Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of dropping a tooth in the front if it will help give me a little more low to mid-range grunt. Anyone tried this and have feedback to offer?

If you make the change, how far is the speedo off and is there a speedo calibrator for the R3?

·
Registered
424 Posts
It'll definitely give you more acceleration, quiet noticeable. I have only tried it on the racetrack though so can't comment on speedo changes. Most prominent difference for me was the front lifting in 1st, 2nd and 3rd during race starts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im thinking about it too..but was thinking something more extreme 13 front / 44 rear. That way I can retain my stock chain :). I live at 8000 feet so this will really help my bikes performance!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Mabee 13 would be too tight a bend for the chain, might speed up chain wear, I'd just go up a couple on rear sprocket.

·
Super Moderator
1,329 Posts
The speedo is about 3% optimistic stock, so a 13 tooth CS would make it a whopping 11% optimistic. Maybe add a tooth at the rear sprocket instead.

Removing a tooth at the rear would make the speedo almost accurate, 100 indicated would be 99 gps.

I personally think Yamaha balanced 6th gear about right, wouldn't want to change sprockets. My beef is with 2nd being notably closer to 1st than 3rd.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thinking of dropping a tooth in the front if it will help give me a little more low to mid-range grunt. Anyone tried this and have feedback to offer?

If you make the change, how far is the speedo off and is there a speedo calibrator for the R3?
It also depends on your riding application. Are you looking for a bit more go out the gate for street riding, or a more even power-band for the race track? Most racers will have a handful of front and rear sprockets depending on which track they race at etc. For the street rider a modest 1 tooth down in the front and 1 tooth up in the rear is a very good setup.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It also depends on your riding application. Are you looking for a bit more go out the gate for street riding, or a more even power-band for the race track? Most racers will have a handful of front and rear sprockets depending on which track they race at etc. For the street rider a modest 1 tooth down in the front and 1 tooth up in the rear is a very good setup.
Actually I ended up with a much more drastic change than -1 +1: did 16 front/43 rear and added 368cc! (Bought an FZ07)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts