it may have not been set up right for my weight . I called hard racing back twice and told them and they were going to have their tech call me back but no call back. Has anyone else tried the Andreani kit and had a problem ?

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
looks like I need to fix my picture links...
http://fz07.org/thread/2415/andreani-advanced-cartridge-kit?page=5&scrollTo=41876

No sag means you have too much preload or wrong springs entirely. Without taking them apart (send me pictures) it's hard to say what's wrong. I'm in VA so I'm sure you don't want to ship back and forth.

The normal complaint with the Andreanis is the compression valving is just too stiff on anything that isn't a smooth race track. Generally when I install an Andreani I do
1) replace O-ring 'bumper' with top-out springs
2) replace the 'C' leg piston and install custom shim stack
3) install a base valve in 'R' leg and custom shim stack

The next one I do I'm planning to put in a custom bolt and machine the bottom of the cartridge base so you can control slow-speed comp characteristics albeit after pulling the axle out of the way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks like I need to fix my picture links...
http://fz07.org/thread/2415/andreani-advanced-cartridge-kit?page=5&scrollTo=41876

No sag means you have too much preload or wrong springs entirely. Without taking them apart (send me pictures) it's hard to say what's wrong. I'm in VA so I'm sure you don't want to ship back and forth.

The normal complaint with the Andreanis is the compression valving is just too stiff on anything that isn't a smooth race track. Generally when I install an Andreani I do
1) replace O-ring 'bumper' with top-out springs
2) replace the 'C' leg piston and install custom shim stack
3) install a base valve in 'R' leg and custom shim stack

The next one I do I'm planning to put in a custom bolt and machine the bottom of the cartridge base so you can control slow-speed comp characteristics albeit after pulling the axle out of the way.
Thanks Pattonme , I don't think it's too much preload I believe and 812 Suspension also believe's it the wrong spring , Hard racing were supposed to set it up for my weight . I did I track day at NOLA a smooth track and it was ok I'll be doing a track day at COTA next week and it's super smooth I'm sure it will be ok but not perfect but all the other tracks in Texas are very bumpy .

·
Registered
230 Posts
the spring is labeled for what rate it is. I would be surprised they put a spring that was too heavy in the box. The more common "failure mode" is Andreani just shipped the kit with the default spring in it (~.75 or .8?kg/mm).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the honest input. You could just give them to me.

Kidding aside, do you race your R3 or are you a track junkie?
I'm doing track days on it now working on getting it set up for racing only .I have 2 new R3's and the bone stock one handles better .

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'm doing track days on it now working on getting it set up for racing only .I have 2 new R3's and the bone stock one handles better .
Man, that's disappointing news. Have you opened the forks back up to see what the spring is stamped as? Maybe it really is just an incorrect spring sent to you?

Also, if it isn't too much, could you elaborate on how/why it's not performing like it should? You mentioned it felt too stiff, is that it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it's way too stiff like stiff as a f#%King wedding dick .When I sit on the bike the front forks hardly move at all unlike my stock R3 .

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yes it's way too stiff like stiff as a f#%King wedding dick .When I sit on the bike the front forks hardly move at all unlike my stock R3 .
Matt has promulgated several Andreani alternatives and competitors coming to market for the R3. For example, you could look into the Traxxion Dynamics Ak-20, Matris AK15 cartridge kit, and the Ohlins Nix-22's, which I am not sure have shipped yet. The former two run about a G I believe, while the latter is priced around the Andreani's.

****, if you go another route, I'll buy your Andreani's from you!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure yet what I'm going to do with the forks I just got a super nice set of used R3 forks off e-bay but thanks for the offer to buy them .

·
Registered
230 Posts
The Matris F15K kit is $500+$80 to fix. Seems none of these are correct out of the box. I'll have the K-tech equivalent thru my hands soon, hopefully.

Your Andreani experience is not typical, however. I've probably done 6 pairs so far. One that they insisted had to be in OE guise came back a month later with a "could you please fix this?" heh

I take it you can't get sag numbers either?

If Hard won't take it back the US Importer (Fast Bike Industries) stands behind the product line and is interested in good customer experiences. I won't put words in David's mouth but I work closely with him. So if you want to send them to me I'll investigate, no charge. And if you want an alternate product I'm happy to oblige. CapitalView liked what my fork solution did for his bike. But I expect he'll let us all know how well initial impressions hold up as the season gets started in earnest.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I may send them to you let me think about it after my track day at COTA next weekend . Thanks

1 - 20 of 39 Posts