Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I typically get 170-175 miles from full to the fuel light on my 2016 and have ridden up to a bit over 40 miles beyond that before filling up. The most I've managed to get in the tank then has been a little over 12 litres if I remember correctly.
If Yamaha's spec of 14 litres fuel capacity is to be believed then there's theoretically 70-80 miles available after the fuel trip starts if you ride steadily.

How far has anyone pushed their luck?

·
Super Moderator
1,294 Posts
I've never personally done it but my son has ridden my bike about 100 kms or 60 miles roughly with the last bar flashing. He was in the middle of nowhere so couldn't get fuel until he was back in our area. I didn't ask how much fuel he put in though. I know myself personally, I've never put in more than about 11 litres of fuel.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've never personally done it but my son has ridden my bike about 100 kms or 60 miles roughly with the last bar flashing. He was in the middle of nowhere so couldn't get fuel until he was back in our area. I didn't ask how much fuel he put in though. I know myself personally, I've never put in more than about 11 litres of fuel.
After reading thru this thread below I would think 100 km is correct. One guy reported he ran his tank dry. After the low fuel light came on he traveled 101 km.

https://www.r3-forums.com/forum/289-yamaha-r3-general-discussion/117049-tank-size-2.html

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's correct! I never did it again without carrying an extra canister but I routinely run my R3 80 - 90 km with the low fuel light and still have almost half a liter left in tank...

·
Registered
321 Posts
When I fill up after the light turns on I usually still have about a gallon left. With how I ride I've got about 40 miles until empty assuming my last fill up maxed out the fuel capacity. Even so, a conservative 30 miles is more than enough to find a petrol station.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I carried a bottle of fuel to intentionally run the tank empty to find the capacity and the range on reserve. In order to get consistent fill ups I always sit on the bike to level it and then only fill until the fuel just splashes over the fill plate. It took 3.742 gallons US after adding the .165 I poured in from the bottle. The range on reserve counter on the instrument cluster is a nice feature which showed 59.9 miles to the first time it sputtered on accel During a really horrible ride home in headwinds and eventually heavy rain). Total for the tank was 281.8 miles/ 3.742 gallons US = 75.30 mpgUS, 90.43 mpg Imp, 32.01 km/ L, 3.123 L/ 100 km.
I usually ride my Honda CBR250R for my 80 mile round trip commute but decided to start using the R3 more to see what I can get out of it since it has mostly just sat around last year. The last tank on the Honda was 102.1 mpg US in similarly cold/ wet weather.
So I took off the Bridgestone S20's I had installed since they wear really quickly and lost 10% of the fuel economy, and reinstalled a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Street. which are the longest lasting and most efficient commuter tires I have ever used. The Michelin rear on my CBR250R lasted 18,000 miles and the front is still good at 35,000 miles. The IRC's, which are also excellent, went 15,000 each for two rears and 31,000 for the original front on the Honda.
So the R3 got new tires and +1, -2 longer gearing. Which should have been over 12.4% longer but my speedo healer is set to +9.8% to get the odometer correct so it must have had about 2.6% optimistic read out from the factory.
I am using my plank style luggage system so still want to build an aero trunk and come up with a taller wind screen.
My commute is 80% highway at 65 mph and I should be able to average over 85 mpg US if we ever get some hot, dry weather. Which is really good for such a fun engine. This will easily beat the Ninja's.
I carried a bottle of fuel to intentionally run the tank empty to find the capacity and the range on reserve. In order to get consistent fill ups I always sit on the bike to level it and then only fill until the fuel just splashes over the fill plate. It took 3.742 gallons US after adding the .165 I poured in from the bottle. The range on reserve counter on the instrument cluster is a nice feature which showed 59.9 miles to the first time it sputtered on accel During a really horrible ride home in headwinds and eventually heavy rain). Total for the tank was 281.8 miles/ 3.742 gallons US = 75.30 mpgUS, 90.43 mpg Imp, 32.01 km/ L, 3.123 L/ 100 km.
I usually ride my Honda CBR250R for my 80 mile round trip commute but decided to start using the R3 more to see what I can get out of it since it has mostly just sat around last year. The last tank on the Honda was 102.1 mpg US in similarly cold/ wet weather.
So I took off the Bridgestone S20's I had installed since they wear really quickly and lost 10% of the fuel economy, and reinstalled a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Street. which are the longest lasting and most efficient commuter tires I have ever used. The Michelin rear on my CBR250R lasted 18,000 miles and the front is still good at 35,000 miles. The IRC's, which are also excellent, went 15,000 each for two rears and 31,000 for the original front on the Honda.
So the R3 got new tires and +1, -2 longer gearing. Which should have been over 12.4% longer but my speedo healer is set to +9.8% to get the odometer correct so it must have had about 2.6% optimistic read out from the factory.
I am using my plank style luggage system so still want to build an aero trunk and come up with a taller wind screen.
My commute is 80% highway at 65 mph and I should be able to average over 85 mpg US if we ever get some hot, dry weather. Which is really good for such a fun engine. This will easily beat the Ninja's.
See the "Real world R3 fuel mileage" thread page 27.
https://www.r3-forums.com/forum/289-yamaha-r3-general-discussion/3393-real-world-r3-fuel-mileage-thread-27.html

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Nice. You mentioned IRCs and Michelin Pilot Streets. Am I correct to believe both of these tires are bias ply tires?? I rebooted my 2015 R3's OEM Michelin Pilot Street bias ply tires with the later model's OEM Dunlap Supermax GPR 300 radials. Since I'm old and slow, my riding style doesn't require the "radial feel", and I honestly felt little difference in handling or braking. IMO, the biased ply tires are perfectly safe and suited to the R3 and my riding style. So, I'm prone to think my next set of tires will be biased ply again. Initially cheaper to purchase and better overall mileage and wear. Thoughts? :nerd:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts