Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not interested in the Ninja 300 or the KTM.
I am wondering if anyone here had a difficult time choosing between the R3 and the CBR300R. I know the h.p. difference, but there are different characteristics between how a single and a twin behave / respond.
I have only ridden the R3. (No demo CBR available at the moment.)

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know you're asking ride comparison relative to the CBR300, but based purely on the topic title, my wife chose the R3 because it had a gear indicator. :laugh:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What will you be using the bike for?
Day to day stuff. Some highway, usually under 1/2 hour. The odd day trip through countryside. Will want to do maintenance and fiddling myself.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Day to day stuff. Some highway, usually under 1/2 hour. The odd day trip through countryside. Will want to do maintenance and fiddling myself.
Both machines will handle these tasks with pleasure. If outright power is not your concern, go with whatever feels best between your legs. You really can't go wrong with either bike.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both machines will handle these tasks with pleasure. If outright power is not your concern, go with whatever feels best between your legs. You really can't go wrong with either bike.
Have to agree that comfy counts for a lot. I want to get closer to 300 lbs. than 400 lbs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Spent a a few months researching the R3 and CBR300R. Had previously ruled out the Ninja and KTM after sitting on them at a bike show. Just weren't right for me.

I eventually went w/ the R3 because of the little details that I felt would make it better for me as my first bike. Things like a progressive throttle and a more detailed instrument panel. I was surprised to find out that things like a fuel gauge and gear indicator were luxuries in the moto world.

I seriously considered the CBR because of the ABS and the fact that it felt really, really good to me at the bike show. However, the increased power of the R3, leading to a better freeway experience (easier cruising at 80mph and less vibration since its a twin), along with the aforementioned details, made the R3 the right choice for me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
For me the single in the CBR 300 wasn't even a consideration so that got ruled out. The CBR500 got ruled out for the low redline and weight. The KTM got ruled out for the fact the closest dealer is 2 hours away. That left the R3 or the Ninja and I had originally decided on the Ninja. Then I got to check out an R3. The lack of ABS bothered me at first and still steered me toward the ninja. I like the bigger tank and the Ninja felt fine but in the end the R3 won over because it just feels nicer and higher quality, the dash is much better and for me it is much more comfortable. The Ninja would have required new rearsets on day 1 for me to be able to ride it comfortably. I wish the R3 had ABS but that is really the only con to it for me. Plus the matte gray looks amazing.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I am a Honda fan, but the CBR300R is a toy. I don't like single-cylinder engines. The R3 has many features that put it above the CBR300R. No contest. R3 wins. R3 looks better too!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am a Honda fan, but the CBR300R is a toy. I don't like single-cylinder engines. The R3 has many features that put it above the CBR300R. No contest. R3 wins. R3 looks better too!
One can certainly make the same argument for the CBR. Sure, on paper the R3 is a clear winner. However, claiming one bike is better than another, by comparing spec sheets, is a fool's errand. Many reviews tell a different story regarding the CBR's ride quality, when compared to the other bikes in the group. They're both fantastic motorcycles - far from "No contest."

·
Registered
36 Posts
I chose the R3 based on a lot of research gear indicator and fuel gauge were some deciding factors also the twin parallel 320cc engine the cbr300r was ruled out due to it being a single and 286cc that was very disappointing to me because i am a honda man at heart ktm was ruled out just cause the closest dealer is almost 2 hours away and the ninja 300 well i didn't care about abs or the slipper clutch and the whole instrument cluster and clip ons was just ugly in my opinion do i regret buying the R3 nope

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
I sat on all of them (N300, R3, CBR300, CBR500, KTM 390) and the R3 was the best feeling to me. That's how I decided, no test rides unfortunately.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Prior to owning the R3 I owned a CBR250R. I also test rode the CBR300R (and a few other bikes) before deciding on the R3 so I am in a reasonable position to compare the CBR300R and the R3.

If I was looking for a pure commuter bike to go to and from work I probably would have kept the CBR250R. The low down power and torque of the 250 made it feel nippier and more responsive in typical commuter traffic compared to the R3 and I would imagine that the CBR300R feels this way even more so.

However, the reason I bought the R3 was the fact that although it can commute almost (but not quite) as well as the CBR250R could, it can tour a whole lot better. Although it needs to wind up a bit compared to the CBR, the higher gearing, power and rev limit make it much easier to pass traffic on single lane roads. The bikes aren't even in the same ballpark in this respect. That doesn't make the CBR a bad bike though, it just means it's better suited to city riding. You can still tour on it okay, you just have to plan your passing maneuvers even more carefully.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Don't make me list all the reasons the R3 beats the CBR300. Cuz i'm lazy, and I don't want to do it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I first decided to get a small sportbike for short sport rides and trackdays I was set on the RC390. But I was put off by the tiny fuel tank and having no dealers closer than 70 miles. Also, the only two KTM dealers in the state have bad reputations.
Another consideration was that I am hoping my wife will start riding again and the RC390 seat height is too high for her.
Our local Yamaha dealer has a good reputation and they offered a test ride. One ride and I was sold.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for great input.
There is an R3 available for $4000 cdn. with 6000 km on it so I will go for that and see how I feel about it in 3 months. First instinct was to get a CBR because I have become used to engines with low and midrange grunt (BMW R100S, F650, Ducat Pantah, Honda Hawk GT). I will have to dial my brain back to racing a 125GP bike (ancient history).
The nice thing about sub-$5000 bikes is that it is not too financially painful to change your mind. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Don't make me list all the reasons the R3 beats the CBR300. Cuz i'm lazy, and I don't want to do it!
That's cause you can't. :D

Make the list, but leave power and gear indicator off of it. I'm sincerely curious, maybe my logic is flawed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I found a dealer who had a Ninja, CBR and a R3. I rode all 3 back to back. This was my first bike and was leaning toward the Honda until I rode the R3. It was a little more in cost but the performance was worth it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks everyone for great input.
There is an R3 available for $4000 cdn. with 6000 km on it so I will go for that and see how I feel about it in 3 months. First instinct was to get a CBR because I have become used to engines with low and midrange grunt (BMW R100S, F650, Ducat Pantah, Honda Hawk GT). I will have to dial my brain back to racing a 125GP bike (ancient history).
The nice thing about sub-$5000 bikes is that it is not too financially painful to change your mind. :)
Very true. Next thing you know, you've got a garage full of 300s.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts