Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum so if I was supposed to post this elsewhere I apologize

So I bought my first bike (2017 yamaha r3 abs) and I've noticed some weird things. The first one being whenever I accelerate a bit hard, like up a hill and let the revs go up to around 9 or 10k before I shift to avoid lugging the engine, it doesn't wanna go into third. This only happens when shifting from second to third, all the other shifts are fine. I let off the gas, clutch in, shift up, and then I get a nice jolt and realize I'm still in second. Then I have to repeat the process very slowly and by the time its done the rpms are at idle and I've lost like 10-20km/h of speed. Now I am a new rider, it is possible although (highly unlikely) that I messed up the transmission early on learning (the bike has 700km on, it all of them being me learning). Not sure what I should do, or if I'm just bad at shifting. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Also the oil light is on and it has been on since I got the bike, should I actually rely on that or just look at the oil window and go by mileage? Oil looks good in the oil window.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also do alot of practicing U turns in parking lots, and I find myself to be slipping the clutch alot doing these maneuvers, whats the deal with motorcycle clutches? alot of people have told me you can slip them forever and they'll be fine, but I feel like that's a lie.

·
Registered
460 Posts
See my new thread called.. Shifter adjustment.. Tell your friends.. Just bring your shifter down Moto doods..

·
Registered
91 Posts
The oil light on indicates low or no oil pressure. It should go off shortly after starting the engine. If the oil level in the window drops after starting the bike you at least have some oil pressure and hopefully it's a sensor issue. In any case you need to stop riding it and have it checked to prevent further engine damage.

·
Registered
220 Posts
As Max pointed out, the clutch issue seems like it could be a clutch cable tension issue. You would have to have done something noticeably "drastic" to damage the gear box at only 700kms as the gearbox is pretty robust.

Take your bike in to get checked reg the oil light. As mentioned above, you can have the correct level of oil in the sight glass but that doesn't mean anything if it's not being distributed throughout the engine! It could also affect your gear changes, but to me it wouldn't make sense that it's only affecting 2nd to 3rd and not all gear changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts