Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya'll,
I need to replace my Brake fluid every 2 years as mentioned on the Service Manual. Just wondering how much brake fluid is needed for both front and rear brakes?
Also, any recommendations on which brand to use, i see Prestone & Valvoline DOT 4 brake fluid which are most popular.
Thank you.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'ld think 100ml would be more than you would need (provided your brakes are working well at the moment). I've tried a couple of different brands and could not tell the difference at all

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Nobody sells bottles that small though, but that sounds about right. I use Motul RBF600.

Reactions: VULGR

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Nobody sells bottles that small though, but that sounds about right. I use Motul RBF600.
Actually, the major brands do sell in 100ml bottles. Might be an overseas thing but they have them here in Japan for sure. At first I thought it was dumb since I didn't think it would be enough. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. The smallest bottles available stateside are always wasted because the fluid just sits around and in theory as it sits, it's just pulling water out of the air and degrading itself. I'll snap a pic of the baby bottles of brake fluid next time I buy one or go to the shop.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Actually, the major brands do sell in 100ml bottles. Might be an overseas thing but they have them here in Japan for sure. At first I thought it was dumb since I didn't think it would be enough. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. The smallest bottles available stateside are always wasted because the fluid just sits around and in theory as it sits, it's just pulling water out of the air and degrading itself. I'll snap a pic of the baby bottles of brake fluid next time I buy one or go to the shop.
Exactly. I'm having this same conversation on the zx6r forum actually lol...we don't have the midget bottles you're talking about. At least I've never seen one anywhere. It would be much better though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Amsoil brake fluid comes in 12oz bottles which is about the smallest I have seen in the states.

The new Amsoil DOT 4 fluid is fantastic. Not QUITE up to Castrol SRF specs, but is better than just about anything else out there, especially at the price point. Castrol SRF is the ****, but its like $60+ a liter so its CRAZY expensive.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use motul brake fluid. Also I wouldn't get 'just' enough. Because let's say you get an air bubble when refilling the system and it's hard to get out. You'll be pumping through a fair amount of fluid to try get it out and if you run out, you're sort of screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I use motul brake fluid. Also I wouldn't get 'just' enough. Because let's say you get an air bubble when refilling the system and it's hard to get out. You'll be pumping through a fair amount of fluid to try get it out and if you run out, you're sort of screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How are you screwed though? Am I doing it wrong? The way I change brake fluid is drain all my old fluid with my mityvac, and bleed the new fluid down the mc to the caliper. The excess goes into the fluid container and if there is an air bubble, you can pump all the fluid out and reuse. My tools are kept clean so the odds of getting contaminants in the system isn't very high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts