Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my 2016 r3 in Rival Red last Tuesday and its being shipped to my local dealer to be assembled. Paid the full 4990 for it and about another 900 for fees :eek: also bought a shoei helmet 580 $ and a 120$ jacket. do i need to buy boots or pants? the lady helping me said tennis shoes are fine and also i'm not sure if i need riding pants. how often do your knees hit the pavement? i got some good gloves with knuckle protection as well. Im a brand new Motorcycle rider so any tips help! i plan on taking the motorcycle training corse to get my licence. hope to get alot of advice. thanks:)

·
Registered
304 Posts
It sounds like you're new to riding, and this post is sure to illicit a ton of snarky responses.

Take the MSF training course ASAP, the instructors will be a great, honest resource of information that will help you prepare for riding.
Enjoy the new bike.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just bought my 2016 r3 in Rival Red last Tuesday and its being shipped to my local dealer to be assembled. Paid the full 4990 for it and about another 900 for fees :eek: also bought a shoei helmet 580 $ and a 120$ jacket. do i need to buy boots or pants? the lady helping me said tennis shoes are fine and also i'm not sure if i need riding pants. how often do your knees hit the pavement? i got some good gloves with knuckle protection as well. Im a brand new Motorcycle rider so any tips help! i plan on taking the motorcycle training corse to get my licence. hope to get alot of advice. thanks:)

Congrats! And welcome to the board..
google threads and you will find loads of information on gear/ mods/ accessories etc.
Regarding shoes, get something with ankle support. I ride at times with normal shoes but that extra support does help.
I gear up all the time (even in 90 degree weather) strong believer of ATGATT :)
I do confess I don't have riding pants but will buy them sometime soon.
Protective gear is all about risk management and thus an open ended discussion. You have pretty much all the essential gear to get started. I assume the jacket is armored? Maybe invest in some good spine protector because jackets usually come with just a foam padding. Also, make sure the back protector is removable before investing in it.
Good luck and ride safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yea, no tennis shoes please. Get good boots with ankle protection. And your knees are going to take a big hit if ya go down. Good riding gloves too. ATGATT, live by it, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The lady helping me said tennis shoes are fine and also i'm not sure if i need riding pants. how often do your knees hit the pavement?
Yes, you can get away with tennis shoes. Not something I would want to go down in though. That is also where your knees might hit the ground too. Good gear is an investment, not an expense.

Just be careful out there. Take your time and ride safe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not endorsing this company, but here's a helpful page Bull-it has with pictures showing various impact zones along the body that manufacturers attempt to pad up in efforts to meet a certain European impact and abrasion standard for motorcycle gear: http://www.bull-it.com/ce

You won't need to go very far on the internet to find that people have very differing beliefs on ATGATT, CE standards, helmets, or really anything related to motorcycle safety, and there's no clear consensus a lot of the times. You'll have to decide what you're comfortable with.

An MSF instructor once told me this and it's stuck in my head ever since: "No one wakes up on a particular morning and thinks to themselves that today's the day they're going to crash." Personally, I haven't been down on my knees once, but I can assure you whether I get hit by a car when I have a right of way or whether I slide out in a corner and start tumbling on the pavement, I guarantee you I will be wanting something more durable and protected than jeans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i will be taking it just so i can learn on their bikes and not mine. I'm really nervous about dropping my bike but i know it will eventually happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, no tennis shoes please. Get good boots with ankle protection. And your knees are going to take a big hit if ya go down. Good riding gloves too. ATGATT, live by it, you'll be glad you did.
what does ATGATT mean> and thanks for convincing me to get boots still not sure on the armored pants. The jacket i got was armored besides the chest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not endorsing this company, but here's a helpful page Bull-it has with pictures showing various impact zones along the body that manufacturers attempt to pad up in efforts to meet a certain European impact and abrasion standard for motorcycle gear: http://www.bull-it.com/ce

You won't need to go very far on the internet to find that people have very differing beliefs on ATGATT, CE standards, helmets, or really anything related to motorcycle safety, and there's no clear consensus a lot of the times. You'll have to decide what you're comfortable with.

An MSF instructor once told me this and it's stuck in my head ever since: "No one wakes up on a particular morning and thinks to themselves that today's the day they're going to crash." Personally, I haven't been down on my knees once, but I can assure you whether I get hit by a car when I have a right of way or whether I slide out in a corner and start tumbling on the pavement, I guarantee you I will be wanting something more durable and protected than jeans.
thanks I am convinced to get boots and i think ill just go ahead and complete my gear and get armored pants too. I have confidence in myself because im a student pilot but i worry too!

·
Registered
389 Posts
what does atgatt mean> and thanks for convincing me to get boots still not sure on the armored pants. The jacket i got was armored besides the chest.

all the gear all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I'll chime in with my two cents. When I took my riding course, ALL the instructors told me the same thing - heaven forbid that something happens to you while riding but if it does, the only thing protecting you is what you're wearing. There are no airbags, ABS, seatbelts etc on a bike - just you and your gear. Wouldn't you prefer to be sweaty than have a layer of skin shaved off? Even going at a slower speed, say 30 mph, you'll be going more than fast enough to seriously break / crack bones and shave any kind of tennis shoes off.

Interestingly, I was on the fence about pants initially thinking that jeans would be fine. But when I went to take my license test, a girl there on an R6 with FULL leather gear convinced me otherwise.

She told me about a time when she was tooling along on a nice winding road and a guy that was obviously texting coming the other way veered into her lane and she had to go off onto the shoulder. The bike skidded and she lost control and fell off the bike. First thing that hit was her feet (in tennis shoes) then her knees, then butt skidded along the gravel. The jeans were shredded in seconds and she sustained serious knee and ankle injuries. She explained that with proper riding boots on and pants with armour, she likely would have been able to get up and dust off her bike and ride away. As it was, she needed several months of physio and recovery time.

Now, I never ride without full armoured gear, boots, gloves etc on - even if I'm literally going around the block. In my mind, its no different than putting on your seat belt in a car.

Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's your flesh, wear what you like. I've gotten looks and laughs when I walk into a store or wherever in full gear, but whatever. This body isn't perfect by any means, but I need it still so I'll wear the best I can afford, and work to get more.
As someone else mentioned, riding boots can not only protect your feet, but can actually make riding easier. They also won't get worn from the shifter as fast.

·
Registered
90 Posts
@ Joshua Mercer

please do yourself a BIG favour and follow through with taking a certified safety course where they teach you the proper safety equipment you need to have along with basic riding skills. Have fun!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts