Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start off by saying sorry for the long post, there is a TL;DR at the bottom!

So i am moving in 2 days down to orange county, CA, from Sacramento, CA.

I still have not hit my first 600 miles, i am at around 350 right now but i don't have any way of getting my bike down which is my only vehicle right now.

The plan so far is that my mom is going to be taking all of my stuff in her car and i will be following her in the bike and we are going to "take it slow" because i cant really push the bike past 63-67 ish with the 7k barrier.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me on things i should do to prepare the bike for the trip (Haven't done any maintenance since buying the bike). This is also my first bike so i dont really know what kind of things i should be looking out for, or taking care of in terms of general bike maintenance. the main reason im so worried about it is because i will actually surpass the "break - in" halfway through the ride which means i would probably be around 900 miles before i got the break in service.

or any suggestions on ways i can get my bike down without riding it?

i have already looked into renting a trailer and i dont have a vehicle available to me with a towing package so there is nothing to attach it on, and its too late to be able to order one for the car and get it installed. also renting a uhaul truck/trailer combo is a little expensive ($300+) especially considering i dont even need the truck side seeing as im moving just clothes and a computer. No furniture.

Sorry for the insanely long post, im just a little worried and was hoping i could get some help!

TL;DR: Need to ride 500 miles pre-break in, can it be done? + what do i do to prepare.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The break-in question has been beaten to death over and over. Hard vs. easy break-in.
You don't have to baby the bike and go under 7K rpms for break-in. I had the 2014 Ninja 300 before I got the R3 and rode it like I stole it straight off the lot. Same with the R3. I'm at 750mi on the R3 and she runs like a beast. I lagged it on doing her 600mi service until 700mi. I think they can go to up to 800mi before changing the oil. Newer bikes are hard to mess up. Anyways, I commute on my bike every day to work on the freeway going 80mph or more to keep up with traffic flow. (I live in Orange County btw, near Disneyland). Just my two cents. Take it or leave it. Safe travels and we should meet up for a ride once you're in the OC

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm <---- good read

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I lagged it on doing her 600mi service until 700mi. I think they can go to up to 800mi before changing the oil.

Forsure man :) ill be down and settled by next week.

But this still worries me considering i will hit the 900 mile mark before i get there to change my oil. Do you think i should just take it in and get an oil/filter change done before my 500 mile ride?

Once again, currently at 350 miles.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The break-in question has been beaten to death over and over. Hard vs. easy break-in.
You don't have to baby the bike and go under 7K rpms for break-in. I had the 2014 Ninja 300 before I got the R3 and rode it like I stole it straight off the lot. Same with the R3. I'm at 750mi on the R3 and she runs like a beast. I lagged it on doing her 600mi service until 700mi. I think they can go to up to 800mi before changing the oil. Newer bikes are hard to mess up. Anyways, I commute on my bike every day to work on the freeway going 80mph or more to keep up with traffic flow. (I live in Orange County btw, near Disneyland). Just my two cents. Take it or leave it. Safe travels and we should meet up for a ride once you're in the OC

I just serviced mine for the first time at 1040 miles, dealer said everything was fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm from what im seeing it seems like i can just ride the bike down to OC from here and just make sure i get the service done before i ride it anymore once im down there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You could change it now and again after the trip. Or just take a long nice ride for 100mi or so and turn around and come back, then change the oil.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So you're moving on Saturday? That's pretty short notice to look for a ride, but can you do without your bike for 3 weeks? Trackdaz is hosting a track day at Buttonwillow Aug 1 & 2nd, I'm sure someone going from NorCal can take your bike if you post a "ride wanted" thread here: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Then maybe see if someone coming from OC can take it back home with them the rest of the way, or you can ride it from Buttonwillow which is less than 200 miles.

If you can't get a ride, I'd change the oil now as an early break-in service, then don't worry about changing it again until 3500 miles or whatever the manual says the interval is. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Don't over-inflate them just because you're going on the freeway for a long distance; that'll actually flat-spot your tires faster. Also, bring a small can of chain lube and spray your chain every other gas stop.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Change your oil (and oil filter) and check your chain tension now, before you leave. Two maintenance items that CAN NOT be overdone. Lube your chain, whether or not it needs adjustment. Like the previous post says, regulate your tire pressures. That info is on the left side of your swingarm. I believe it's 29 psi front and 36 psi rear. All motorcyclists should own a good tire gauge. It's ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to over do any of these 4 maintenance items. G'luck, and safe journeys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts