Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I found a good deal for those of you thinking about getting HID projectors. ktmotorcycle.com sells them starting from $199 shipped (no additional hidden taxes/customs/fees)

I obtained a coupon code for R3-forum -$30 off using code kt20030

I chose ktmotorcycle because:

1) kit comes with a bracket installed which replaces the OEM reflector housings (which I would black out anyways).

2) everything was plug and play, soldering optional

3) they provided clear and detailed install instructions on their website including a wiring diagram

4) they sell a DIY kit or a Preinstalled kit with a new headlight unit

DIY kit http://www.ktmotorcycle.com/hid-projectors/hid-projector-hp31-for-yamaha-r3-2015-2016.html
DIY kit installation video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Cnae1hNfk

Preinstalled unit http://www.ktmotorcycle.com/custom-...id-projector-led-headlight-assembly-2015.html

I purchased the DIY kit with white angel eyes and red demon eyes for $199 shipped (after coupon). Install difficulty for me was a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10. It was my first time opening a headlight housing so I had some trouble with that. If I had purchased the Preinstalled kit I would have rated the difficulty at 2 on a scale of 1 to 10.

I am very impressed with their wiring and relay. A lot of thought went into it. The Demon eyes switch off when you turn on your HID's. The modes are as follows:

Engine off: all lights off
Engine on: Angel and demon eyes on
(new) low beam switch on: both HID low beam on, demon eye off
(OEM) high beam switch on: both HID high beam, demon eye off

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
http://imgur.com/a/ZgA85

I was not able to capture the Red Demon Eyes successfully in photograph. It looks very different, much better in person.

DIY kit is neat and well labeled. As far as I can tell, the HID and projectors are the same popular ones used by most suppliers. The difference with ktmotorcycles is the bracket and the wiring/relay/switch. Bracket allows for easy bolt on installation and the wiring/relay/switch allows you to achieve "turning off DRL when headlights are on" all in one single switch. Clean and simple. Ignore the silver triangle brackets, they were supplied as mounts for the ballasts. I used double-sided tape to mount them instead.

Headlight Unit After Install you will see I have black electric tape over some areas of the unit. This is because when I tried to bake it in the oven, some of the black faded, allowing transmission of light into the headlight unit. The black is delicate to combined heat and touch. I was unsuccessful in using the oven to open the headlight housing. It was a near disaster. A heat gun worked wonderfully. You will also see that I painted the triangle marker housing white. This was because when I cleaned it with wash/wax spray it faded the silver to black. I guess the triangle marker housing should only be cleaned with water.

Lowbeam/Highbeam on a rearstand at 10ft in daylight in an opened garage. Beams are not aligned because of the short distance.

This is where I mounted the supplied lowbeam switch.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
None of your pics are showing up for me, idk about anyone else.
Sorry, I was just saving the space to edit/add pictures later. Still struggling to add pictures. I don't know how to have them rotated on the forum post. They are rotated and upright in my files but not once uploaded

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry, I was just saving the space to edit/add pictures later. Still struggling to add pictures. I don't know how to have them rotated on the forum post. They are rotated and upright in my files but not once uploaded
I would upload them to a file hosting site like imgur and then link to them from there. Much easier than messing with the forum's attachment tools, IMO.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I had an issue with retrofitting my fz8 headlight doing the oven method. I'll be buying a heat gun to retro the r3.

Do you have any more pictures of the cut off when it is aligned? Those cut offs should be a lot sharper even at close distance if they are a quality set.

This a retrofit a friend on my other forum did recently with top of the line morimotos for reference.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I aligned them at 10 ft and they looked sharp in the middle portion like your friend's picture but mine is less sharp at the edges. However, aligned at 10 ft, the headlights were maxed out turning inwards and clearly not pointing forward. It probably doesn't look so sharp in my picture because this is in daylight.

I'm sure this kit I have is not top quality. I can tell that the projector housing is the same, most common housing that most retailers use. However, I am perfectly satisfied for the cost. Can't beat a projector custom kit at $199 shipped, to get any cheaper I would probably have need to purchase individual components and deal with the additional wiring, switches, and mounting of LED's inside the projectors.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Fair enough, it just looked really dispersed in the pictures which is why I questioned it. As you said, for 200 bucks it's a pretty good deal and not everyone wants or needs a super crisp cut off.

The retrofitsource has their dual bixenon at 270 before halos and devil eyes so it is a good bit of savings. I may try to piece something oem together for mine down the road, I'd love to get something a step up from the mini h1 kits.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I aligned them properly yesterday. I'll try to post a picture tonight. It is sharp and crisp in the middle, by on the left/right ends they sort of taper off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts