Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello R3 brothers & sisters,

Need some help, I am an IT guy but not so much with electrical. Given that I have a Raven R3, if I can increase lighting and visibility, I think it will benefit me as far as my viewing capabilities, and as far as being seen. Anywho...

Anyway, I am ordering H7 LED bulbs for my headlights from HardR, but wanted to upgrade my turn signals before I put on my Vagabond fender kit. I may keep stock, but if I get some input on these LED turn signals, I may hold off on the installing the fender kit with the stock turn signals, and order some LED ones with the correct accessories but need your help.

So, I am interested in LED Turn Signals, and like something like these Koso's.

It says they have an "M8 thread" Will this work with the R3?

Most aftermarkets do not come with Yamaha connector plugs. These should work from TST, correctomundo?

YAMAHA SIGNAL PLUG CONVERTERS 3-TO-3

https://tstindustries.com/Yamaha-Signal-Plug-Converters-3-to-3.html

Also, what about resistors or relays? The blink rate won't be correct without them. TST has the relays. Should I do resistors or relays. Resistors help the bike distinguish from an incandescent hyper blink rate from an LED which draws less power like a burning out incandescent bulb, vs a relay drawing correct amount for LED, I believe or something like that. Again, I am no electrical expert.
https://tstindustries.com/LED-Flasher-Relay-Gen2.html

R&G has some nice LED turn signals too, and has resistors available to them. There are two options:

Select the 9.8 Ohm resistor when going from a 21 watt turn signal to an LED turn signal.
Select the 21.5 Ohm resistor when going from a 10 watt incandescent turn signal to an LED turn signal.

Is the R3 21 or 10 watt? Not sure if I need the 21.5 Ohm resistors or 9.8 Ohm resistors.

Thanks a bunch everyone. If you have a better idea for turn signals that have the same general clean and slick look, by all means, I am open to suggestion. I am not necessarily leaning toward flush mount blinkers as I want a little more viz for idiot NY drivers.

It would be a lot harder without everyone's valuable help and knowledge on here. Really appreciate it!

·
Registered
326 Posts
M8 thread will work with the Vegabond FE. Can't comment on those brand led turn signals. I've found most aftermarket led turn signals to be not bright enough. Which Is why I use Rizoma's. Those are the wiring converters that you need. Get the relay and ditch the resistors. Much cleaner install that way.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. Got this from TST's support section, which I take no credit for. It will be helpful to other. Quoted from TST Industries:

What is the difference between resistors and a relay?

"You will likely need to slow down your flash rate once you install aftermarket LED lights. We include load balancing resistors at no additional charge with all of our tail lights and rear signal kits. The resistors can be wired in to slow down the flash rate. If you want a plug and play option so you don't have to do any wiring, then you will want to purchase the relay. We highly recommend purchasing the relay, especially if you do not feel comfortable doing wiring on your bike. Please see the video below for more in depth information on this topic."

TST Industries- support articles->What is the difference between resistors and a relay?

For future reference though, I wonder if the R3 is 21 watt or 10 watt. Can't seem to find that info.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you are concerned about visibility, then you shouldn't switch to LEDs and remain stock.

During the daytime, in sunny conditions, even expensive LEDs are less visible than the stock blinkers. Doesn't help that they tend to be a lot smaller and closer together (in the rear) making it harder to discern which side is blinking. I know this from experience.

If you care more about aesthetics, then by all means go LED. If safety and visibility is your priority, stock or nothing. It was designed to be the most visible. Stock reflector/incandescent assembly will cut through sunlight better. LEDs will definitely be brighter at night, but that is neither here nor there because any light will be visible at night. In your garage the LED blinker will be blinding, but go out into the sun and it will shock you how hard it is to see the LED blinker.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the koso and they are very bright. The only thing I would say about them though is the beam on the led is very directional so depending on what angle the signal is when you're driving it goes bright and dark.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts