Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This procedure takes only 10mins or less.

Bulb Size: 194 "Used 194 LED @ oreillys"
If you want to be different get a different color 194 LED "hint hint RED"

First you will need to remove the top cover on both sides.

3 bolts out and 3 plastic screw inner where the arrows are pointing. When removing this panel you will have to side the cover down towards the back wheel. Its a slide and pull up.

Removing Speedometer, Two bolts one on each side.

After removing the speedometer locate the AUX light/wire and pull it straight out.

Insert your new LED aux bulb and test before putting the bike back. If it does not work flip the bulb as it maybe inserted incorrectly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry we have like 3 threads on this now I think.

A couple of us got this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VORB7M

Another guy said "nah that's not enough, go for the brightest":
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...19-smd-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/1563/
Yes, I think I am the guy you are referring to. This is, in my experience, the brightest 194 bulb that will fit in our housing. You literally have less than one mm of space between the front of the bulb and the diffuser. The stupid diffuser should be clear or have more clear spots so the LED can actually project further.

But if it is this easy to change it out I suppose one can get cheaper LEDs and constantly change them out, but I took apart the entire front to get access to it so... Also, more light is better, you never know when this extra brightness is going to save your ass.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
THIS is so much easier than taking the whole front nose apart! Good job. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
175 Posts

3 bolts out and 3 plastic screw inner where the arrows are pointing. When removing this panel you will have to side the cover down towards the back wheel. Its a slide and pull up.

After removing the speedometer locate the AUX light/wire and pull it straight out.

Insert your new LED aux bulb and test before putting the bike back. If it does not work flip the bulb as it maybe inserted incorrectly.

Thanks for sharing! Appreciate the effort to put this together for noobs like myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just did this today and it's so much easier. Gonna see if the mods can edit my tutorial so people in the future don't have to waste so much time taking every front panel off. The other suggestion of just grabbing the AUX socket and wires out without taking out the dash or the front panels only partially worked for me; I was able to get the bulb out and put a new one into the socket, but trying to fit the socket back into the housing so that it'd sit flush was impossible for me because my hand was always shoving it in at an angle.

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Changed mine to the Philips bulb this weekend. Before, the aux light was relatively yellow to the main headlights. Now, it looks comparatively blue (just for reference, I was kinda hoping it would be closer to the color temp of the headlights). It's a little brighter that the original bulb imo. The original bulb was already turning black inside. To the guy that was shopping for the brightest bulb -- it's just an accent / aux light, it's not supposed to light up the road, just a bit more attention grabbing to other drivers. I am still devising how to get aux lights onto my mirrors ...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Would be kind of neat and usefull to have this light pulse like those modulated headlights do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question i had some 194 led bulbs on my cars that been running fine for a long time, So i took the 194 bulb swap it out put the led version works great. Then the next day i go turn it on and its out? replaced it again because had more went out for a night drive checked it when i got home and it was fine. Next morning went out again -_- just wondering if anyone had this experience. I did order some new ones so hopefully it was just the batch i had before not sure for the reason.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would be kind of neat and usefull to have this light pulse like those modulated headlights do.
Im on the search of trying to make one ;)

Question i had some 194 led bulbs on my cars that been running fine for a long time, So i took the 194 bulb swap it out put the led version works great. Then the next day i go turn it on and its out? replaced it again because had more went out for a night drive checked it when i got home and it was fine. Next morning went out again -_- just wondering if anyone had this experience. I did order some new ones so hopefully it was just the batch i had before not sure for the reason.
never seen this issue before.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for your guide its really helpful.

Some time ago, I had saved the thread for future reference and now, that I have come back, I realize that the images are broken (links); I hope you can fix them.

Best of luck :)

Best Regards.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I did this LED auxiliary bulb swap today.It IS indeed as easy as the OP said it is! Just use a "headlamp" orother source of light so you can see what you are doing.

The hardest and slowest parts are removing the top/side left and right fairing pieces and reinstalling them.

Once they are off, the 2 bolts holding the instrument panel each come off with an 8mm socket, you lay the instrument panel aside, and the auxiliary light bulb is encased within a rubber plug that simply pulls out rearward. Note the orientation before you pull it out, so that you know how to later re-insert it.

Before re-installing the instrument panel, turn on the ignition to make sure the LED lightsup. if it does not, reverse its polarity by taking it out of its receptacle and turning it 180 degrees. Then test agaim.

Once the LED lights properly when tested, remount the instrument panel, being careful to engage BOTH the left side and right side "tabs" above/infront of the 28mm headed bolts.THEN re-insert each 8mm headed bolt, and tighten. The tabs keep the panel from tilting downward so are important. The botls won'tgoin properly if you have not engaged the 2 tabs properly.

The resulting clean white auxiliary light is a big improvement over the OEM yellow.

Jim G

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I finally did the swap and it was really easy.

Really happy with the outcome; I ended up using the Philips LED and as you can see (attached picture), the OEM light was almost dead.

I'm really thankful for the tutorial :D

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, too bad the photos aren't there anymore. I just did this on mine and the hardest part is the fairing. What you have to do once you have removed the screws and plastic holdy things is to push down and slide back. It comes off pretty easily then. When you put these fairings back, make sure you are having the bottom of the plastic part that sticks farthest down into the bike catch on the places where the two plastic holdy things go. If you look at that part of the farming you will see it has two little brackets that are meant to catch on that place down below. If you don't do this, the fairing will be stuck out of place. Ask me how I know!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts