Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all from Canada, Niagara Falls :) Just got this beauty couple a weeks ago and just joined the forum!

11096718_10155542871740066_3601095229707266965_n.jpg

Also have a couple of questions, at what rpm does everyone shift when just cruising normally around town and does anyone else get a kind of a whine noise while in 4th gear?

·
Registered
222 Posts
YES, I get some kind of resonance in 4th gear too and have mentioned it somewhere on this forum (Found it...see Resonance in the General Discussion topic). I get a lesser resonance in 3rd too...at about 35 mph or so. When hard on the throttle, I don't notice it. Nobody else has mentioned it, but since you have it and I have it, there are probably lots of people with it. There's a diagram in your owner's manual that tells you roughly when to shift....1st to 2nd -12 mph, 2nd to 3rd-19 mph, 3rd to 4th-25 mph, 4th to 5th-31 mph, 5th to 6th-37 mph. I can tell you I don't ride in 6th or even 5th gear at 37 mph myself. That's generally 4th gear for me. I don't shift into 6th below 50 mph generally. You have a lot of leeway, but you don't want to lug the engine by riding too slow in any gear. You wouldn't want to be riding with the rpms below 3000 rpms. I shift somewhere around 4-5000 rpms unless I am trying to accelerate fast, then I shift at 9-10,000 rpms or even higher, but my bike is broken in. If you break the bike in according to the manual, you shouldn't ride too long above 7000 rpms.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
YES, I get some kind of resonance in 4th gear too and have mentioned it somewhere on this forum (Found it...see Resonance in the General Discussion topic). I get a lesser resonance in 3rd too...at about 35 mph or so. When hard on the throttle, I don't notice it. Nobody else has mentioned it, but since you have it and I have it, there are probably lots of people with it. There's a diagram in your owner's manual that tells you roughly when to shift....1st to 2nd -12 mph, 2nd to 3rd-19 mph, 3rd to 4th-25 mph, 4th to 5th-31 mph, 5th to 6th-37 mph. I can tell you I don't ride in 6th or even 5th gear at 37 mph myself. That's generally 4th gear for me. I don't shift into 6th below 50 mph generally. You have a lot of leeway, but you don't want to lug the engine by riding too slow in any gear. You wouldn't want to be riding with the rpms below 3000 rpms. I shift somewhere around 4-5000 rpms unless I am trying to accelerate fast, then I shift at 9-10,000 rpms or even higher, but my bike is broken in. If you break the bike in according to the manual, you shouldn't ride too long above 7000 rpms.
Thank you for the response, i also get a little resonance in 3rd too but when turn the throttle it goes away. Yeah the manual says shift 2nd @ 20km [email protected] etc but i think that's a little too low some times and might be lugging it, i also try to shift around 5k normally so was just wondering what everyone else did.

I also think more people have this resonance just maybe don't notice it but ive heard it will lessen with time and is due to straight cut gears. Anyway great bike, i really love it so far still getting used to shifting smoothly as i havent ridden a motorcycle in 15 years but starting to get it close lol. I only have 200km on it so far so quite a bit more till its broken in and yes i avoid going over 7k for long as per manual :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi to all from Canada, Niagara Falls :) Just got this beauty couple a weeks ago and just joined the forum!

View attachment 3017

Also have a couple of questions, at what rpm does everyone shift when just cruising normally around town and does anyone else get a kind of a whine noise while in 4th gear?
congrats on the pick up! i love the color scheme of our ravens. i usually shift between 5k-8k. depending on traffic conditions. as for the whine noise i havent noticed because i ride with headphones in. ill have to pay close attention on my way to work tomorrow morning. and ill report back here for results

·
Registered
82 Posts
Recommended shift points for the 2015 R3 from page 6-3 of the owner's manual: (1st to 2nd -12 mph, 2nd to 3rd-19 mph, 3rd to 4th-25 mph, 4th to 5th-31 mph, 5th to 6th-37 mph).

Recommended shift points for the 2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe from page 6-3 of the owner's manual: (1st to 2nd -12 mph, 2nd to 3rd-19 mph, 3rd to 4th-25 mph, 4th to 5th-31 mph).
In 5th gear on my 1300 at 31 mph, I'm lugging the **** out of the engine!

Recommended shift points for the 2014 R6 from page 6-3 of the owner's manual: (1st to 2nd -12 mph, 2nd to 3rd-19 mph, 3rd to 4th-25 mph, 4th to 5th-31 mph, 5th to 6th-37 mph).

Three TOTALLY different styles of motorcycles (sport, cruiser, super sport) with three totally different types of engines with the EXACT same mph shift points.
Did Yamaha engineers write this or did Yamaha's lawyers?

I have been given this same advice about every new motorcycle I've ever bought before I rode it off the dealer's parking lot: "Don't lug it....don't overheat it."

Motorcyclist Magazine: "Go to the page in the owner’s manual that lists recommended shift points in terms of vehicle speed. Now tear out that page and throw it away. Many manuals recommend ridiculously low shift points. If you constantly shift into second gear at 15 mph, for example, start saving up for a bottom-end overhaul; low rpm plus the resulting low oil pressure equals high bearing load. Use the tachometer for shift points, not the speedometer, and don’t shy away from the upper two-thirds of the rpm range. It’s okay to run your new engine hard as long as you don’t overheat it. Let it cool down between bursts of throttle. Cycling cylinder heat and combustion-chamber pressure seats the rings and keeps your engine from burning oil later in life.

Congrats on the new bike!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you for your input guys! :)
so i definitely forgot to report back on friday lol. but i still didnt notice any whine noise while in 4th gear. when i ride with my visor open on my helmet i do hear a whine noise but that is just the wind going through my helmet

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i definitely forgot to report back on friday lol. but i still didnt notice any whine noise while in 4th gear. when i ride with my visor open on my helmet i do hear a whine noise but that is just the wind going through my helmet
Hmm i guess not all do it after all. Ill keep riding and see if it lessens with time and will mention it to the dealer on my 1k visit. Thanks man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts