Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone might have any idea on removing this (below) bolt. I am attempting to replace my headlight from a past crash damage about 2 months ago. For whatever reason the bolt just won't come out. I am using a 10mm socket. I am starting to strip the head so I walked away. Any idea what I can use to remove this?

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
Carefully spray some WD-40 around the bolt. Tape some newspapers/cardboard and plastic bags around area to protect plastic fairring and other surrounding painted stuff. Let it sit a while to workits way into the threads. Be sure to wipe up excess.

Try tapping it a bit with a small hammer to agitate it a bit. Then try wrapping some Electrical tape around the top of the bolt and try a vice grip on the flat ends of the gripping "claws." Sometimes I use a rag to protect the bolt. If you have a pipe to use on the end of the vice grips to increase leverage and five you a mechanical advantage, that would be swell. You could try a crescent wrench or socket first, of course. When trying to loosen it, jiggle the wrench back and forth in your motion in order to get it going.

You might need an extractor kit to get the bolt out. It's a great tool to have on hand.

Good luck!

Edit: found this How-To on WikiHow. It perfectly describes the steps for using a scree extractor. It's much better than ne describing the same steps and it has cisual aids. Really, having rhe kit on hand was a godsend; there is nothing worse than getting your work hung up due to a missing part or took.

Here's the WikiHow link-How to Use a Screw Extractor

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carefully spray some WD-40 around the bolt. Tape some newspapers/cardboard and plastic bags around area to protect plastic fairring and other surrounding painted stuff. Let it sit a while to workits way into the threads. Be sure to wipe up excess.

Try wrapping some Electrical tape around the top of the bolt and try a vice grip on the flat ends of the gripping "claws." Sometimes I use a rag to protect the bolt. If you have a pipe to use on the end of the vice grips to increase leverage and five you a mechanical advantage, that would be swell. You could try a crescent wrench or socket first, of course.

You might need an extractor kit to get the bolt out. It's a great tool to have on hand.

Good luck!
Thank you for the suggestions man. I appreciate it. I'm going to give the WD-40 method a shot.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Impact gun. Air compressed or electric.

Reactions: AesonVirus

·
Registered
732 Posts
If that doesn't work, you can try a dremel and make a straight cut across it and use a flat head screwdriver to get it out. That's what I had to do on my airbox screws. The fact that it isn't coming out easily leads me to believe it may be bent.
I can't remember that exact bolt? Is it attached to the frame or to another fairring piece with the metal clip nut? It's in a susceptible area for rain. Some of the fairring and body bolts that aren't galvanized and oxidize easily. It's probably stuck from a little rust. I highly recommend the S100 cleaning kit. They have a WD-40 like spray to protect metal parts that is awesome. I apply it to the bottom of my engine to protect it. It keeps it from getting that faded look too.

Also, you might not need a screw extractor kit-they make small ones with a few basic sizes. I highly recommend getting one. You might not need it now, but you will in the future. There is nothing worse needing one and the store is closed, and you have to postpone your work. Also, IMAO, a Dremel is a must have. I agree with @BluebirdR3.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pb blaster and or Craftsmen Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover Set. I guarantee you it'll work. I've got two of these socket sets from working on my car/friends cars and they never cease to amaze me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: I was finally able to remove the bolt and take off the fairing. I applied some downward pressure as I gently lifted the fairing upwards. Through all my efforts I did strip the bolt. BUT boy was I happy when it was removed. New headlight in place. Job done.

Thanks everyone for any hints and tips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts