Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had a friend of mine who works for yamaha tell me that the R3 has another recall coming soon. Has anyone else heard anything about it?

·
Registered
290 Posts
There is a topic about it on the recall bulletin section on these forums.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Come on Yamaha,...get things right! Didn't they have a recall last year involving a crank case issue,or what was it exactly? Maybe I need to reconsider my choice in motorcycles AGAIN,and go back to the Ninja 300! I don't know of ANY recalls on them. Honda had the crank shaft recall on the CBR300R last year,so Honda's off my list ,..again! Honda and Yamaha seem to be having QC issues!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Come on Yamaha,...get things right! Didn't they have a recall last year involving a crank case issue,or what was it exactly? Maybe I need to reconsider my choice in motorcycles AGAIN,and go back to the Ninja 300! I don't know of ANY recalls on them. Honda had the crank shaft recall on the CBR300R last year,so Honda's off my list ,..again! Honda and Yamaha seem to be having QC issues!
You can't look at it like a quality control issue, they're openly acknowledging that there's an issue and fixing it for free. Wouldn't you rather a company do that instead of ignore it and risk the lives of their customers? You shouldn't discount an entire company because they're admitting they made a mistake

·
Registered
346 Posts
A mistake? People don't make those, it just doesn't happen, everyone is infallible this day and age. It's unacceptable to have a first run product with any defect whatsoever for half the price of their real money making bikes. Can't believe they wouldn't over-engineer that bracket and switch to the point where it could be a lunar module.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sold mine and picked up another Ninja 300

·
Registered
732 Posts
You can't look at it like a quality control issue, they're openly acknowledging that there's an issue and fixing it for free. Wouldn't you rather a company do that instead of ignore it and risk the lives of their customers? You shouldn't discount an entire company because they're admitting they made a mistake
I agree. These are relatively minor issues and quick fixes albeit inconvenient; a little to some and more so to others. However, this is a comlletely new platform and they're ironing out their issues. It is not easy egineering a complex product that mixes quality with value-that is the hardest balance to strike and the 300 class is a such a product where you make choices to cut costs to keep price down while keeping it up to Yamaha quality. In my years, Honda and Yamaha have the best track record but that is my perception. This is part of the reason I chose the R3. Furthermore, I find it annoying but am glad Yamaha is proactive and couldn't be happier with my R3. Look at all the recall SNAFUs in the auto industry. Internal emails, cover ups, deaths, etc. Ford or Chevy had an ignition and/or brake issue and one of the big ones is the Takata "claymore" airbags which was ignored for years. So it might be a slight inconvenience bt theyre taking care of it and that is all that natters. Now if something drastic happens or there is a catastrophic failure which is ignored or something to that effect then we have problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I guess that I should at LEAST give Yamaha the credit for acknowledging that there is an issue and taking care of fixing it for free! I tend to be a bit hard on companies who I expect to have a good track record of dependability and then I hear of a recall two model years in a row over quality issues regardless of how minor an issue it is. So,..my apologies for being a bit rough on Yamaha! I'll still consider the R3,though!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well I guess that I should at LEAST give Yamaha the credit for acknowledging that there is an issue and taking care of fixing it for free! I tend to be a bit hard on companies who I expect to have a good track record of dependability and then I hear of a recall two model years in a row over quality issues regardless of how minor an issue it is. So,..my apologies for being a bit rough on Yamaha! I'll still consider the R3,though!
Hehe it's ok I can do this sometimes too keep in mind though the recalls happened after the 2016 models were released so in reality it was just one because they weren't aware of it yet. Other than the recalls the R3 is pretty trouble free, if you think the R3 is bad go look at the RC390 .... I almost got one of those kinda glad I didn't.

Also go take a look at reviews from different motorcycle organizations, the R3 is almost always one of the top of the small superbikes, not just overall but from a fit/finish and quality stand point. It's quality is definitely not sub-par compared to the competition (I never feel this way either, even after stripping the fairings off etc).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Almost every company has a had a recall at some point, if I avoided them all I would never be able to buy anything lol

·
Registered
321 Posts
The recalls don't bother me. Anyone saying, "C'mon Yamaha, do it right the first time" has never been part of a manufacturing process. The end item is only as good as its parts. There are thousands of parts in a motorcycle, any of which might need to be recalled.

My Majesty was recalled back in 2007 due to a fuel pump gasket issue. The guy took it off and told me it was in horrible shape, and the bike was like 6 months old. Can you blame Yamaha for a gasket that's crap? Of course not. The R3 is a machine, brand new. That's what we get for buying first-year vehicles. If you don't like recalls, buy a 2018 and it'll have the bugs worked out. I appreciate Yamaha for at least creating a machine to compete with the snot-green Ninja 300 who dominated and owned the class for so long. And before you run to the Ninja, you might want to do some research on it:

Ninja 300 massive recall:

https://thesportsarchivesblog.com/2...ves-2013-kawasaki-ninja-300-a-massive-recall/

There are recalls on the $80,000 new Corvette. It happens, it's a machine. Live with it and move on. If you don't like it, I haven't heard many recalls on bicycles lately. Many parts on our bikes are outsourced to other companies. You think Yamaha makes their own ignition switches? Their own bearings for the clutch assembly? Of course not. They put all these parts together to create something we can ride on. Just like with the airbag recall, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, nobody made those airbags, Takata did. That's out of the control of any auto manufacturer and thus they shouldn't be held liable unless they withheld recall information when they found out about it.

Think paying more will get you more? Lycoming aircraft engines builds the engine for the new Cessna 172. Back in 1997 when it came back, Lycoming almost went out of business due to metallurgy problems in the engines causing them to slowly disintegrate. Oil analyses were coming back with red flags left and right. The engines were about $30,000 each and the entire airplane was about $175,000 out the door. They all failed under warranty and Lycoming honored their warranty. It almost put them under, to have to replace every engine in every 172 in 1997.

Now this engine manufacturer has been around forever and one of the most reliable engines on the market. But it was a brand new engine, in a brand new plane, and it had serious issues. Now, they got their ducks in a row and they build fantastic engines for the 172 Skyhawk. There is no avoiding a recall, other than avoiding all purchases. Heck my weedeater was recalled for an overheating issue. It's an aircooled engine, how can it overheat? I've used mine for years and will continue to use it. My Fiesta has a recall on it, I'm not dealing with that right now. It's part of life.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey there! Just joined the forums but thought I'd stop here first. I am from Canada (London) and my 2015 r3 just went to the dealership for the new recall today. Good luck to you all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey there! Just joined the forums but thought I'd stop here first. I am from Canada (London) and my 2015 r3 just went to the dealership for the new recall today. Good luck to you all.
I heard it had hit Canada. Unfortunately I'm sure that means it's headed for the US. I'm finally taking delivery of mine next week (after the dealer held it for two months) and I feel like I'll be bringing it right back to the dealer for this. I wanted the recall to be announced while it was still there!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts