Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whenever my girl's bikes hot , after we've been riding awhile it cranks slow and hates to start , some times it cranks for 20 to 40 seconds before it fires :eek:
anyone have any issues like this ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My bike seems to have some trouble starting as well. I haven't noticed if it occurs when it is hot/cold, but it definitely has trouble sometimes. I do no think it has taken 20-40 seconds to start though. I am assuming this is a battery issue. I might take it to the dealer and ask them to have a look at it. Eventually I would like to be able to just get a better battery.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My dealership added the acid after I bought the bike. Something about it being a safety hazard. So, this could be a dealer not doing their job.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Relative to my own bike which always starts in the same manner like clockwork, and is a Yamaha as well, I did notice my wife's R3 OCCASIONALLY has a slow/rough start that makes me wonder what's up. But not 20 seconds. I'm talking around 5 seconds at most.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine is slow to start unless I give it a bit of gas, but it's only after the bike is nice and hot from some higher rpm riding. Around town slow stuff it never happens. My dad's old vstar was the same way. Just seems to like being started cold as opposed to hot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Same problem. Cold fires up instantly, hot takes about 2-3 seconds. I'm thinking battery as well...more reasons to give the other half of why I "need" to spend more money on the bike xD

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya hers is probably more like 5 sec then it kicks out
Then she'll try again kicks out etc
I meant the whole process can SOMETIMES TAKE 20 to 40 seconds before it'll start
Cranks slow kicks out cranks slow kicks out etc eventually starts sometimes it takes 4 to 6 attempts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had the problem a couple times as well. Usually happens if I turn the engine off for only a couple minutes (3-5 min). It cranks for a few seconds, try again, cranks for a few seconds. What I have found to work is turning the ignition off and on, wait for the injectors, and starts up no problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This happened to me today. I went to the bank and when I tried to start her up she didn't want to. Took 3 3-5 sec. tries till she started up. I guess she was being a bit musty.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My bike does this too. Slow crank like the battery is a little weak. Or the engine is tight. Starts briefly then stalls. Second try usually stays running and then has no problems. The bike is ridden 80 miles every day so the battery should not be weak.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts