Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well it’s on the way to being that time of year again. Cold weather is coming if we like it or not.

The coldest I have ridden in was 26 degree’s and it just was not fun. I was tense the whole time because I was so cold. And the Cold Asphalt is so Sketchy. Sometimes feels like I'm on ice.

If it’s below about 40 I just don’t ride.

But, I have friends who actually ONLY have a bike for transportation. And they ride to work even when it is snowing out. Somehow don't bust their A$$.

So what's your take? What's too cold to ride? Or What conditions cause you to just not go out?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've ridden in high 20s on my way to work a few times since it was somehow 70 later on that afternoon. No idea how that works, I blame Al Gore. Heated grips, a neck gaiter, and a cold weather (not heated) jacket liner made the 25 minute ride bearable but wasn't really much fun.

I'm going to be adding some heated gear to my closet this off season to get a few more weeks/months to the season but cold road is ALWAYS a major concern. Plus ice. On four wheels it sucks, on two wheels (unless you're one of those crazy ass studded tire ice racers in Michigan) it's down right deadly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had a ride this afternoon at 11c
If i keep the speed on the 80kph limit it is ok still i guess
but not my usual crusing speed it gets Cold Fast haha :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Anytime there is ice on the road, its too cold for me. Although I can ride in 34f/1c, I can only ride max 20 min until my hand is frozen. I need to get one of those bark busters or some crap like that. I'm sure if I had something to keep my hand fine, I would be happy to ride in 32f/0c all day long unless there is ice on the road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anytime there is ice on the road, its too cold for me. Although I can ride in 34f/1c, I can only ride max 20 min until my hand is frozen. I need to get one of those bark busters or some crap like that. I'm sure if I had something to keep my hand fine, I would be happy to ride in 32f/0c all day long unless there is ice on the road.
Barkbusters don't do much, better off with heated grips or better yet, heated gloves.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My commute to work is maybe 10 minutes. I don't like to be cold, so I ususally don't use the bike if it's below 45 degrees. It takes longer to suit up than it takes to get to work when it's cold. Plus, in the winter time if we've had precip, then you have all the ice melt that's all over the roads, so I don't like to get that on the bike. Ideally, we'd get a nice rainstorm after each winter event to wash it all away.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Barkbusters don't do much, better off with heated grips or better yet, heated gloves.
I was afraid of that. Negative on heated gloves, I have some thick ass winter gloves and can't stand using it, feels like oven mitts. I'm only going to assume heated gloves have a similar loss of dexterity.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Coldest I have ridden was 24*F last November. I needed to get to work and the park brake on the car was frozen (caliper not cable was locked). Carhartt jacket and bibs, my normal work boots, and some kinda insulated but wind blocking gloves. I do not care to repeat that experience.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Twice I've ridden in the mid 30's

Once was on the blue ridge parkway in NC at the peak altitude and riding though clouds. Between the cold, dampness and visibility it was miserable.

Another time was riding on blood mountain in northern GA. I swear I had frozen snot hanging from my nose. It warmed up in the 50's to 60's later on in the day making it perfect for leathers.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Depends on wind really and wind chill. I don't mind it being 25 degrees. Also depends on snow fall. In Nwe York we've had some barren winters but had some nasty ones where there were 3-4 blizzards of like 2-3 feet of snow that stuck around for weeks. they go crazy with the sand and salt and create sand bars at intersections and curves. If that's the case, you kinda have to tread carefully and hope the street cleans mop it up or it dissipates from rain. I think the weather is onl going to get crazier with global warming.

I'll take the 4 seasons though. Some southern areas might have more sunshine, but they have other problems like wildfires, earth quakes, drought and mudslides out West and tornadoes, hail, drought, etc in the Midwest. People in NY used to be good drivers too. For some reason, they suck now. I guess it from mobile devices, and the general bad auto training and license requirements. There is no reason we cannot have the Autobahn in our expansive country. Even Japan has 112mph speed limit on highways.

My mantra is its always easier to warm up than it is to cool down. You can always add layers but sweating more doesn't help. Ride till your nuts freeze off!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a pair of FLY heated gloves -- they are great.

My commute is 30-35 mins. I've set my cutoff temp at 37 deg F. If it's less than that I drive.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have neck to toe Venture Heat heated liners so I ride in any weather whenever it is time to get where I am going as long as there is no ice on the road.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just don't ride once it gets into the 40's it ceases to be fun anymore , your tense , cold etc ... not good
I ride for fun ,so I usually put the bike away from November to March here in N.J.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in the Pacific Northwest so when I was gearing up I bought mostly waterproof stuff. My Scorpion jacket and pants both have multiple layers and have served me well since this April when I bought my bike. The coldest I've ridden in so far was about 36F and raining back in April - except for a small patch on my neck, it was fairly comfortable. I think I am a better rider for the experience.

That said, I think anything under about 40F is risky just because your tires probably won't get warm enough. Wet or snow just increases that risk. Unless you've got cold weather/snow tires with softer rubber, it probably isn't worth taking chances I think. I will likely ride through October, and in November put the bike in hibernation until April.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've ridden at 9F with Gerbings vest and gloves on full and was still losing body heat. Used to commute 40 miles at Interstate speeds on a nekid bike around 22F. Heated gloves are wonderful but are a big problem if you lose power since they have precious little insulation to withstand real cold.

·
Registered
460 Posts
just because your tires probably won't get warm enough.
Don't know about the Michelins but the IRCs on the CBR250R offer consistant grip in any temp. These modern all around production tires are not like the finniky street racing tires tires that everybody puts on that will dump you even on a warm day just because you stopped for lunch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts