Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first sportbike. I've had mostly dualsports and one Harley. Looking at this bike I'm scratching my head wondering how I'm going to jack it to take the wheels off for tire changes?

I have a Harbor Freight motorcycle jack with two rubber coated arms.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Word.

Stands really are the way to go. Get a rear first, a front later if you have the coin. With a rear stand, you can change both tires using method Cap described. Stand(s) make it so much easier to change tires, do servicing, etc. Because of fairings, exhaust, etc., the floor lifts really don't work too well (except on H-D's and older Brit bikes). Pit Bulls are spendier than some, but you really do get what you pay for.

I have a pretty nice floor lift that works great for big twins (H-D's), but is almost useless on my sport bikes (even my Buells). Conversely, the Pit Bulls really don't get the job done on 600-800 lb Hardley Ablesons - go figure - get the right tool for the job I guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Straps can also work for the front. I used a Harbor Freight stand on the rear.

Any number of front stand stands, pit-bull, Venom, etc. should work so long as you get the right pin....goes into the bottom of the head-stem, under the triple

I have always used straps as well hanging from my punching bag hook in the ceiling or you can use a punching bag stand.

Granted you can buy pins for pit bull stands or any of the other ones, the tie-downs hanging from the ceiling always worked good and free for me on any number of bikes :)

Or make an A-frame stand, like a swing-set, I did this once for a bike that sat for months with no front forks or wheel while I did alot of upgrades and replacements(this uses up alot of room, very cumbersome and can get in the way)

Buy some cheap swing-arm spools for the rear and use a Harbor stand, I have one of these as well. Works fine with spools.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts