Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am currently in the process of converting my 2017 R3 to the 2019 spec. The headlight pinout is giving me a tough time so I would appreciate it if someone could provide the pinout as well as the voltages on each pin!

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's just the thing, i do have a multimeter but my harness is from the 2017 model. I'm not sure what voltage the new headlights use. Would be great if someone has a 2019 model and can help me check the pinout.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I've got so far. With reference to the attached image, pins 1 and 2 seem to be some sort of ground while pin 5 is the positive lead for the pilot light. This seems to work off of 12V although the brightness seems lacking. I can't seem to get the main beam and high beam to work though. I am currently waiting for my shipment of connectors to arrive and do further testing. Hope someone out there can validate my findings and help me figure out pins 3 and 4

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I've got so far. With reference to the attached image, pins 1 and 2 seem to be some sort of ground while pin 5 is the positive lead for the pilot light. This seems to work off of 12V although the brightness seems lacking. I can't seem to get the main beam and high beam to work though. I am currently waiting for my shipment of connectors to arrive and do further testing. Hope someone out there can validate my findings and help me figure out pins 3 and 4
Forgot to attach the image

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
That's just the thing, i do have a multimeter but my harness is from the 2017 model. I'm not sure what voltage the new headlights use. Would be great if someone has a 2019 model and can help me check the pinout.
Forgive me for making the obvious statement. I'm sure you already know. The R3's headlights are tied into the bike's requirement to be started and running before the headlights work properly. I suspect some of those pin connectors have voltage to them with ONLY the ignition switch ON. But the headlights DO NOT have full voltage UNTIL the bike is running. :nerd:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgive me for making the obvious statement. I'm sure you already know. The R3's headlights are tied into the bike's requirement to be started and running before the headlights work properly. I suspect some of those pin connectors have voltage to them with ONLY the ignition switch ON. But the headlights DO NOT have full voltage UNTIL the bike is running. /forum/images/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png
I've already tested that theory. The way it works is that typically the main beam lead does not have any voltage until engine starts. Once the engine is powered on, the lead will be sending 12V to the bulb. For testing putposes, i tried running a direct 12V to the unknown pins and wiring up the grounds. No luck.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
I've already tested that theory. The way it works is that typically the main beam lead does not have any voltage until engine starts. Once the engine is powered on, the lead will be sending 12V to the bulb. For testing putposes, i tried running a direct 12V to the unknown pins and wiring up the grounds. No luck.
One more thought. Remember this lighting system could just as easily open and close the "ground" side of the circuit, while leaving the "positive" side connected/stationary. All you're doing is interrupting the circuit to "on" or "off", and you can do that with either the positive or ground side of the system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more thought. Remember this lighting system could just as easily open and close the "ground" side of the circuit, while leaving the "positive" side connected/stationary. All you're doing is interrupting the circuit to "on" or "off", and you can do that with either the positive or ground side of the system.
Gonna give this a go again once the connectors I ordered come in. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any luck with that manual? My connectors just arrived, I'll probably be messing around with the headlight in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
I will be downloading the service manual for the new design between the 27th and 30th have thanksgiving break. remind me on the 30th and I will try and make the electrical diagram and post it here.
Sometimes you got to Knock Harder! Proneto.. How's your download coming for that electrical diagram? :nerd:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got it!! Managed to get the pinout with reference from a friend's bike. Would still appreciate getting the wiring diagram as I still want hazards on mine?

From left to right top row, pilot positive, pilot ground, low beam positive
Bottom row, main ground, high beam positive

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually at page 219 right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your efforts are greatly appreciated. I don't trust mechanics in my area with fixing my bikes and I have most of the tools and knowledge to do the repairs myself. The manual would help with the specs of the bike and performing said repair/maintenance work.

·
Super Moderator
1,294 Posts
I got it!! Managed to get the pinout with reference from a friend's bike. Would still appreciate getting the wiring diagram as I still want hazards on mine?

From left to right top row, pilot positive, pilot ground, low beam positive
Bottom row, main ground, high beam positive

Be sure to post the final results - should be interesting to see!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts