Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I have a MT-03 and moding it out, not gonna race it, but I got a MT-07 and did not like it. I d rather have my MT-03 with more power. As much as I can reliably squeeze out of it. I go for long 200mile Sunda rides about 6 times a year in summer.

I am having head work from Norton, and all the other wizbans that go with the kir. But have not considered the Big Bore kit, would like to know what options are out there, are they reliable? etc

Thank you

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
324 Posts
Hi Folks, I have a MT-03 and moding it out, not gonna race it, but I got a MT-07 and did not like it. I d rather have my MT-03 with more power. As much as I can reliably squeeze out of it. I go for long 200mile Sunda rides about 6 times a year in summer.

I am having head work from Norton, and all the other wizbans that go with the kir. But have not considered the Big Bore kit, would like to know what options are out there, are they reliable? etc

Thank you
Not reliable at all on the R3. MotoAmerica tried to do it for a couple years to keep up with the 400s, but they were rebuilding their engines every weekend, sometimes overnight between Saturday and Sunday.

This is what'll get you the most power reliably if that's what you're aiming for.

Norton Racing Superbike Ported Head Kit (50hp) – Yamaha R3

· Registered
434 Posts
I know someone who bought a 2mm overbore kit from one of the popular online vendors (not naming names - although it's highly likely that they are all the same parts). It ended up being an oil-burner. (Racetrack use. It consumed 1 litre of oil - half what's in the crankcase! - in a 2 hour endurance race.)

My own experience with touching engines with plated-alloy cylinders (most newer high-performance bike engines) has not been successful. It is tricky to get the right surface finish to the cylinder walls. I don't know how to do it. The OEMs don't seem immune to this ... earlier Honda CBR1000s were notorious oil-burners, and it's odd, because CBR600s were fine.

IMO "do not touch" aside from genuine Yamaha parts - those work.

· Registered
22 Posts
My own experience with touching engines with plated-alloy cylinders (most newer high-performance bike engines) has not been successful. It is tricky to get the right surface finish to the cylinder walls. I don't know how to do it.
The R3 has a full and special quality aluminium cilinderhead without a metal bushing.

It should be suitable for a big bore set.
But it seems that it is not developed on a high level.

There is an OEM set from Yamaha with a thinner cilinderhead gasket, high compression pistons and new camshafts.
50 hp, the engine size remains the same.
Automotive tire Font Bicycle part Goggles Circle

· Super Moderator
550 Posts

Thank you
Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the MT-07? I race a 2016 FZ-07, and "street" a 2019 R3. I much prefer the low-end grunt of the "07", but the R3 is just a FUN bike to ride. It does everything well, and is just easier to ride. That being said, there is a part of me that wishes I had bought a second "07" for the street. I just know if I had a "street" a MT-07, I would not be happy until I modded it to feel exactly like my race FZ-07 (this could easily end my happy marriage :LOL: ). I love my R3, and make better choices on the street- without the power of the MT-07 :cool:. I'd love to hear your thoughts...

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually have an MT07 and NMT09 but the MTO seven comes at a price. It’s much heavier slower turning, and just not nearly as nimble as the MT03

I change the front end of the MT07 with the R7. As compared to the MT03 eights wider sits higher and I’m not that tall.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

· Super Moderator
550 Posts
I actually have an MT07 and NMT09 but the MTO seven comes at a price. It’s much heavier slower turning, and just not nearly as nimble as the MT03

I change the front end of the MT07 with the R7. As compared to the MT03 eights wider sits higher and I’m not that tall.

View attachment 70605
I think I actually saw that bike on the FZ/MT-07.org site??? I really like what you did with the R7 front end!!! It appears you have done everything to help the cornering/tip-in. It appears you have lowered the front end/raised the upper fork tubes in the triples. That being said, you likely own the street MT-07 that I desire. You obviously know what you like, and make it work. Thank you for the quick reply to my questions. I'll try to attach a pic of my "MotoAmerica Super-Hooligan" inspired FZ-07. Most people either love it, or hate it :giggle: . I'm 53 years old, still racing- and just chasin' my smile :cool: -
Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle Fuel tank

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes, I put a lot of time and effort into that MT – 07 hoping to make it work. Actually, I was preparing it for my daughter and she’s the one that rides the MT Dash 03. Both bikes have been lowered to accommodate her height. there is one more modification needed to the MT-07 which is too narrow the rear wheel to take on the 160 the bike comes with the 180 which is another reason why it is so slow in cornering. I I also took the slipper clutch from the R7 and had it installed on the MT-07, but all in all this was a very interesting learning experience that goes to show you bigger is not always better with a bigger motor comes with a bigger, crank more metal, more weight More rotating mass in the motor which slows the bikes handling. That’s why I do believe a happy medium would have been for a Yamaha to do a Kawasaki did make this thing a 400 or even a 450 twin

· Super Moderator
550 Posts
Yes, I put a lot of time and effort into that MT – 07 hoping to make it work. Actually, I was preparing it for my daughter and she’s the one that writes the MT Dash 03. Both bikes have been lowered to accommodate her height. there is one more modification needed to the MT Dash 07 which is too narrow the rear wheel to take on the 116 the bike comes with the 180 which is another reason why it is so slow in cornering. I I also took the slipper clutch from the R7 and had it installed on the MT Dash 07, but all in all this was a very interesting learning experience that goes to show you bigger is not always better with a bigger motor comes with a bigger, crank more metal, more weight More rotating mass in the motor which slows the bikes handling. That’s why I do believe a happy medium would have been for a Yamaha to do a Kawasaki did make this thing a 400 or even a 450 twin
If you (or your daughter) still own the MT-07, consider going to a 180/60/17 rear tire (as apposed to the OEM 180/55/17) It raises the rear end slightly, but increases the ease of tip-in, and increases the contact patch-

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you (or your daughter) still own the MT-07, consider going to a 180/60/17 rear tire (as apposed to the OEM 180/55/17) It raises the rear end slightly, but increases the ease of tip-in, and increases the contact patch-
Sorry Siri was not working very well. I am narrowing the rear rim from 17x5.5 to 17x4.75" and putting on a 160. There is no need for a 180 for a bike with 80HP at the crank. Way overkill and slows the bike down in every way.

· Registered
5 Posts
Faster bikes are larger and heavier for a reason. If you don't want an R7 then there are several motorcycles to choose from among the different manufacturers.
In my opinion the best speed to weight/agility ratio are either the Triumph Daytona 675 or the 2005 GSXR-600.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts