Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently changed oils air fliters and oil filter. After that the bikes average has horribly decreased which is 10km per litre though I'm riding below 7k rpm. In 3 days it burned about 8 litres of gas. What is reason behind it.

·
Super Moderator
909 Posts
Just recently changed oils air fliters and oil filter. After that the bikes average has horribly decreased which is 10km per litre though I'm riding below 7k rpm. In 3 days it burned about 8 litres of gas. What is reason behind it.
Be sure you have the air filter inserted in the proper direction. Should be an arrow stamped on the filter to show air flow direction. Other than an air flow restriction, I can't think of any reason you'd have a decrease in fuel mileage. :nerd:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Oil viscosity has some effect over fuel economy but it shouldn't drop you to 23mpg. Did you do the work yourself or did you get the work done at a shop? Also what weight oil as in it vs the oil you put in?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would look at restriction on air flow as the reason.
But, how much oil did you put in?? Were the bike on it's side stand when you put in the oil up to the mark, or were the bike upright?

Is the bike running hotter than before or same temp range

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Milc

I did all the works myself. Previous oil was the stock which came from the factory I changed to motul 4t 7100 2 litres.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tmd5855

I changed to motul 4t 7100. And about 2 litres up to the level. All okay with the airflow as well. And I did it all works using paddock stand so bike was in upright position.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I changed to motul 4t 7100. And about 2 litres up to the level. All okay with the airflow as well. And I did it all works using paddock stand so bike was in upright position.
It doesn't appear that you've done anything wrong in regards to the oil change, and it would be very strange for even a much thicker oil to have this noticable an impact.

I can only guess that perhaps you have somehow created strong resistance somewhere in the driveline. Try lifting the front and and rear end (separately) and making sure that the wheels are spinning freely and it's not your brakes binding. Other than that, it could have developed a fuel leak but you'd probably be able to smell that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you checked your tire pressure?

Edit: Never mind, you're talking about 24 miles per gallon loss? (10 km per liter lost) I've seen tire pressure give about a 4 mile per gallon loss. (1 km per liter.) What you're talking about is a crazy amount of fuel consumed from an oil and air filter change? That's not possible in my book, and I've changed about 10 oil filters, and 4 air filters on my R3's.

·
Super Moderator
1,301 Posts
This is odd. If you aren't winding it out, and everything checks out, something isn't right. The bike must be running overly rich for some reason.

Can you tell us more? What mods are on the bike, is the air filter stock paper or aftermarket? How many kms on it? Where do you live - ie what's the average ambient temps? What was your previous fuel economy? How far were you going on one tank before vs now? Many factors and you haven't told us very much so more details could help us try and pinpoint a cause.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm getting something similar, as I'm getting about 13km/L (~30mpg)....

I have checked the air filter, and its in the right position. Never got to see anything past 150km from Full to Reserve, which I find to be abnormally low distance traveled.

As far as I'm concerned, the bike is stock gearing, with a slip-on exhaust. The rest of the mods should not affect mileage... (Levers, wheel tape, relocated clip ons under the triple tree clamp)

The bike has about 11,250km on it, which I don't believe for it to be that high. I plan on putting some Seafoam in the tank to see if it changes anything. Maybe spark plugs are due?

I don't really know what else could be the issue here :|

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
8 Litres in 3 days is not a measurement of fuel mileage.

How far did you travel in 3 days?

I can get 250km on an 11 Litre (tank holds 14l) fill riding like a hooligan.

Guys, for fuel mileage calculation to be accurate you must fill your tank to the top, reset trip meter. Once you've ridden to empty use the distance on your trip meter with the volume of your last top off to calculate fuel mileage.... then report back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts