Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2019 R3 and I love it. One of the reasons I chose the R3 was the relatively low seat height - I was hoping my wife could also use it to learn and take her licence (we currently live in Switzerland, so she has 4 months to practice, take 12 hours of compulsory training, then do the test). The problem is that she is very small - a shade under 5 feet (151 cm), weighing in at 86 pounds (39 kg). She can touch the ground with the toes of either foot, but not both feet at the same time.

She's had some experience riding much lighter bikes and scooters, but the size of the R3 is intimidating for her. After her first few rides, she's totally comfortable out on the road, but has dropped it twice while trying to turn it (on foot) on hills. She's fine and I couldn't care less about the damage, but she's naturally getting a bit discouraged at seeing snapped footpegs and clutch levers bouncing across the road.

My question is whether I am being completely unrealistic to think she can ride this bike. I think that with the right techniques and plenty of practice it should eventually be possible. And I want her to push herself, so in the future we can rent bikes abroad (where we're unlikely to have the option of a smaller bike).

So, is there any hope? Or should I forget it and buy her a little scooter?

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts
The problem is that she is very small - a shade under 5 feet (151 cm), weighing in at 86 pounds (39 kg). She can touch the ground with the toes of either foot, but not both feet at the same time.
So, is there any hope? Or should I forget it and buy her a little scooter?
You may be unrealistic to believe she'll ever be comfortable on a 'sports bike" like the R3, CBR300R, Ninja400, etc. Yamaha and Honda both make "cruiser" style bike with a lower seat at 27.2"... Honda's Rebel 300 and 500, Yamaha's V Star 250 and Bolt 942cc. My point is there are other style motorcycles that would fit a smaller person better than a "sports bike" or "standard". So why not find one she's comfortable with. If the bike's not comfortable, she nor anyone else, will ever feel safe, and the motorcycle will end up collecting dust in the garage.. If you travel and want to rent a bike.. you can always rent another cruiser that has a low seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the motorcycle will end up collecting dust in the garage.
I'll still be using it, so no danger of it gathering dust :)
If you travel and want to rent a bike.. you can always rent another cruiser that has a low seat.
Cruisers are virtually impossible to find in the places we tend to go (as are rental helmets, but they're easier to bring or buy). We want to either invest in getting her trained on a fairly big bike, or give up on that dream and put her on 125cc for going to the shops. Here in Switzerland, there's a lower grade licence (which is cheaper and easier) for riding up to 125cc. Maybe something like a Honda MSX 125 could still be fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As long as you're taller than a keg of beer, you should be good. Seriously... look at Dani Pedrosa, he was a world champion moto gp rider on a 200mph+ beast.

Reactions: Harry
1 - 5 of 5 Posts