Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I dont have too much space in my bank account to buy all those expensive gears at one time. Is it OK if i just grab helmet and glove at the beginning ?

People keep asking me to get $600 helmet. Its fucking expensive for a new rider like me. Haha. I do like Rossi so Im thinking of buying AVG K3 for just like $200. Is it ok ?

Any suggestion on the glove ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's a can of worms...

Personally, if I!m going for a ride I'm always in full leathers and armour.

Helmet and gloves only protect your hands and heads, depends if you care about e rest of your body if its enough...

Being a biker is expensive, but don't put a price on your life, buy the gear, look after it and it will look after you for a long time

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
Full face helmet, gloves, bike jacket, and at least jeans + some sort of shoe with higher ankle protection. Upgrade gear when you can. It's not perfect, but I see so many bikers with just t-shirts and brain buckets ...

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
It's absolutely fine... until you go down.
I bought all of my gear before i even bought my bike. My thought process was, if I can't afford the gear, I can't afford to ride yet.

I'm ATGATT but I see more people in t-shirts and shorts than I do full gear.
Some people just need to lose half their flesh and learn the hard way.

Ride safe... especially in just a helmet and gloves.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hi guys,

I dont have too much space in my bank account to buy all those expensive gears at one time. Is it OK if i just grab helmet and glove at the beginning ?

People keep asking me to get $600 helmet. Its fucking expensive for a new rider like me. Haha. I do like Rossi so Im thinking of buying AVG K3 for just like $200. Is it ok ?

You can do it, yes. Better than nothing at all. Just keep watching craigslist, eBay, or your local motorcycle forum for used gear. I didn't have any new gear, except my helmet, for a long time. I exclusively bought used stuff because it was so much cheaper.

Don't push yourself on the bike though. Take your time and play it safe until you have all the gear.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I completely agree with with all these responses. I've only been riding for a year now but live by ATGATT! You can get a very good quality, armored leather used jacket, at a great price on EBay. Helmet, Jacket, pants ( Kevlar lined are a plus), boots, and gloves will help limit injuries and increase your chances of living if you go down. This out ways any cost. Save on bike upgrades and by your GEAR. Be safe and have fun!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi guys,

HJC makes fantastic and affordable helmets. The CL-17 is perfect for a new rider and 100 dollars cheaper. But if the Rossi helmet makes you feel faster go ahead and buy it ;)

BUT a helmet and gloves are not enough. If you plan and actually riding and not just scooting to "bike night," you'll need a jacket and boots. Not only will a jacket protects your skin and joints in the event of a crash, it will help protect from road debris and weather.

Check Ebay if you're really that broke. You can afford an R3 but can't afford the jacket and boots? You can get both for the price of an R3 monthly payment if you're savvy enough. Dude I understand how money can be tight but cmon.

Otherwise ask yourself if your okay with skin-grafts and prosthetics.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi guys,

It really does come down to your personal risk acceptance level. When I commute in warm weather I am helmet, gloves, and boots. I know it won't be pretty if I ever go down, so I spend my whole ride trying not to go down.

That said, there is some excellent gear out there at reasonable prices if you look. I've been very happy with the 4-star+ stuff on Amazon in jackets & pants, all under $100 apiece. I wear a Bell Qualifier helmet that goes for $100 list and $60 on sale -- doubt a $400 helmet protects significantly better.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I was once told "dress for the slide, not the ride" and that made sense to me.
The best gear in the world is what you are wearing, not what is hanging in your closet. Wear your gear.

As far as having only gloves and a helmet, I personally wouldnt ride like that. I bought my jacket and gloves long before my bike. my plan was to wear my military work boots as foot protection.I bought my bike a few months later and it sat in the garage for a day or two until I bought my helmet. If you live in the states, craigslist, ebay and cycle gear are all good choices. Cycle gear sells cheap gear and though some of the brand whores out there will make fun of their gear, I will say from personal crash experience that their stuff has out lasted some of my more expensive gear that I crashed in on the track. My Astars leather jacket and pants got rashed up pretty bad on the track. I have crashed on the street in some CG "Bilt" leather pants and it got a hole about the size of a quarter. I crashed in my Bilt leather jacket and it did its job saving my skin and was in better condition than the Astars mentioned above. All these crashes were at similar speeds. Keep in mind every crash will be different. There are some slow low side crashes out there that do more damage either to you, your bike or both than some high sides.

For every day street riding, I ride in a minimum of helmet, riding jacket, gloves, and riding boots. My riding boots are velcro and are easier to put on than my normal shoes or work boots.
I would be a liar if I said I have never ridden in regular jeans. Sometimes I may need to run to the store about 3 minutes away and dont want to change into my riding pants. My everyday riding pants are Kevlar reinforced denim jeans with CE padding in the knees.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Compare the cost of gear now and medical expenses, missed work, and pain later. You never know what will happen when you're on the streets - wrong time wrong place and you will be in for a real bad day without the right gear.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
My everyday riding pants are Kevlar reinforced denim jeans with CE padding in the knees.
My first pair of Kevlar riding jeans was the Scorpion Covert Pro jeans. Great price and pretty good protection but the knee pad placement sucked balls.

I just recently picked up a pair of Knox Richmond jeans. They're freaking awesome. Came with CE armor for the knees and hips and everything fits perfectly. Awesome jeans with outstanding protection and they just feel like ordinary jeans.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
My first pair of Kevlar riding jeans was the Scorpion Covert Pro jeans. Great price and pretty good protection but the knee pad placement sucked balls.

I just recently picked up a pair of Knox Richmond jeans. They're freaking awesome. Came with CE armor for the knees and hips and everything fits perfectly. Awesome jeans with outstanding protection and they just feel like ordinary jeans.
I tested out the kevlar reinforced jeans and since then I am all for knee protection. In all the crashes I have been in, hands/forearm and knee all hit the ground with some type of impact.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
As everyone has pointed out - you should be in full gear all the time. When I see other riders (including guys on cruisers), out on their bikes in flip flops and shorts they clearly have not thought about the consequences of 'what if' something happens. Sure, it would be cool to do that but let's face it - the chances are that its someone else that does something like cut you off which causes you to take action and go down. If that happens, gloves and a helmet will not be enough.

Check Craigslist / Kijiji / ebay or even online facebook posts. There are always guys looking to unload stuff at a fraction of the original cost. I have an HJC helmet and while it IS basic, it's perfectly good. The rest of my gear I just kept waiting for a sale and then pulled the trigger. The fall / winter is a great time to buy since very few people are riding, lol. Look for closeout specials too.

Save up for the stuff, no matter what THEN go ride.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
When I see other riders (including guys on cruisers), out on their bikes in flip flops and shorts they clearly have not thought about the consequences of 'what if' something happens. Sure, it would be cool to do that but let's face it - the chances are that its someone else that does something like cut you off which causes you to take action and go down. If that happens, gloves and a helmet will not be enough.
I was scrolling through my Facebook feed the other day and came across an ad for some new type of brain bucket helmet. The hook was some new style of quick attach strap. Under the ad were hundreds of comments. I clicked in to read some.

Some poor [email protected] made the unfortunate decision to mention that in most crashes, the chin makes contact with the ground and therefore, a full face helmet would be a much better choice. Out came the flamers...

One meathead even said, "I've ridden my whole life and been in a number of accidents. As a skilled rider, I know how to take a hit, how to fly through the air and how to land without taking injury" - what a moron. LOL

·
Registered
330 Posts
As someone who is very ATGATT, it doesn't matter what I wear, it matters what you are comfortable with. If all you can afford is a helmet and gloves, then do that and get more as you can go. Of course if I could justify wearing my full leathers every ride I probably would, but I can't. I daily a bike and I wear a jacket, gloves, helmet, jeans, and riding shoes. I own full leathers and track gear but it just isn't justifiable on my daily commute; I would literally die of a heat stroke in my local weather.

So all the people that tell you not to ride otherwise, ignore them. If you are okay with knowing you are not fully protected, then that is a decision only YOU can make. But I encourage you to do plenty of Youtube searching to see the not-so-pleasant aftermath of wrecks without gear.

If you need cheap/free gear, reach out to local bike groups. You can likely find people with old gear that they will sell super cheap or give away until you can justify getting something exactly like you want. This way, have something that is better than nothing in the meantime and you can buy what you really want in the future and not settle for something cheap out of necessity.

In the end, it is all on you. Nobody else can make the gear decision for you but you. Get informed, sure, but don't let the judgement all gear guys drive you away from the passion because they can't accept some people live a different life they do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been riding for three days now.. I purchased helment, gloves and a Joe Rocket jacket. I don't regret it at all, this morning driving to work I can feel the bugs just smashing into me..lol I'm sure my dress shirt wouldn't have liked it by the time I got to work.. I don't take long rides yet, I work about 9 miles from my house so It's an easy drive. I don't think I'd take a long ride w/o my jacket even in the hot/humid weather here in GA.

·
Registered
424 Posts
80% of the time I only wear helmet and gloves. Just be prepared for the pain and suffering that you will experience if you come off (other people can cause the accident but you'll still be the one suffering)

·
Registered
164 Posts
+1 on the Bilt leather pants. I haven't crash tested them (knock knock), but they are ... bilt. A great, well-designed heavy pair of leather pants w/built-in knee protection for $150 shipped via Amazon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was never pro-squidding so I'm gona have to say no its not enough. If/when you go down and you are simply wearing a helmet and gloves, the road rash you will receive on your body and legs + possible dislocated ankle/foot will not be pretty. Personally when I ride I am always wearing a helmet, gloves, full leathers and a back protector. You really cant put a price on your body. If you dont have the funds, keep the bike stored until you do have money for a jacket and pants + boots. You dont necessarily have to buy an expensive helmet as long as it is dot approved. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts