Yamaha R3 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does anyone have any more insight here? I really wish Muhammad were still around to share more about his harness. Dude created this thread and a reddit thread, then promptly never logged into either again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Sorry bout that mate. Been busy with other projects. Currently trying to test some fuel pump mods to get more fuel going. I know Jesse has a modded fuel pump to do just this but I think an aftermarket YZF450 pressure regulator rated for higher pressure might do a more consistent job. Back on topic. So I managed to get the correct pinout.

I know the colours are faded, but

1) yellow is high beam signal,
2) brown is stator positive (+12V when engine on, spliced from headlight relay)
3) blue is battery positive (+12V when ignition switch on, spliced from pilot light)
4) black is ground (any ground will do)
5) green is ECU (spliced from headlight relay)

For ground, I connected from right/left headlight ground respectively. I'm still not sure what Is the required resistance to get high beam running, so that's still a work in progress. I'm guessing an LED load resistor of some effect

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for the update! Now I'm curious about your fuel pressure regulator. What's the stock one rated at vs. the one for YZF450?
Stock is rated at 3 bar, same as the R3 one, but there are aftermarket options that go up to 3.5 bar. I have tested 2 of them and they seem to be consistent. its pretty much plug and play and even comes with a filter for the regulator outlet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Does anyone have any more insight here? I really wish Muhammad were still around to share more about his harness. Dude created this thread and a reddit thread, then promptly never logged into either again.
By the way, I do log in once in a while, but mostly lurk around....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Turns out the high beams take a direct signal from the ECU and is triggered by seeing the difference from ECU reference signal and signal sent by hand switch. To work this out, headlight relay needs to be removed (this function is already handled by new headlight circuit board) and jump the ECU signal wire (yellow, black stripe) to the relay headlight output (blue, black stripe). I also tap the red, yellow stripe leads for +12V engine on from here. This results in an unmolested wire harness which you can switch back to the original config if the need arises (i.e. due to legality issues where I'm from. They are very particular about the bike looking exactly as purchased during inspection). Once this step is done, what was originally your low beam positive is now a direct ECU signal while the original high beam positive becomes the handswitch high beam signal. the rest is just simply wiring up a harness. Do note, doing this mod on a 2018 and older R3 will make your high beam indicator turn on permanently even with key removed, and the indicator will be reverse to actual high beam status. This is due to the 2019+ R3 dash having a completely different system and is something I am still working on.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts