Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed tst flush mount front turn signals and they look very well.. but are pretty close to the body and hard to see. My number one concern is my safety and I'm just wondering how safe are front flush turn signals compared to the stock signals? Will cars be able to see me clearly? Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
If safety is your number one concern, you would retain the stock orange pumpkin signals. They are the most visible signal I've seen around.

I own a kawasaki. Kawasaki oem signals are hard to see. I have expensive (100 bucks a piece) italian LED signals on another bike which are eye-blinding inside the garage. They are hard to see in sunlight. I have ridden behind all my bikes operated by other users. The only signal I can see every. single. time. during daytime/sunlight through my peripheral vision (ie., I'm not staring at the signals) is the stock yamaha signals.

Flush mounts are probably the worst, hardest to see signals around. Do yourself a favor. In sunlight, turn on your bike, turn on your signals, walk 100 feet away and see how well you can see the signals. Yeah, and now imagine you are in a car and not staring directly at a bike's signals. Might as well buy 50 dollar pieces of jolly ranchers candy and super glue them in place where the signals are. They might almost be as effective as flush mounts.

If safety is priority, you will retain the stock signals. That said, no one really cares about signal safety in their tier of priorities. Most if not all sportbike owners care more about looks than safety. Do whatever you want.

Reactions: TMD5855

·
Registered
102 Posts
Third party LED lights in general can be sketchy. The cheap lighting units will often use too few LED's so the actual brightness will be far lower then the stock signal. I noticed this over the weekend when I was following two other riders and I could easily see the first rider signaling about 50ft in front of me, but signals of the closer rider w/ LED's were near impossible to see in the sun.

Seriously, if you're worried about safety and install aftermarket LED signals, turn them on and walk away from your bike. If you have a hard time seeing them when you're specifically looking for them, a car will have an even harder time.

Yes the stock signals are bulky, but i feel much better having them on as running lights vs some tiny LED flush mounts that look good but are useless.

·
Registered
223 Posts
LEDs are extremely bright... in the garage or overcast skies or dusk/dawn. They really suck balls in sunlight (that video you posted is a prime example... that wasn't no sunlight, son. Speaking of which, you ever seem to notice everyone who posts vids of their LED signals always do it inside the garage or during dusk or similar conditions? They never do it out in the bright sunlight... wonder why... must have something to do with it not being all that impressive and dim in the sunlight. Hmmm...). I mean, if you never ride out during sunlight conditions, then you're good (lol). Unfortunately while you are on your bike, you can never tell for sure. I went a whole 2 years of thinking nothing of it until a buddy of mine got on my bike and I followed him to be completely shocked at how barely visible 200 dollar (for a pair) LED signals are in the daylight.

But don't take my word for it. Its your own hide, you ride however you want to ride. And I know most of you are more concerned about looking cool than being hit by a car.

Truthfully, I don't think front signals really matter in general which is where all the flush mounts are mounted. Your biggest safety concern should come from your rear signals. I would be more concerned for the car coming up behind you more than anything.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Each is own. I will post a video in the full sun when you I get a chance. Over the years I had them on my R1 I could tell all the camera knew my intention with turning.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you're main concern is safety, wear all the gear all the time, take the MSF beginner class, ride a few months then take the confident rider class. Ride sober, smart, defensive and within your skill level. While the stock signals are more visible, I would not wory about switching to the TST flushmounts.

But, what do I know. Only been riding for 20 years

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just my opinion here. Ultimately it is your job to ensure your safety. Whether they were stock, third party, bright as the sun, arrows pointing You should never ever rely on a driver to know/think that you are turning or vic versa. first thing I did when I got my bike was installed the TST Flush mounts. Was I "thinking" safety with this mod? No. Because my safety came from other places. Yes, i turn my signals on when needed but that is never the end. Like everyone else has stated, if you are thinking on the side of safety leave the stock signals on as you have a much higher chance of being "seen".

Hope that helped! Safe Riding bro

·
Registered
64 Posts
They quite frankly suck. I really like the Ninja 300 front turn signals. They are integrated and angled in the body panels to be flush and very visible from the sides and front. If you get flush mounts they are more visible on the sides but as far as someone in front of you, they can hardly see them. The rear turn signals on the 300 aren't that bad either since it's a clear lens unlike our ugly orange ones.

·
Registered
326 Posts
These are sexy as ****!! I've never seen any like it.
Thanks. Took about 6 months or so and to get but they are well worth the wait. They look even better on my R1 as they are more precise fit. These are universal Yamaha signals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're main concern is safety, wear all the gear all the time, take the MSF beginner class, ride a few months then take the confident rider class. Ride sober, smart, defensive and within your skill level. While the stock signals are more visible, I would not wory about switching to the TST flushmounts.

Thanks a lot. I did take the MSF course which helps. Your post makes a lot of sense. I do have a bright white armored jacket I plan on wearing all the time which also has reflective lining along with my helmet which I plan on lining with reflective tape. I don't think the front turn signals are as important as the rear ones so I may end up keeping the flush mounts on and keep the rear signals stock. Thanks for the replies everyone

·
Registered
16 Posts
A very Subjective question, as you've seen by the members reactions.....

Primarily, The Triangle of Life must be seen by oncoming cars....via opposite lane or entering intersections from either direction.

The most deadly accidents originate from Intersections and the resulting motorcycle fatalities. Anywhere in the world, and keeping that in mind: See and be Seen!

More lights and light angles, the better your chances increase of being seen and not being hit.

Best of Luck on your final conclusion.

Cheers

·
Registered
140 Posts
Might be the wrong place to ask but ill have a go regardless,

Has anyone replaced the halogen bulbs in their indicators for LED ones? Im thinking of doing it, that way I can keep the large size plastic light diffuser but get a brighter bulb output from the LED.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Might be the wrong place to ask but ill have a go regardless,

Has anyone replaced the halogen bulbs in their indicators for LED ones? Im thinking of doing it, that way I can keep the large size plastic light diffuser but get a brighter bulb output from the LED.
Just did a little bit of recon on this as I have been curious about getting brighter bulbs also.

Pulled both front and rear globes apart and found 7440 single filament in the rear and a 7443 dual filament for the front (USA version). Not sure what the requirements are in Aussie Land but here in the States the front markers serve dual purpose. Just search for these and I'm sure you will find them readily available somewhere nearby.

Called DDM Tuning here in Cali and per them, their 7440/7443 LED bulbs serve the dual purpose for the front and/or single purpose for the rear. They have bulbs ranging from 150 lumens all the way up to 1300 lumens. They also have switchback bulbs which really have my interest now. So now, my objective is to find smallerish OEM fitment front markers with clear lenses.

Oh! I see that the Aussie version R3 has the clear front markers I need for the switchbacks. And they appear smaller in size. Wonder how much they would cost.

Forgot to mention, if you go LED you will need to get the flasher module. I already have the flasher for flushmounts but want to revert to something more visible.

·
Registered
350 Posts

Exactly! The first thing anyone teaches you even with your turn signals on many times drivers don't even see you. Wear something bright, don't be an a** and just turn. Wait and always hover your break.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you want my .02, if someone isn't paying enough attention to see your bike, they aren't paying enough attention to see the difference in turn signal. I couldn't stand how hideous the OEM turn signals were so I went flushmount. Yeah, they are almost useless during the daytime but they look so much better. Plus, they don't vibrate in the wind anymore.

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Flush mount discussion -> MSF -> ATGATT, thread delivered.

My LED flush mounts are pretty bright and stick out at least a little bit. At night they are very bright, imo.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts