Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
If you time it right you can blip the throttle and rev match without the clutch. It'll unload the transmission to make the shift pretty easy. Only a small amount of effort on the shifter will pop it in and out of gear. I'll do it occasionally, but usually just use the clutch.

If you were to just smash the shifter down to change gears it would definitely be rough on the machine. Nothing on the bike should require much force. If it does, you are messing something up

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you time it right you can blip the throttle and rev match without the clutch. It'll unload the transmission to make the shift pretty easy.
In this scenario you should still be using the clutch, but instead of easing it out you just drop the clutch with your blip. I do this quite frequently on the track. You can do it without the clutch but there is no advantage and very high risk of not timing your blip right and breaking something.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe a dumb question but were you downshifting without the clutch as well? Isn't this hard on the clutch? I've done a couple upshifts by accident without the clutch.
I was only upshifting. I believe its not good on the gearbox to do it on downshifts. When I change down I usually rev match so its a smooth down shift. Ive done a video on that also.

https://youtu.be/uwI0fg-3O64

1 - 5 of 5 Posts