Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
how to turn clutch lever locknut

i tried by hand and using plier, can't turn the locknut. how to turn the locknut?
and which direction to unscrew it, A or B?

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Direction 'B'.
Both knurled adjusters unscrew counter-clockwise (Lefty Loosey).
Big one is the locking one. Uncsrew that one first so the adjsuter can turn.
Ignore if you know that last part already. Just covering all bases with that....

The locking one can be pretty tight. Cover with electrical tape and use locking pliers on it so you don't scar it up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used a plier that big and still it is not moving, i have to bring it to the service centre and complain

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've said before that mine is extremely tough to turn. Either by hand or pliers. Haven't had the chance to go to dealer, but plan on it. Pliers couldn't really move them much and I think the clutch cable is too tight.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
If you get tired of fighting it, you could just adjust the other end.....(at the clutch housing).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got it to the service and he used the same that big plier however he clamp on the whole ring. i only clamped on the side, there goes the difference, and now it is moved, and hand adjustable, there was a plier mark on my locknut, now there are more. i think they used a plier to tighten it.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
got it to the service and he used the same that big plier however he clamp on the whole ring. i only clamped on the side, there goes the difference, and now it is moved, and hand adjustable, there was a plier mark on my locknut, now there are more. i think they used a plier to tighten it.
Glad it's finally loosened. Use a black permanent marker to cover up the marks on it....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Next time, take a flat head screw driver, wrap a cloth around the end. Put it in the notch and give it a soft whack in the direction you need it to turn. If you do happen to Mar the surface its on the inside, works great!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don't think anybody mentioned it but you can take a flat head driver and use the notch in the large lock nut to loosen.
No protection needed. It's very easy. turn like a normal driver clockwise to lock and counter to unlock, it didn't scratch a thing just a twist of the wrist, doesn't need a whack. Both were aligned just for photos sake but when tightened make sure both notches are not together.

·
Registered
124 Posts
.... but the only time you should have to whack on it, is if it came too tight from the shop. It's knurled because it's supposed to be finger tight, it's wide because you want to be able to get a little bit of leverage on it with your fingers.

·
Registered
321 Posts
With the amount of blue Loctite I have found taking my bike apart I wouldn't be surprised if they loctited the clutch adjuster too!
I don't think what you're seeing is blue locktite. It's a marking pen that they use on each bolt once they torque it down so they dont forget and miss one.

You could be right though, I'm not sure what you're seeing.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't think what you're seeing is blue locktite. It's a marking pen that they use on each bolt once they torque it down so they dont forget and miss one.

You could be right though, I'm not sure what you're seeing.
It was loctite. It was on the bolt threads for my rear sets. I had to heat it up and the loctite was running off the threads. Plus, I use a lot of loctite because of racing. I know what it looks like. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts