Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, My new 2016 will be here this week and after the break-in period i'm looking into a slip-on exhaust system, particularly the R77 carbon fiber slip-on. I've heard what the ninja 300 sounds like with a two-brothers SR1 slip on. Is that comparable? As far as sound quality and loudness? Would like to hear it in person first but probably not gonna happen. Thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just put on the akrapovic slip on. I'm not sure about the yosh but the akrapovic is pretty much a straight pipe, you can clearly see right through it. The yosh may be even quieter than mine. Most of what kills the noise on the R3 is the cat, so it was pretty much what I expected. A bit louder than stock but a deeper exhaust note. I'm pretty happy with it overall.

To give you an idea you could take off the stock silencer and start the bike up, with the massive cat there you won't hurt the bike and it won't be deafening. Takes about 10 minutes if you take your time.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There are dozens of threads on this topic. No, slip-ons for the R3 are NOT COMPARABLE in any way to bikes like the Ninja 300 or CBR 300/500. As Rich89 said, our catalytic converter is downstream from the exhaust can, and the cat is the primary mechanism for muffling the sound. You will not get the sound you are looking for unless you remove the cat and get a full system or hybrid slip-on like the M4 street slayer.

The Yosh, Two Brothers, Akra, and any other slip on that does NOT remove the cat is essentially just a straight pipe for your bike. It will produce a slightly better/ more full exhaust note (reportedly, but this is subjective of course) but it will not get you that nice loud sound that other bikes' slip on systems produce.

The Yosh is probably one of the quietest slip-ons. If you want LOUD, go with the M4 Street Slayer or a full system + power commander. If you you want to hear what something like the Akra slip on will sound like just take off your stock exhaust can and run the bike on the straight pipes for a while, it will sound a lot like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts