Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering if the headlights on the R3 are adjustable? If so, which bolts are the adjusting bolts (a photo would be amazing)! I looked throughout the manual and could not find anything about adjusting the headlights. Likewise I could not find anything on the forums either.

Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Stirz can you post a photo of that page with the instructions? Tweaking the scatter and throw of my headlights might be a better idea I think, wanna get more height on my high beams for night cornering.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Stirz can you post a photo of that page with the instructions? Tweaking the scatter and throw of my headlights might be a better idea I think, wanna get more height on my high beams for night cornering.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I won't do that (copyrighted material) as risk vs. reward isn't to my liking. Using the photo below and a screwdriver, you can adjust beam direction, but maybe not scatter - I'd think that is related to bulb to lens distance and may not be readily adjustable.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
See my earlier post - red arrows point to four places. The two closest to the middle of the headlight assy are up/down adjustment. Turn the screw one way and light beam goes up, turn it the other way and it goes down. The other two are for right/left. Easiest way would be to have bike near vertical pointed at a wall with some kind of reference mark (tape) - not sure how much adjustment is possible as I have not done it myself. Just like your 4-wheel type vehicle, each light has its own set of adjustment screws.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Striz! Always saving the day.

Sendler great beam aiming. Also, how do you get 79 MPG? I get 50MPG, with mixed highway and city riding. I'm in LA so its mostly lane splitting at about 2K or 3K rpm to keep the engine roaring so drivers hopefully now I am coming and with useful power to get out of situations. Without splitting I go about 70-80MPH on the highway. City I got about 35-50MPH depending and am in 4th or 5th gear depending.

How are your riding habbits?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks Striz! Always saving the day.

Sendler great beam aiming. how do you get 79 MPG?
I never even touched the headlight aim. Just put in the bulb and that's how it is. The R3 has the best headlight reflector design of any vehicle I own. Although my Honda PCX150 is exceptional also.
Hypermiling. Lean down on a tank bag to get out of the wind. rpms at 4-5,000 through town and coast up to stop signs and red lights with minimal braking. PulseNGlide on the highway at 65 mph. See Ecomodders.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to know Sendler. I'm guessing that is low beam only then? I was going to adjust my high beam higher. From my 300 the high beam was aimed extremely high nearly 2x as high as the r3. I rode with it on at night all the time for extra visibility (for others). I figured if it's way up I am not blinding on coming traffic or blinding rear view mirrors.

Thanks for the shifting tips. I shift at 7k or so in the city. And 65MPH? Really, hereost people are going 70-80MPH. He slow lane is the only on at 65 but there's always people merging and getting off. I thought about doing the whole full tuck thing and was skeptical on weather it would help much or not. I guess it does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts