Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals I'd first like to say thank you for taking the time to view my thread. So thank you very much :)
I'm a new rider bought my bike March this year, I had my first spill this month in angels crest canyon, I hit a nice little rock in the road while going down the hill through a turn I was bucked off my bike, the bike slid away as I slid and rolled, I was going about 40. I was able to ride the bike out and got away with a stiff neck and scraped palms.
the damage is
Right handlebar bent downwards
Front brake lever broke off
Right foot peg broke off
Right mirror cracked
Rear brake lever bent inwards
And throttle is sticky

I really just need to know how to unstick the throttle, and if it has to do with the fact that the bar is bent down, maybe there is now friction from the bend angle?
do I need to buy new handle bars if so, are they those clip ons?
For replacing the brake lever do I only need the lever itself or do I need the whole package ( brake resevoir)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Sorry about your spill. First, I'd look into some crash protection. I'd recommend getting some frame sliders like the Vagabond sliders that I have. They look awesome and are robust/solid. Also, you can get some front axle sliders/fork protectors to protect things up front. In back, you can get double duty slider spools from places like Woodcraft or @SpearsRacing. The Spears Racing slider spools are heavy duty. Spears also has nice chain adjusters with slider mounting holes that moves the protection backward-so it does two things-adds a better chain adjuster that looks cool, and moves the slider/slider spool mounting hole back toward the rear axle. It's $49 so it's a great deal. I don't have Spears engine sliders-I got mine from Japan-but Spears also has some really nice engine crash pads. To me, you cannot have enough protection for yourself or your bike.

As far as your handlebars, there are a lot of track dudes who are selling their stock parts. You can probably get a set of stock handlebars and parts on the cheap from the For Sale section. If you want to get more aggressive clip-ons, I'd recommend Vortex as they are the best blend of quality and price. I also like the clip-ons from Dimotiv, Graves, and Woodcraft, but they're all more expensive. You throttle cable is probably being tugged on by its changed position.
@jbluetooth (Jesse) runs the http://www.yamahar3racing.com/ blog which has a lot of How-to's. He also fabricates and sells his own fabricated parts and resells a lot of mainline brands like Vortex, M4, Akrapovic, OEM repalcement parts. He has a great deal on better levers that are adjustable and crash folding. And a whole bunch of parts. You can probably meet all your current needs between Spears and YR3-Racing, as they share a lot of parts too. There are some current deals too. As far as reaplcement levers, you cannot beat the Spears or YR3R lever at their price point. My lever & perch was $200. :-/

Good look. I'm sure a lot of the guys will help you with other questions too. Here is the Spears racing link: https://www.spearsenterprises.com

And remember, http://www.yamahar3racing.com, has a lot of info and reviews on the blog in the "How-To" section. Don't forget to lok at the For Sale Section.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Also check craigslist for parts. I've got brake lever, throttle tube with grip, windscreen etc for sale

·
Registered
196 Posts
the handlebar is called the clip on. those bend easily in crashes.
your throttle sticking could be from bent clipon or cracked throttle tube... who knows have to inspect the parts to determine.
If your brake reservoir and perch sustained no damage no cracks and is not leaking, a new brake lever will be ok.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey guys and gals I'd first like to say thank you for taking the time to view my thread. So thank you very much :)
I'm a new rider bought my bike March this year, I had my first spill this month in angels crest canyon, I hit a nice little rock in the road while going down the hill through a turn I was bucked off my bike, the bike slid away as I slid and rolled, I was going about 40. I was able to ride the bike out and got away with a stiff neck and scraped palms.
the damage is
Right handlebar bent downwards
Front brake lever broke off
Right foot peg broke off
Right mirror cracked
Rear brake lever bent inwards
And throttle is sticky

I really just need to know how to unstick the throttle, and if it has to do with the fact that the bar is bent down, maybe there is now friction from the bend angle?
do I need to buy new handle bars if so, are they those clip ons?
For replacing the brake lever do I only need the lever itself or do I need the whole package ( brake resevoir)

I have a right side clip on, stock rearset for sale if interested

1 - 6 of 6 Posts