Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is something that's interesting me about this bike. Speaking purely about the UK market here, with the Honda CBR500R putting out the maximum 46.5bhp A2 limit, and their CBR300R at about 31bhp. Kawasaki's ninja 300 putting out about 34bhp? where do we think Yamaha will come into this class. I don't see an issue with a 300cc parallel twin putting out 40bhp+. but then why hasn't this been done by the other brands? Perhaps the bikes are more economy focused. I know my R125 sits right on the bhp limit for a learner 125cc bike in the UK with 14.6bhp. Would love too see this engine high revving (at least the 13k redline that the ninja has, wouldnt be able to cope with the sluggish 8.5k with the CBR500R) and touching 45bhp, I dont think however this is going to be the case.
What do you think?????

Edit: I definitely also want to see some meaty brakes on this bike. At least one Brembo disk at the front.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I dunno if R3 will lead the HP race, those Duke 390 kick out a feck ton of power. I heard they actually had to be detuned for the UK market as P/W was putting it over the legal limit...

this is the speculation @JMPeat

·
Registered
223 Posts
i wouldnt say the 390 is a fair comparison

it has a displacement advantage.

the duke 200 is probably a closer bet.

i am confident that out of the 250s that R25 will lead and even close in on the 300s

if Yamaha can keep the weight down low we may have a winner here

·
Registered
391 Posts
i wouldnt say the 390 is a fair comparison

it has a displacement advantage.

the duke 200 is probably a closer bet.

i am confident that out of the 250s that R25 will lead and even close in on the 300s

if Yamaha can keep the weight down low we may have a winner here
well figure if the 250 is kicking out 35+, shouldn't be any issue whatso ever for the 300 to get to 40 hp!

Figure the CBR300 jumped to 30 hp from the 26 the 250 put out. So if Yami does a similar longer stroke jump for the R3 from the R25 40 is well within grasp...

·
Registered
308 Posts
The R3 doesn't look very heavy either. It isn't as bulky as some of the other bikes that are shown in that infographic so I do think that it has the potential to lead the pack in terms of power.

The KTM 390 is a bit too powerful to be really considered as a fair comparison IMO.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The R3 doesn't look very heavy either. It isn't as bulky as some of the other bikes that are shown in that infographic so I do think that it has the potential to lead the pack in terms of power.

The KTM 390 is a bit too powerful to be really considered as a fair comparison IMO.
alls fair in love and motorcycling mate ;) Its also not really fair when the 390 is put up against 500s and cleans their clocks ;)

Consider, the RC is expected to put out 41 hp from its single, the R3 IF it makes 40 from its P-Twin is going to have a much more linear power delivery, smoother revs and will likely be more behaved in the lows and mids. The RC's and Dukes are racy sure but they're also quite jumpy. Will it still be unfair if the R3 eats the RC's lunch ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts