Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I'm getting that you can't remove the windscreen without removing the upper fairing?
Yeah, I mean, you can kind of bend it out of the way to try to wriggle the windscreen out, but you won't be able to get it back in... The correct way is to remove the upper, which is pretty quick and easy. You can tell it's suppose to be removed, it separates easily from the rest of the headlight assembly.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Yeah, I mean, you can kind of bend it out of the way to try to wriggle the windscreen out, but you won't be able to get it back in... The correct way is to remove the upper, which is pretty quick and easy. You can tell it's suppose to be removed, it separates easily from the rest of the headlight assembly.
Thanks!

I appreciate your sharing all of these mods with us...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for this write-up, I ordered the lightly smoked "sport" windscreen from Yamaha and will need this eventually. Now if I can just get over my fear of breaking or losing plastic clips/screws...

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for this write-up, I ordered the lightly smoked "sport" windscreen from Yamaha and will need this eventually. Now if I can just get over my fear of breaking or losing plastic clips/screws...
As far as breaking tabs, the sooner you work on the bike the better, when the plastic is fresh, it's strong and flexible, as the bike ages, the plastic becomes brittle. So do the work asap and it's much more forgiving :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know you gave a detailed way of removing the screen to replace it easily, but the fact is this is not required if you watch some of the videos for the R6. Once you disconnect the four plastic screws, and remove the two mirrors, the plastic is quite pliable. You reinsert the rubber grommets in the four holes on the new screen and carefully lift the side panels and slowly insert the two bottom tabs. It took me several times until I had the grommets and tabs in place before I reassembled it. If you are careful, you can save yourself a large amount of time. I used the Powerbronze windscreen, although I had to wait a month to get it from England. I have the hugger on order now, and it attaches to a replacement chain guard, and it's molded together. I felt this was the best item available, but it does cost $175 American.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The correct way only takes a few minutes, it's like, 10 more screws, and 6 more clips, than doing it the wrong way and prying it in and out and risking breaking something. Up to you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
1st picture - bone stock
2nd picture - with smoked windscreen and a few other mods

Sorry, don't have pictures from the exact same angle to compare.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks great, just did mine today by following the printed instructions it came with.
Took off the mirrors, unscrewed the 4 Phillips holding it in, popped out the factory one slipped in the new one screwed everything back in & done.
It only took about 10 minutes & looks so much better!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't think so. It's shorter than the stock one, so I imagine wind deflection isn't as effective.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Why are you selling it in the For Sale section?
It didn't do what I was looking for. I think I actually need a tall one. I was getting buffeting off of the original screen right in my visor so I wanted to move the airflow down below my helmet but the sport shield didn't make too much difference so I'm going the opposite way and get a big one.

Marc

·
Super Moderator
97 Posts
Ah... I was unsure about another windscreen since I noticed the gap on the bottom still allows air towards the riders face. Part of me like it when there's dew outside and the shield on my helmet fogs up but another part of me wonders if it creates unnecessary drag since it flows to the back of the cluster and then shots straight up towards the rider that's tucked behind the screen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts