Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally I was a fan of motorcycles since middle school, but I never had the plums to take the rider course and get my license. Since buying my R3 I have really fell in love with motorcycles and riding. I do want to keep my R3 for a while, but lets be honest, one motorcycle isn't enough >:D>:D

I was wondering what people's collections looked like, do you own multiple motorcycles, do you have a white whale you have been searching for for years?

Personally I've been searching all over craigslist for end of summer steals, but purchasing a car soon I just can't justify/afford another bike. But that doesn't mean a man can't dream. I would love to pick up a Ducati 999. There's just something about those stacked round headlights.. Another bike that came on my radar was a Yamaha R6 50th anniversary. In my area there are a lot of old BMW's for sale as well. I'd love to get a deal on one and transform it into a cafe racer like this
. There's a lot more I have bookmarked over the years, but for now those would be the trifecta to add to my garage.

·
Registered
433 Posts
just the r3 for now, still planning on doing a race conversion like many awesome members have done on this site but I have also been eyeing down a few mid 2000s cbr's and r6's looking for that sweet off season deal.

I really want a supermotto too maybe a drz and I have to say I find myself looking at the grom more and more on craigslist these days...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I plan on keeping my R3 for a while. I want to buy a CBR600RR as my next bike, but they're pretty expensive to insure at my age even with no tickets/accidents. I also want to get a dual sport like a WR250. I haven't been riding for so that long but I do agree that bikes are addicting and one just isn't enough.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Besides the R3, I'd love to have this garage:

Bikes

1) Triumph Scrambler or Ducati Scrambler or both

2) Honda CB500x with Rally Raid Kit

3) Yamaha FZ600R

Cars

1) Jeep Wrangler with hella mods

2) VW Golf R with manual transmission (manual/AWD)

3) Subaru WRX STI (manual/AWD)

4) Mini Cooper Countryman S All4 (manual/AWD)

I basically hate automatic, dual clutch, or anything not stick shift

and if I had crazy $$$, I'd add

5) Audi R8

6) Acura NSX

7) Porsche Panamera or Cayman

·
Registered
460 Posts
09 Ninja250 (just sold for the R3)
Honda CBR250R (daily commuter)
Honda PCX150 (around town errands)
Ninja650 (heavy beast is for sale)
Yamaha Majesty 400 (Main commuter for my son)
R3 (play bike and my daughter's for family rides)
Want Honda CBR125R for fuel economy competitions but never sold in the USA

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife and I have these in our 1-car garage:

2009 Honda Rebel 250
2015 Yamaha R3
1992 CBR 600 F2
2015 Yamaha Star Bolt (942cc)

We're rebuilding the carburetor on the Rebel right now, so that we may sell it in good condition. I dislike the Honda Rebel so much, but it was an okay starter bike to learn what I like and don't like and what I want in a bike.

My wife loves her Bolt. The Bolt is her commuter bike as she has a ~50 minute work commute 5 days a week. I just can't get comfy on cruisers. My brain is telling me to lean forward, but the cruiser's like .."no," what with the forward pegs and whatnot. The sportbike position simply feels more natural to me, so I don't care much for her Bolt except it is a cool looking bike. That and it's really heavy (more gym days in my future).

The R3 is my perfect me bike, small, quick, sexy, comfortable. The CBR is my wife's "I want a sportbike" bike she caught for a good deal from a coworker needing cash for a car. The CBR is faster and much louder than my R3 but old school. I look forward to exploiting what pros they both have to offer and becoming a better rider all around. I'm lucky to have my wife who is a much better rider than me. Having these interests together is awesome.

As far as my dream bike, I have it already. It's the R3 by far but with a few modifications that I'm saving up for :)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
My wife and I have these in our 1-car garage:

2009 Honda Rebel 250
2015 Yamaha R3
1992 CBR 600 F2
2015 Yamaha Star Bolt (942cc)

We're rebuilding the carburetor on the Rebel right now, so that we may sell it in good condition. I dislike the Honda Rebel so much, but it was an okay starter bike to learn what I like and don't like and what I want in a bike.

My wife loves her Bolt. The Bolt is her commuter bike as she has a ~50 minute work commute 5 days a week. I just can't get comfy on cruisers. My brain is telling me to lean forward, but the cruiser's like .."no," what with the forward pegs and whatnot. The sportbike position simply feels more natural to me, so I don't care much for her Bolt except it is a cool looking bike. That and it's really heavy (more gym days in my future).

The R3 is my perfect me bike, small, quick, sexy, comfortable. The CBR is my wife's "I want a sportbike" bike she caught for a good deal from a coworker needing cash for a car. The CBR is faster and much louder than my R3 but old school. I look forward to exploiting what pros they both have to offer and becoming a better rider all around. I'm lucky to have my wife who is a much better rider than me. Having these interests together is awesome.

As far as my dream bike, I have it already. It's the R3 by far but with a few modifications that I'm saving up for :)
LOL I know exactly how you feel on the lean thing. Dude at my last job had me ride his Vstar home cause he wasnt comfortable on his first day. I kept wanting to lean forward haha. It was so awkward. Less than 30 miles on a cruiser and I know it definitely is not for me.

Another guy at work bought a bolt. The dude with the Vstar ended up liking it so much, he bought one too, in baby blue lol.

As for me, my mind changes too much to have a dream bike. **** I dont even have a garage anymore (I feel like I took a 3 rank demotion. BARRACKS!). I want all the bikes. In my near future (~2-3 weeks) I am going to own an RVF400, which will be unique to me cause I have never owned a V4. I want to own an Aprilia RS250 as well, because I have also never owned a 2 stroke supersport (or any 2 stroke for that matter). If Honda releases the lightweight concept bike, I will grab one of those and sell what my current bike is (probably the RVF, unless I like it so much I just cant let it go.) I like all the bikes lol. Anyone ever try an S1000R? Not the Double R. Wonder how good of a 2-up bike it would be.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I test rode a Bolt at a Yamaha Demo-Days. I hated it. Cruisers are not for me. I spent years on the dirt. I love 2-strokes for the dirt. I had a CR500R, and a last-gen CR250R. My current bikes are in my Sig.

·
Registered
77 Posts
1996 Kawasaki KLR 650, Adventure touring bike, bought new, go anywhere bike.
2010 Honda NT 700, Sport touring bike, replacement for my PC 800.
2015 Yamaha YZF R3, just for fun. Rode one in Arizona, had to have one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Apart from the R3, I've still got my '91 Aprilia AF1 125 Replica, although it's in boxes mid-restoration. Life got in the way of that project, then I got a little side-tracked with the R3. Hoping to make a start on it again later this year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The RVF400's are sweet; much cooler than the new CBR500RR's by far. Idk what it is, but the new CBR's just look kind of too generic to me. Ah, barracks life. I visited my wife there once or twice before we got married, and I think it would be pretty tough to live there personally. Limited electricity and hot water on the weekends..no thanks. You all deserve better; it's a shame. But, thank you for serving!

A replica bike as in you can buy a kit and put it together? And it's a functioning bike? That's pretty cool. I've always been drawn to the Aprilia bikes myself, but I'm too inexperienced plus they are too expensive to consider atm.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My current stable:
2011 Suzuki Hayabusa
2003 Kawasaki zx6rr
2x 2013 ninja 300's
2016 Yamaha R3

The Hayabusa is the only bike that gets ridden on the street, the rest are race bikes.

I'ld love to add an old Suzuki RG 500 to the collection

And a bimota tesi 3D would look great in my lounge room (although I'm unlikely to ever buy one of these)

·
Registered
16 Posts
My current stable:
2011 Suzuki Hayabusa
2003 Kawasaki zx6rr
2x 2013 ninja 300's
2016 Yamaha R3

The Hayabusa is the only bike that gets ridden on the street, the rest are race bikes.

I'ld love to add an old Suzuki RG 500 to the collection

And a bimota tesi 3D would look great in my lounge room (although I'm unlikely to ever buy one of these)
Wow nice collections all around, especially the hayabusa, that for me is the sexyist motorcycle. I just got into riding, the R3 is my first and will be with me for awhile until I completely dominate it. My age and economics dictate that when I'm ready to move up to a big time motorcycle I will be skipping the 600, 650, 750, 1000's and go straight to the hayabusa. What a beautiful silky smooth beast of a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The RVF400's are sweet; much cooler than the new CBR500RR's by far. Idk what it is, but the new CBR's just look kind of too generic to me. Ah, barracks life. I visited my wife there once or twice before we got married, and I think it would be pretty tough to live there personally. Limited electricity and hot water on the weekends..no thanks. You all deserve better; it's a shame. But, thank you for serving!

A replica bike as in you can buy a kit and put it together? And it's a functioning bike? That's pretty cool. I've always been drawn to the Aprilia bikes myself, but I'm too inexperienced plus they are too expensive to consider atm.
Not sure when you last in a barracks. Its not like basic training type barracks. I was in Basic almost 15 years ago. The barracks' now are almost like small hotel rooms. My only problem is that the **** Marines have their barracks across from us, and they have night class. They are entirely too motivated at 12 in the morning. I dont need a HooYah at that time. I dont think anyone does.

To my knowledge, replica=race replica. Been doing too much reading and now I dont know what I want again. RS250 or RVF400? There are 34 RVF400s available where I will be stationed next, and something like 12 RS250s.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As Kojiiro said, the Replica in the name was due to it being a Race Replica. I bought it when I was 17 and have had it ever since...nearly 25 years. I started to restore it as a project (that's why it's in boxes) and its pretty much ready to go back together, life got in the way though. It was supposedly the first 125 in the UK to break 100mph. Will have to try and find my restoration thread and re-post on here somewhere :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
We have alot of bikes at my house. I ride a Blue R3 and a YZ450f, my 13 year old son rides a YZ250f, and my 10 year old rides KX85, and we just added two CRF70s for backyard bar banging battles, supercross style. If you ask the boys, the crf70s are the funnest bikes ever. Go figure.

My Dream rides....(which I'll never own, unless I win the lottery)
2016 R1
2017 CAMARO 1LE or ZL1 ( high performance, bang for the buck)
2017 FORD RAPTOR

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
As Kojiiro said, the Replica in the name was due to it being a Race Replica. I bought it when I was 17 and have had it ever since...nearly 25 years. I started to restore it as a project (that's why it's in boxes) and its pretty much ready to go back together, life got in the way though. It was supposedly the first 125 in the UK to break 100mph. Will have to try and find my restoration thread and re-post on here somewhere :)

You assembled the chain on the wrong side ...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts