Yamaha R3 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
The dealership did not fix the issue. My bike still does it. It's extremely frustrating when you happen to kill the bike ( like me) and NEED to get the bike started right away. A friend of mine used to work at a Yamaha dealership and told me that I need to get a bigger cold cranking amp battery for the bike. Has anyone tried this yet? It's starting to become fall here, so I don't know how much more time out on the road I will get before winter hits. I would like to get this figured out before I have to put it up for winter.
How many miles on the bike now? Where is your fuel from? compression low?
Does it still start fine when cold? I have a theory it could be the fuel map when engine is in operating temp compared to cold start. Not sure if our bikes have that but I know cars have a cold/hot start map. RX7's have this problem when the compression is low or chamber gets flooded with fuel.Fuel washes some of the oil away to. If you happen not to get it started on the first crack it takes a bit to unflood the engine. Might be a similar problem. I know a faster spinning starter makes more compression which helps the fuels combustion. Maybe thinking that. I say try it out, nothing to loose! lol

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I'm wondering whether the "takes over 5 seconds" is anecdotal or it actually takes that long. Do the 'one Mississippi, two..." thing while starting and see what you come up with. I haven't had it take more than a second or two every now and then.

As far as the oil light goes, it's normal for it to come on during start-up and stay on a second or so until oil pressure builds up.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
As far as the oil light goes, it's normal for it to come on during start-up and stay on a second or so until oil pressure builds up.
Just got my bike today and didnt notice that, but wasnt looking either. I will check that out tomorrow. My last two bikes did that if I had Pure One filters, otherwise they never showed up if I ran K&N filters. Actually, now that I think about it, I got the oil light on my EX500 to pop with a K&N filter on. It was the time my drain plug decided it no longer liked being part of my bike.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm wondering whether the "takes over 5 seconds" is anecdotal or it actually takes that long. Do the 'one Mississippi, two..." thing while starting and see what you come up with.
My intermittent long crank hot is about 2.5 to 3 seconds. But you don't know when it is going to happen so you just key the starter as usual in which case it fails to start and loads up. Then the second try has a couple seconds so the whole thing seems like it is a lot longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im not very educated when it comes to motorcycle engines, as most of my experience is in car engines. My bike has 140 miles on it, so it is still very new. From the sound that it makes when I try to start it hot, I would say that it is fuel related. The dealer said they checked the fuel pressure when hot and it tested in spec. I get the theory behind a higher CCA battery, because it would turn over the engine faster, but if my gut is right, it wont help the fuel issue. That's why I asked the question as to if anyone has tried a new battery yet. I'm not so much worried about starting it after I have stopped for a break, it's when I have killed it at a stop sign or intersection when I need to get it started again FAST!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I personally don't plan on doing anything more than just mentioning it in passing to my shop foreman. I certainly wouldn't want to leave my bike at the shop for any length of time over a little, near normal issue like this.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can someone else try starting right after turning the key on? I was trying different stuff today and starting it before the tach finished sweeping seemed to work. If you stall it at a light you may just have to deal though.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I'm wondering if this is related to the Cali-can causing a rich condition. Could be the Charcoal canister gets fuel-saturated during hot conditions, then recycles that gas-heavy air back through the air box during start-up, so until the motor spins a while and pumps that over-rich air through the system, bike doesn't want to start right away- just a thought.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It very well could be, from what I can tell it seems to be a very rich on start condition. With all the heat heating the fuel and pushing vapors into the throttle body, that would be a logical reason.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also, for those who are having issues with starting when it's hot... i'm assuming this is only after a few mins of sitting after being shut off. What about immediate crank right after closing, say like a stall? Does it fire right up?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Has anyone tried giving it gas while cranking or do you just hit the starter and hope for the best?

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I usually let the fuel pump prime and finish before I start the bike.

Edit: I used like instead of "let"

·
Registered
424 Posts
I often have problems getting mine started as well, sometimes takes 30seconds of treating to start it. Seems to be a hot start issue, even if the bike has been sitting for 15-20 mins. It really sounds like it's tuning over really weak and slowly.
I haven't had a chance to investigate yet, I'll check out the air box/ filter and spark plugs and possibly replace the battery with a larger LiPO4 battery next race weekend
(Original battery is showing full charge on the battery tender, but I didn't have access to a voltmeter to be 100% certain)

41 - 60 of 81 Posts