Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use one when on your R3? I'm having a difficult time finding one that 'looks right' on me and is within me and my bike's black/white theme. I currently have a White/Black Bell Vortex full face.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It's a helmet, it's for protection, not looks. Don't worry about if it matches your bike or not. And full face helmets are by far the best option.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Do you use one when on your R3? I'm having a difficult time finding one that 'looks right' on me and is within me and my bike's black/white theme. I currently have a White/Black Bell Vortex full face.
What sbk1198 has said is true, it doesn't matter if the helmet matches your bike.

Having said that, I have this AGV Numo Evo which is a flip up helmet (black/white/red) which I used for my bike training and test, as the training center helmets stank and full of bodily grease and sweat, this is when I learned to ride on a YBR 125cc Yamaha. It's an awesome helmet for hot humid climates. The reason I got this helmet was due to the 35+ degree Celsius climate which I was training in, it is now a spare helmet which I still use occasionally or if I want to carry a pillion now that I have my full license ;)

The helmet I currently use on my R3 is an Arai full face Quantum, which fits like a helmet should, nice and snug, it has multi-colours and does not match my bike.

·
Registered
329 Posts
As everyone stated, the helmet is for protection 1st if you can find one that looks and fits great then that's always a plus. I believe full face helmets are recommended for maximum protection.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I've crashed a few times. Every time, the chin of my helmet has hit the ground. Guess what that would mean if it weren't a full face?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would NEVER wear anything but a full face helmet, kojiro is right, your face is one of the first things to hit the street, save your face man! and if you don't like the helmet colors..paint it how you want it

·
Registered
50 Posts
I saw a lot of great looking modular Helmets... and every time i saw the "voice of reason" in my head replies "it is your head man... at least i am protected by your skull"....

so.. i just tried to get a helmet with good ventilation and ECE...

·
Registered
501 Posts
i've yet to try one of these but they look great. saw one last weekend that was all carbon fiber...and $600!!! but that maerial look SO amazing!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Chiming in with everyone else. Full face all the way. Choosing a helmet should include quality, fit, followed by a distant third....look.

I managed to get all three in my 2017 AGV Hero matte black and red. The fact that it matches my 2017 matte black R3 was the icing on the cake.

There's lots of quality helmets, fit is the most important as head shapes differ. AGV works for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just to be the odd man out, I'm a 69 year old Vietnam vet with MS, I mostly wear an open face on the street for the increased visibility, it works better with my disability. I raced at Bonneville for 11 years and have full competition gear but the full face usually stays home, I like having my puss out in the breeze.

·
Registered
177 Posts
After tumbling down the highway after hitting a deer, I'd hate to see what my face would look like if I had been wearing open face.
My full helmet and shield had some serious scars on the front.

·
Super Moderator
1,331 Posts
I personally don't understand the point of an open face helmet. Sure your melon is covered, but your face isn't. On a sport bike like ours - there is nothing protecting your face - what if a small object flies up from some car in front of you? Or worse, you fly off and hit the pavement / car / object face first? No thanks - I'd rather have the full protection of a helmet. But, hey to each his own!

·
Registered
16 Posts
First buy the helmet for the fit and comfort (or features) and then vinyl-wrap it yourself to your own liking.

Be sure it's at least DOT-approved; better for Snell or ECE-approved. Why better than DOT? I think it's because Snell and ECE have stricter standards. These helmets may be more expensive than Snell or ECE, so don't cheap out on your vinyl wrap, either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts